Which one is Light Stone the most?

Nenad Ilijic

Hi guys,

I'm currently building Valentine II. I would like to paint it in Lite Stone BSC 61. I have three paints to choose from: LIFECOLOR, Mission Models and AK Real Color.

I painted some samples to compare and they are quite different (especially RC).

I know that there is not the right answer, but which one is closest to Light Stone BSC 61 in your opinion? I am looking for lightly weathered vehicle that has been on the field for a month or so.

Here are some photos:

20200525_181829

20200525_181919

Best,

Nenad

Mike Starmer describes  Light Stone as "A light, very yellow sand".   So of those three swatches posted, RealColor looks the closest.

Incidentally, I've seen the MM paint posted on another forum, and there too it was deemed as incorrectly having a pink tone to it, so likely a bad batch or incorrectly labelled bottle.

regards,

Jack.

The Mission Models sample does look very much like Desert Pink Z1.  I would hang on to it as that colour.  Their advertsising for Light Stone shows swatches very much like the Real Colour, so you might well have a mis-labelled bottle.  I note that they label this colour as RAL 61 rather than BSC 61. 

Real Colours have come in for a panning in some quarters and some are definitely "off". Their Desert Pink is almost BS Salmon, for example.  I read somewhere that the current UK Light Stone colour used in Afghan and Iraq is exactly the same colour as the WW2 version and to my eye the Real Color is a close match - accepting different eyesight, monitors, graphics cards, camera sensors, file save formats and monitor colour value personalisation.  We don't all necessarily see exactly the same thing.

The Life Color is way off.  It's neither Light nor Portland Stone.  It's more like uniform Khaki Drill, if anything.

20 hours ago, JackG said:

Mike Starmer describes  Light Stone as "A light, very yellow sand".   So of those three swatches posted, RealColor looks the closest.

Incidentally, I've seen the MM paint posted on another forum, and there too it was deemed as incorrectly having a pink tone to it, so likely a bad batch or incorrectly labelled bottle.

regards,

Jack.

Thank you Jack. I'll try Mike Starmer's Tamiya recipe for Light Stone as well and compare. MM is not that pink in real life (it's a bit more pink on photo), but it's still closer to Desert Pink I guess.

19 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

The Mission Models sample does look very much like Desert Pink Z1.  I would hang on to it as that colour.  Their advertsising for Light Stone shows swatches very much like the Real Colour, so you might well have a mis-labelled bottle.  I note that they label this colour as RAL 61 rather than BSC 61. 

Real Colours have come in for a panning in some quarters and some are definitely "off". Their Desert Pink is almost BS Salmon, for example.  I read somewhere that the current UK Light Stone colour used in Afghan and Iraq is exactly the same colour as the WW2 version and to my eye the Real Color is a close match - accepting different eyesight, monitors, graphics cards, camera sensors, file save formats and monitor colour value personalisation.  We don't all necessarily see exactly the same thing.

The Life Color is way off.  It's neither Light nor Portland Stone.  It's more like uniform Khaki Drill, if anything.

Thank you. What is strange is that MM has Desert Pink in their offering (I have it as well) and it is not the same color. It is more pink and darker I would say. So I got a bad batch or they simply missed it with this one.

Life Color is like a very much washed version of RC. But at least it's not pink :)

Anyway, it's a pity cause I like both MM and LC better than RC (better, smooth finish, especially MM), but it is what it is.

Cheers,

Nenad

Hi all

To my eye the Tamiya "Buff" is the closest I have got to LS61, Not sure of other's experiences in that regard. May have been the South African LS61 version used in WW2 was slightly lighter than the UK one?

Tim

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I added @Mike Starmer mix to the comparison as well as MRP version of Light Stone. This will became new hobby of mine :)

There are two different photos, one on the sunlight, the other in the shade.

I'll go with Real Colors version for this build.

Here it is:

20200619_120359

20200619_120332

Best,

Nenad

• Like 1

The AK colour is nearest to BS.381C No. 61 Light Stone. It should be as it is based on my swatch sent to them.  I think the pink items are based on Humbrols No121 light stone and they have become befuddled by the same names and possibly misinformation on other forums. The current Afgan/Iraq colour is not the wartime shade.  It is BS.381C No.361 Light Stone which was a new colour introduced into the standard in 1948.  No.61 wasthen withdrawn.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2020 at 7:34 PM, Mike Starmer said:

The AK colour is nearest to BS.381C No. 61 Light Stone. It should be as it is based on my swatch sent to them.  I think the pink items are based on Humbrols No121 light stone and they have become befuddled by the same names and possibly misinformation on other forums. The current Afgan/Iraq colour is not the wartime shade.  It is BS.381C No.361 Light Stone which was a new colour introduced into the standard in 1948.  No.61 wasthen withdrawn.

Thank you Mike. Interesting indeed. It looks like that MRP version is definitely BS.381C No.361, not BS.381C No. 61 Light Stone. At least the one I used.

Best,

Nenad

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi guys,

There's an update regarding this topic. I bought new bottle of MRP's Light Stone recently and it was completely different compared to the previous one I used. Now, it matches Mike Starmer color chip perfectly. Don't know if they changed it or previous one was bad batch.

Nenad

I think that you may have had a dodgy one Nenad. The MRP Light Stone that I used on my Crusader was an older one in the glass bottle and it was a perfect match for my Mike Starmer swatch.

Wayne