1/72 Airfix Whitley V

"Ops in a Whitley,

Ops in a Whitley,

Who'll come on ops in a Whitley with me?

And they sang as the bangs of the flack shook them o'er the Rhur,

Who'll come on a ops in a Whitley with me..."

Here is another in my lockdown stash clearance project.

Lovely kit, Airfix are really knocking them out the park of late.  Nothing to say really other than an enjoyable OOB experience.

Wellington next on my Bomber Command list.

resized_57ff1bd3-bdb9-4b6e-b7a3-e9297ef9

resized_68da45b4-8f05-4953-9bf7-46f52f44

resized_074d9d79-f2e2-4584-bb3b-91e219eb

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Excellent! Very nicely built and painted. I'm in danger of getting inspired to make some bombers myself, and I'm not sure my limited cabinet space could cope with that - I need lockdown to end so I can buy some glass shelves for my cabinet, and to get me doing something other than modelling as I really have been knocking them out...

• Thanks 1

I like this a lot! Beautiful work. Is just my eyes or is there a visible, painted green ring around the fuselage roundel?

A very dear, late friend served with No. 10 Squadron flying as a navigator in Whitleys. I already have the Airfix kit, so I will be building S-Sugar, piloted by Sgt. Abecassis...

Cheers,

Antti

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Antti_K said:

I like this a lot! Beautiful work. Is just my eyes or is there a visible, painted green ring around the fuselage roundel?

A very dear, late friend served with No. 10 Squadron flying as a navigator in Whitleys. I already have the Airfix kit, so I will be building S-Sugar, piloted by Sgt. Abecassis...

Cheers,

Antti

The green ring around the fuselage roundel is not your eyes deceiving you, Airfix print the decal with a very wide carrier, which is sized to represent the overpainting of the yellow ring I presume.

If so it's very clever of them as it does make life easier.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bangseat said:

Great job! It really is a nice kit. Does the navigator have his map decal displayed at a jaunty angle? 😉

Nope, it's tucked away safely in the Squadron Navigation room on base under armed guard. 👍

• Haha 2

The thickness of the leading edge by the fuselage always astounds me. I remember looking at Whitley's for the first time and thinking "That is the ugliest plane..." and now I have one proudly displayed in a cabinet! Albeit not as fantastic looking as this one. Good job!

• Thanks 1