Hobby Boss FAA Corsair II+++FINISHED+++

Greetings!

Here is my entry to the STGB, Hobby Boss Corsair II.

It has two FAA options in camouflage scheme, which i am usure of its accuracy, anyone with any knowledge of such matters please pitch in or i will blindly build it OOTB as per the instructions. I have taken photos of the colour profiles listed below..

This kit was purchased after i read the book The Kamikazi Hunters (cover pic below) which was a really good read. The FAA certainly deserves  more recognition of its exploits during WW2 particularly at the final stages in the Pacific.

Anyway, i am looking forward to this one, and hope to get started on the 29th.

Thanks for looking, Cheers Greg

49934928001_13be822289_z.jpg

49935230797_a9e317c656_z.jpg

49934928171_47a44ec568_z.jpg

49935230862_bc22f876bc_z.jpg

49934414143_f604a27612_z.jpg

49934928056_02ea8fdd1d_z.jpg

• Like 7

Both units are training squadrons - as the 700-series identity tells us.  The roundels on the box art are those for Indian Ocean, where 757 Sq was a Fighter Pool unit for various types, including Corsairs.  it looks as though both are probably accurate.  If you really want to reflect the anti-Kamikaze operations then you need British Pacific Fleet roundels, which are larger blue and white roundels with US-style bars.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Both units are training squadrons - as the 700-series identity tells us.  The roundels on the box art are those for Indian Ocean, where 757 Sq was a Fighter Pool unit for various types, including Corsairs.  it looks as though both are probably accurate.  If you really want to reflect the anti-Kamikaze operations then you need British Pacific Fleet roundels, which are larger blue and white roundels with US-style bars.

Thanks Graham, 

I quite like the scheme on these and recon, if correct, I will go with the Y2F option, which would be the training pool. 

Cheers Greg 👍

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Greg. Hope you are well. Looks like this is going to be an interesting project to follow. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix 👍 

I have only ever built the Easy kit Hobby Boss models previously. So it will be interesting to see how one of their more involved kits work out. 

🍺 Greg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Never built one of these Greg so i'm really interested to see how you get on with it, plus I really like FAA Corsairs!

Hi Craig,

I'm looking forward to it. Been a while since I built a bent wing "bird" 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Me too, will have to get my build up and running soon what with being a co-host and all!

Know that feeling. No pressure, huh :blush:

• Like 1

Looking forward to this build, I have a penchant for the Fleet Air Arm, I was fascinated with that book as well, a real eye opener! Another great read would be Carrier Pilot which also has a lot of FAA Corsair details in it. Any way great choice!

Bob

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, moaning dolphin said:

Looking forward to this build, I have a penchant for the Fleet Air Arm, I was fascinated with that book as well, a real eye opener! Another great read would be Carrier Pilot which also has a lot of FAA Corsair details in it. Any way great choice!

Bob

I will be reading Carrier Pilot next! 

• Like 1

I cant believe I didn't realise there was a Corsair group build going on! Great stuff. The 759 Sqn option has slightly undersized codes and it is also a MkIII (not that it matters).

Either way though both are good choices.

I cant see what the colour call out for the wheel hubs are but they would be either sky or aluminium.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 85sqn said:

I cant believe I didn't realise there was a Corsair group build going on! Great stuff. The 759 Sqn option has slightly undersized codes and it is also a MkIII (not that it matters).

Either way though both are good choices.

I cant see what the colour call out for the wheel hubs are but they would be either sky or aluminium.

You wouldn't happen to know what the main cockpit interior colour is would you? Hobby Boss have omitted most of the colour call.outs in the instructions?!😯

Cheers Greg

46 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

You wouldn't happen to know what the main cockpit interior colour is would you? Hobby Boss have omitted most of the colour call.outs in the instructions?!😯

Cheers Greg

I think it would be along the same lines as the Avenger where the cockpit area was a kind of dark green and other enclosed areas (not wheel wells) would have been a chromate yellow, although I have heard Salmon pink mentioned. There are a couple of references around that go into this subject, i'll see if I can hunt them down.

Found one! Half way down this page is a reference to US Corsairs and I think the majority of British Corsairs would be finished the similarly. The whole article (pts 1,2 and 3) make interesting reading on the intricacies of internal paints.

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/interior-colours-of-us-aircraft-1941-45-part-iii/

I was going to opt for a dark green interior for my Mk1 but I have pictures of my particular aircraft with yellow zinc chromate interiors outside of the cockpit as opposed to the salmon. These links also have some nice Corsair pics!

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/faa-corsairs-in-color.17962/#lg=post-484764&slide=6

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Corsair/RN.html

Hope this helps,

Bob

Edited by moaning dolphin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moaning dolphin said:

I think it would be along the same lines as the Avenger where the cockpit area was a kind of dark green and other enclosed areas (not wheel wells) would have been a chromate yellow, although I have heard Salmon pink mentioned. There are a couple of references around that go into this subject, i'll see if I can hunt them down.

Found one! Half way down this page is a reference to US Corsairs and I think the majority of British Corsairs would be finished the similarly. The whole article (pts 1,2 and 3) make interesting reading on the intricacies of internal paints.

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/interior-colours-of-us-aircraft-1941-45-part-iii/

I was going to opt for a dark green interior for my Mk1 but I have pictures of my particular aircraft with yellow zinc chromate interiors outside of the cockpit as opposed to the salmon. These links also have some nice Corsair pics!

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/faa-corsairs-in-color.17962/#lg=post-484764&slide=6

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Corsair/RN.html

Hope this helps,

Bob

Cheers Bob! 

I'll give those a good look before I start. 

I've started reading Carrier Pilot, and it's been great so far 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Cheers Greg

Both of these cockpits I would comfortably go with US interior Green.

Both have yellow zinc chromate interiors. The 759 Sqn option may have a light gray engine intake area.

On British Corsairs the wheel wells are practically always the underside colour.

Salmon pink was only used on early Corsair MkI's and maybe some MkII's.

Some early Corsair I's and II's may also have dull dark green cockpits which Vought certainly used on other aircraft (like the vindicator).

Carrier Pilot is one of my all time favourites.

Nick

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 85sqn said:

Both of these cockpits I would comfortably go with US interior Green.

Both have yellow zinc chromate interiors. The 759 Sqn option may have a light gray engine intake area.

On British Corsairs the wheel wells are practically always the underside colour.

Salmon pink was only used on early Corsair MkI's and maybe some MkII's.

Some early Corsair I's and II's may also have dull dark green cockpits which Vought certainly used on other aircraft (like the vindicator).

Carrier Pilot is one of my all time favourites.

Nick

Thanks Nick 👍

• Like 2

So I have started on the kit, with the cockpit as per the instructions.

The hobby boss kit is suitably busy in this respect, and very fiddly so far. I am pausing to consider seat belts before I join the front and rear sections of the pit. Some of the placement of the tiny side consul parts are a bit vague. The entire assembly will need careful handling prior to insertion in to the fuselage. Photos will follow.....

As for the book Carrier Pilot it's a really good read. I'm 40%through it and the author is familiarizing himself with the beast! Seems the aircraft was a big handful and not forgiving to pilot error. 

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 4

Its a great read along with the Kamikaze Hunters but the sobering thought is the amount of people that are introduced that end up dead, especially in the training and non operational times. It was a very unforgiving occupation.

Bob

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moaning dolphin said:

Its a great read along with the Kamikaze Hunters but the sobering thought is the amount of people that are introduced that end up dead, especially in the training and non operational times. It was a very unforgiving occupation.

Bob

These books help remind us that a lot of young men didn't last long enough to see active service. Training squadrons are often overlooked as part of the bigger picture. 

• Like 2

So, photos at last!

I have still to complete the cockpit assembly but as you can see from the instructions sheet it is quite involved. Fiddly little parts to add kept me on my toes. I am fashioning seat belts from tape and will fit these before i attach the two sub assemblies. The instructions are a bit vague in places and less than informative on colour but from info supplied by you has allowed me to make an informed decision on what to use, mostly!

Next up is the engine which is just as busy by i may push on to get the fuselage buttoned up first. TFL, Cheers Greg.

49967337587_e72fdf0ef3_z.jpg

49966556183_35302ec01a_z.jpg

49966555648_a70fd486a7_z.jpg

• Like 4