Twin Mustang F-82G

Since my last post, I have sealed in the aluminium paint work and masked it up. Then I began airbrushing the red parts. The white primer really makes the red pop, 3 light coats down and I'm pretty happy with the results. 

2020-06-22_08-49-36

• Like 7

With the red down and sealed in, I masked her up and began work on the olive Drab nose. This was a simple task and sprayed and settled well. 

IMG_20200627_170331

I have also added some details to the canopy frame, and the machine gun hatch.

IMG_20200627_170335

Work on the props has also begun, the blades are already fixed to the spinners..... Bit of a pain but nothing too bad. Next step: apply some decals and continue work on the props and undercarriage. 

• Like 8

Missed the start of this one Michelle and it's nearly finished!

Looking very nice, especially the variation on the metal finish - great job :) 

• Thanks 1

Since my last post I have been busy attaching the decals to the build. Using Micro set, and a cotton bud, the decals came off the backing and settled surprisingly well. 

IMG_20200629_165935 IMG_20200629_165928

They really bring the build to life. I have also been painting the props. As I said before, the blades are already attached to the spinner, so it is tricky to mask. I opted for liquid mask, so I could get around the blades and keep the spinner nice and red. Luckily it worked well. 

IMG_20200630_195803

Just need to tidy up the wheels and we are nearly there. 

• Like 8

On 6/8/2020 at 2:48 PM, Graham Boak said:

One pilot, one navigator/radar operator.  A problem with the configuration was that the pilot flew it as if he was at the centre of a conventional fighter, making the navigator travel in some very involved trajectories when manoeuvring.

Yep- I got to spend some time with a girl friend's father, who flew them in Korea, chatting about what it was like to fly one. Said when turning you had to keep the needle and ball off-center- if you didn't, the R.O. got plastered against the sidewall in his cockpit!

Mike

@Shelliecool,

Probably isn't a big deal, and  too late for your build, as I just now discovered your WIP, but IIRC the chord of the wing center section is too narrow- I think it was discussed and the fix illustrated a while back here on BM, if you are interested. I think I saved a kit review/build article that showed this- I will look for it, and if I find it, I can post the details. My favorite is the Merlin-powered P-82B, for which I have two DB/Airwave resin cowlings that are used to convert the Monogram G into a B. Hope this helps you and others, Shellie!

Mike

Looking pretty good so far, though! You see very few of them built.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/72nd_aircraft/f-82g-t8972.html

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/215277-special-hobby-172-f-82g-vs-monogram-f-82g-pt2/

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Shelliecool said:

are my props the correct way round? 

You got them right, Shellie! On the XP-82, they rotated up towards the centerline, as on the P-38, and this caused  a lot of turbulent airflow and stalled the center section, so the engines were swapped one side for the other so that the props rotated down towards the centerline, which solved the problem.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With the props on, and pitot tubes and antenna attached the only thing left to do was varnish the build. I decided to keep the metal finish parts with a slightly glossier finish, and gave the red and olive drab a blast of satin. As always I made sure I thinned the satin down well as it is very thick, but it settled well and completed the build well. With that done the build is complete. It has posed its challenges, flash and poor fit being the worst of it all but that is to be expected with an older kit. However, I am pretty happy with the finished build and have enjoyed the challenges it threw at me. 

IMG_20200705_133124 IMG_20200705_133140 IMG_20200705_133147 IMG_20200705_133153 IMG_20200705_133217 IMG_20200705_133228 IMG_20200705_133256

Thanks for joining me on my journey, I will post some more photos in the ready for inspection forum. 

• Like 7