Welkin

Date of Crash: 3 November 1942

Aircraft Type: Vengeance I

Serial Number: ?

Unit: 82 Sqdn

Pilot details: PO. W B BERRY

Source: ORB

Details: Crash landed aircraft breaking undercart - no casualties

I am trying to find out information about the above aircraft, particularly the serial number, but also any other markings that it might have had, although I think that 82 Squadron maybe didn't have unit codes at that time? The information above came from rafcommands.

I have AZ Models nasty 1:48 kit, part built, but I was going to throw it away until I came across this information, and I would now like to finish it in memory of the pilot. I knew Bill Berry, now sadly deceased, many years ago, when we were both working in Bahrain. He was a lovely guy - he had had an 'interesting' war - he had started as a subaltern in the HLI with the BEF in 1940; was evacuated from Dunkirk; transferred to the RAF, and ended up in Burma. I knew that he flew Thunderbolts but not with which squadron, but until I found the above I hadn't realised that he also flew the Vengeance.

Any suggestions as to where that I can find out information more would be most welcome.

Martin

The info you provided suggests that the 82 Sqn Operations Record Book didn't identify the serial number.  However, it may be possible to reduce the number of options by examining serial numbers of aircraft flown prior to the crash and those afterward.  Of course, this presumes that the ORB has the relevant appendix with lists of sorties to include serial numbers.  

You can download ORBs for free during the COVID-19 crisis from the UK National Archives website.  You need to create a log-in account and there are limits (only 10 items per shopping cart and only 50 items per month).  This is probably your best bet to identify the specific airframe.  

Hi

I have often seen aircraft record cards mentioned as being at the national archives by book authors, but whenever i asked they new about them

and i never found any 

any reference/file numbers for the NA very welcome if anyone found any 

otherwise my suggestion would be a request to the RAFM archive section

they hold copies of the aircraft movement cards that are held by the RAF AHB ( no longer accessible through them ) 

this site sometimes sells copies of the movement cards they used in producing the books they sell, not sure if ghey have vengeance serials but maybe worth a search 

https://www.raf-in-combat.com

cheers

jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry

4 hours ago, mhaselden said:

You can download ORBs for free during the COVID-19 crisis from the UK National Archives website.

Thanks guys; that all very useful, particularly that I can download from the National Archives for free as the moment.

Jerry - greetings from a fellow Devonian!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

I have often seen aircraft record cards mentioned as being at the national archives by book authors, but whenever i asked they new about them

and i never found any 

any reference/file numbers for the NA very welcome if anyone found any 

otherwise my suggestion would be a request to the RAFM archive section

they hold copies of the aircraft movement cards that are held by the RAF AHB ( no longer accessible through them ) 

this site sometimes sells copies of the movement cards they used in producing the books they sell, not sure if ghey have vengeance serials but maybe worth a search 

https://www.raf-in-combat.com

cheers

jerry 

Last I knew, the aircraft record cards were held at the RAF Historical Branch.  I believe it's now located at Northolt (it used to be at Bentley Priory and they certainly had the aircraft record cards at that time).  

59 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

Last I knew, the aircraft record cards were held at the RAF Historical Branch.  I believe it's now located at Northolt (it used to be at Bentley Priory and they certainly had the aircraft record cards at that time).  

Hi

there have been copies have been at rafm for some time now 

they have copies of the movement cards and crash record cards 

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research/default/archive-collection/aircraft-records.aspx

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

1 hour ago, Welkin said:

Thanks guys; that all very useful, particularly that I can download from the National Archives for free as the moment.

Jerry - greetings from a fellow Devonian!

Hi

i was raised on clotted cream, fish n chips and pasty 

hope to visit devon & UK again, one day when this virus stuff is over, and trace my family history around all the corners of devon 👍 😀

and walk the moors again 

just noticed your BM user name, if you are interested in the aircraft, i have a partial AP manual on my 'puter

just PM me your email

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 1