Twin Mustang F-82G

My next build, as chosen by my two boys, is Monogram's 1:72 Twin Mustang F-82G. It appears to be a Revell kit, reboxed by Monogram. I plan to build the kit straight from the box, using Vallejo acrylics in place of Revell. Lets get down to business and see whats in the box. 

IMG_20200525_151805

The box art is pretty basic, and once open there is again a basic black and white instruction sheet. There is a small decal sheet with the option of 2 liveries. 

IMG_20200525_151825 IMG_20200525_151902

There are 5 grey sprues, these have some flash and some detailing (most of the panel lines are raised). 

IMG_20200525_151917 IMG_20200525_151924 IMG_20200525_152001

I have already given the sprues a wash, and the interior sections a coat of Vallejo primer. I am looking forward to any challenges the kit may throw at me, and can't wait to get started. 

• Like 11

I set to work airbrushing the fuselage interiors, seats and cockpit floor with Vallejo interior green. Then I airbrushed the machine guns with gunmetal and the instrument panels and radio reciever in black.

IMG_20200528_152702

Once dry I started work building the wings, fixing the machine guns inside the centre section before joining the halves together.

2020-05-30_10-46-26

There was a lot of flash, and they didn't fit perfectly, so once dry I had to sand them for a more even fit. Then I built up the cockpits, placed the decals on the instrument panels, and waited for them to dry. 

IMG_20200528_160247

I then joined both fuselage halves together, they actually joined easily, it wasnt a tight fit and no gaps at all. 

IMG_20200529_083724 IMG_20200529_083739

Once dry I will begin sanding down the seams, I know silver and metallic colours are not very forgiving, so aim to remove as much of the seams as possible. 

• Like 8

Over the past week I have been busy sanding both sets of seams, hoping to make them invisible once painted. It has been a tough job, the age and quality of the kit hasn't helped. Finally happy, I begam assembly. Securing the first fuselage onto the wing. 

IMG_20200605_173222

This slotted in easily and was soon secured into place. I then added the second fuselage, and removed the tail section from the sprue, only to find it has Made in China stamped on it🙄. A lot of sanding later, the kits country of origin was removed and I finally joined the aircraft at the tail. 

IMG_20200605_180033

• Like 11

Nice start, you are taking this to another level.

Be careful not to mix the propellers up as they are handed ie: one turns clockwise the other anti clockwise.

Looking forward to the next instalment

Stay safe          Roger

• Thanks 1

Excellent choice! I built this a few years back. By the way this is NOT a Revell

kit and never was. Revell may have used the molds but it is and always was

a Monogram kit. I grew up in the 50s and 60s on a "diet" of good old Monogram

and Revell kits. The only thing to watch for is the handed props, as mentioned above.

Enjoy!---John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 07/06/2020 at 15:44, Johnv said:

Excellent choice! I built this a few years back. By the way this is NOT a Revell

kit and never was. Revell may have used the molds but it is and always was

a Monogram kit. I grew up in the 50s and 60s on a "diet" of good old Monogram

and Revell kits. The only thing to watch for is the handed props, as mentioned above.

Enjoy!---John

Thank you, strange however as it took me ages to sand off the Revell stamp and date on one of the pieces🤔

Thanks again, 

Michelle 

On 07/06/2020 at 18:22, dogsbody said:

I've got one of those in my small Monogram collection.

49981578877_5e6a2f56ca_b.jpg

And yes, it's always been Monogram.

49981592737_57e1c02b57_o.jpg

Chris

Thanks Chris, you have a really cool looking stash. 

Interestingly, Ive just looked at my instruction booklet and that has Revell on it also🤔

2020-06-08_08-29-58

Thanks again, 

Michelle 

• Like 2

One pilot, one navigator/radar operator.  A problem with the configuration was that the pilot flew it as if he was at the centre of a conventional fighter, making the navigator travel in some very involved trajectories when manoeuvring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

One pilot, one navigator/radar operator.  A problem with the configuration was that the pilot flew it as if he was at the centre of a conventional fighter, making the navigator travel in some very involved trajectories when manoeuvring.

That's kind of what I was thinking. 

Strange machine. 

Another question; how much of it was "Mustang" and how much was 'something else'? 

• Like 1

Got pictures of that Revell logo before you sanded it off? Revell used the molds or

acquired them when the 2 companies merged years ago that's why it has Revell

instructions. It was done in China for Revell once, not sure when.---John

TJ7i5pg.jpg

• Like 2

Another interesting build Michelle. Mrs Martian did say though that should one of these suddenly land at Martian Towers, she will be sending the Witch Smeller Persuivant round.

Cowed of Mars 👽

• Haha 1

I watched a YouTube program the other day about Monogram amongst other manufacturers and the ins and outs of manufacturers tie ups and devorces is a muddy pool in some cases. Before FROG went to the wall I built an early shot of their F82 which I don't think they released. However, I have a very vague idea that Revell did!

Keith

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Johnv said:

Got pictures of that Revell logo before you sanded it off? Revell used the molds or

acquired them when the 2 companies merged years ago that's why it has Revell

instructions. It was done in China for Revell once, not sure when.---John

TJ7i5pg.jpg

Sadly no I haven't, but it looked like  the image you have attached...... Thank you for solving the mystery 😁

Michelle 

• Like 1

No problem, I will be doing this kit again someday. I will be watching

this build for "home improvement" ideas, will do NMF with arctic red

scheme next. Keep up the good work.---John

• Thanks 1

Since my last post I have masked up the inside of the cockpits and given the build a coat of Vallejo white primer. This went on well, and I left it to dry. I then began adding preshading panel lines with a dark grey. With 2 fuselage sections, this took a while, but now she is ready for a splash of colour. 

IMG_20200614_091350

• Like 6

Very nice work so far. I built this for the Mustang Single Type Group Build earlier this year and found it to be surprisingly good considering its age. Looks especially good in the Arctic day fighter scheme😉 This reboxing has particularly good decals included as well, shouldn't pose you any problems. 

On 6/8/2020 at 10:02 PM, jhutchi said:

Another question; how much of it was "Mustang" and how much was 'something else'? 

Apart from the extra flying surfaces it was essentially two extended P-51H fuselages. It was a successful design produced in surprisingly large numbers. This type still holds the propeller-driven fighter record for the longest non-stop flight: Hawaii to New York! 

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In concept it was essentially two extended P-51H fuselages, however in practice it had new wings, fuselages, tails, engines, undercarriages.  John Bunyan's axe?  There may have been some common parts, but a fairly low percentage.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

In concept it was essentially two extended P-51H fuselages, however in practice it had new wings, fuselages, tails, engines, undercarriages.  John Bunyan's axe?  There may have been some common parts, but a fairly low percentage.

Paul Bunyan's axe.

Look at the wonderful cockpit details that were included in this old kit. Way ahead of it's time.

50003257741_165a3e8dfe_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 3

I thought I heard during the restoration of the XF-82 that the commonality of parts between this and the standard P-51 was less then 10%. They looked similar, but shared very few parts.

This build is looking pretty good.

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 1

Since my last post I have given the build a coat of Vallejo Aluminium. I always find this particular paint rather thick, so I carefully thinned it down and gave it a blast. It settled well, and the white undercoat was definitely the right choice. Today, I decided to add a little steel to several places on the build, to add some weathering. Happy with the results I have just unmasked the aircraft, next I plan to seal that in with Quick shine, before spraying the red sections. 

2020-06-17_10-56-04

• Like 6