Trumpeter 1/48 De Havilland Sea Vixen F.A.W.2

Hi There,

For your delectation and delight I bring you my build of the.... Ahem.... accurate Trumpeter Sea vixen OOB except fot some tape belts and of course Decals from XtraDecal as the kits ones were very wrong.

I got this kit from a well known online seller in Brechin. A very very nice man. I also went into this with my eyes wide open regarding the criticisms of said kit.

This didn't bother me and to be fair to Trumpeter the fit was very very good. Everything went together with no real problems.

Painted with Mr. Finishing Surfacer White.

Colourcoats Extra Dark Sea Grey, Matt White and Light Aircraft Grey.

Finished with Winsor & Newton Galeria Satin Varnish.

b080pmS.jpg

p3l9vaJ.jpg

iDKNsLC.jpg

kB6p1pT.jpg

4YUNbu6.jpg

fjDGcvE.jpg

1ylRfWj.jpg

As always,

Thanks for looking and any comments and criticism are welcome.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 29

1 hour ago, Peter Collins said:

Looks like a really nice build, Great work

Thank-you very much

58 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

That's a great looking model Alistair!  Very nice work indeed sir.  :clap2:

Thanks so much for your kind words

Cheers,

Alistair

Just now, John Masters said:

Beautifully done.  I have one of these on the books.  I hope mine looks as nice.

Hi There,

Thank-you so much.

I've seen your work and I'm sure you will surpass my effort easily.

Cheers,

Alistair

1 minute ago, amos brierley said:

I think the Trumpeter kit is far better than what people give it credit for,  really nice work there.

Hi There,

Thanks for your kind comment.

I agree with you it's a really nice kit to build and looks the part when done.

Cheers,

Alistair

1 minute ago, Lord Riot said:

Absolute stunner! Is this the kit with white underwing serials to go on the white underside? Your aftermarket decals look much better!

Hi There,

Thanks very much and yes the kit decals are indeed the white ones. The ones I used were from XtraDecal

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

I too am unsure of the alleged inaccuracies but you have done a splendid job and as a model it looks great! I have an Airfix one on the books and I'm guessing that it will be far harder to build and I'm sure it will not look any better than yours.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, amos brierley said:

I think the Trumpeter kit is far better than what people give it credit for,  really nice work there.

I think you are a bit delusional Amos, it may fit together well  its just a Shame about the innacurate bit of the kit, you know the bit  that starts at the top of the tail and ends at the tip of the nose!🤣 

The Airfix kit is a far better representation, and If I recall correctly cheaper too!

Ali Gauld Its a lovely build anyway but I notice you didn't follow the painting guide in the instructions!

Selwyn

Now ducking for cover yet again!

Edited by Selwyn
  • Thanks 1

Very attractive model and it appears you built it to represent an airplane newly set on permanent static display. Am I correct? Model and base go well together.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Baldy said:

I too am unsure of the alleged inaccuracies but you have done a splendid job and as a model it looks great! I have an Airfix one on the books and I'm guessing that it will be far harder to build and I'm sure it will not look any better than yours.

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks very much but I'm sure it will be much better

9 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Ali Gauld Its a lovely build anyway but I notice you didn't follow the painting guide in the instructions

Many Thanks. I wasn't certain about the instruction colours and they didn't seem to look like the Sea Vixen in East Fortune. Anyway I was out of burnt iron so winged it. 

8 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Very attractive model and it appears you built it to represent an airplane newly set on permanent static display. Am I correct? Model and base go well together.

Thanks for that.

No, afraid not, that is a base I cobbled together for ease of photographing stuff so that I could move the kits without too much handling

Cheers,

Alistair

9 hours ago, Selwyn said:

If I recall correctly cheaper too!

Hi There,

I have to add that I got this for nearly half the retail price and that was probably the final kick I needed to get and build it. 

You can take the boy out of Aberdeen but you can't take Aberdeen out of the man. 😉

Cheers,

Alistair

10 hours ago, Selwyn said:

The Airfix kit is ..... If I recall correctly cheaper too!

Not cheaper than this one though! :whistle:

It looks like a Sea Vixen to me and very nicely done too. 

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Not cheaper than this one though! :whistle:

It looks like a Sea Vixen to me and very nicely done too. 

Duncan B

Many Thanks Duncan and thanks for the kit too. I've had fun with it.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

This looks great to me! A real tribute to your building and painting skills.

I think this is living proof that a kit's "inaccuracies" tend to disappear once its been completed. It's a shame that some folks spend so much time slagging a kit off and in doing so, put a lot of modellers off building the model. I guess that the flip-side of that is that you can pick up some nice kits for well below the list-price (as was the case here).

Thanks for sharing with us.

Chris.     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

This looks great to me! A real tribute to your building and painting skills.

I think this is living proof that a kit's "inaccuracies" tend to disappear once its been completed. It's a shame that some folks spend so much time slagging a kit off and in doing so, put a lot of modellers off building the model. I guess that the flip-side of that is that you can pick up some nice kits for well below the list-price (as was the case here).

Thanks for sharing with us.

Chris.     

Hi There,

As I said I read some reviews and went into this wit my eyes wide open, but when it's built up and painted I think it looks the part.

I build for my own enjoyment so as long as I have fun that's all that matters.

As to any alleged skills as Zaphod said "I got lucky"

Cheers,

Alistair

18 hours ago, Selwyn said:

I think you are a bit delusional Amos,

Hello Selwyn, no offence taken, clearly the tablets are working as those that know me better know I’m full blown delusional. As I’m progressing a TSR 2 kit from Airfix to better represent the real thing, then I can assure you about my modelling skills being top notch.  At the time I bought my Trumpeters offering the Airfix kit was nor available for sale, and I was being polite, I really liked the extra detail Trumpeter offers. But, not the shortness of the fuselage. I would like to just have some fun with it. 

• Like 2