Airfix 1/48th Tiger Moth

Hi everyone.

Next off the bench is the new Airfix Tiger Moth. A nice simple kit that went together surprisingly quickly for me.

Living in Cambridge all of my life I wanted to build G-AHIZ , which along with it's sister airframe G-AOEI has been

burbling around the city for as long as I can remember.  

A couple of firsts for me making this one, rigging a bi-plane and DIY decals both of which went reasonably well.

I needed to make a few modifications to accurately make G-AHIZ , this included an extended exhaust pipe, a generator on

the underside, a new pitot tube assembly, a couple of whip aerials and a rear view mirror mounted on the port centre strut.

Painted with Alclad semi matt silver and a mix of MRP yellow with a few drops of red for the fuselage colour. For the rigging I used EZ line

Thanks for looking, gazza l 

Here she is in real life at Cambridge.

DSC_0973

DSC_0971

DSC_0970 DSC_0969

DSC_0966

DSC_0974 DSC_0972

• Like 57
  • Thanks 1

That is beautifully done.  Having flown IZ and EI many times you model really does justice to the real thing.  I hope to have a go at building them both at some point - you have set the bar high, well done sir.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah that's a stunning rendition of the Tiger Moth, really neat looking scheme. It's nice you made one you see in real life, there must be quite a few still knocking around.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Harold55 said:

This is a fantastic lookin aircraft!  I am curious regarding the decals.  If you printed them, what font were you using?

Thanks Harold55.  I used Bahnschrift font, not a perfect match but close enough for me. 

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, gazza l

• Thanks 1

A fine build and a lovely picture of the real one too.

These things were all over the skies in the fifties and sixties, along with civil Ansons and Dc-3s: a wonderful time to be fascinated with aeroplanes.

Your fine work brings back fond memories,

Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1