Pocher beginner building a Roll Royce

Been quiet lately, things tend to slow down over summer. Current activity needs a lot of patience, I am cleaning up the panels for painting. Some areas need a lot of filling and rubbing down, I have got the doors nearly there, they were quite bad as supplied. Also the top of the firewall had some deep dents in it. Surprisingly the wings and running boards need no filler whatever, they are excellent.

i am trying to decide what paint to use, up to now I have used a Tamiya acrylics but the main body panels need a high gloss finish. I have an airbrush but am getting good results with aerosols which avoid a lot of cleaning. My main colour will be black but then a contrast colour on the sides. I
dont know yet whether I will need a clear gloss finish coat, need to do come testing..

Any recommendations on paint available in UK will be welcome.

spacer.png

I hope you checked for warps, fastener holes and figured a way to hinge doors for painting.

Acrylics are the wrong paints to use for high gloss and an airbrush is only suitable for the chassis and smaller parts.

My thread has detailed info on paint types and brands to use.

Yes I have read your articles but my query was for any paints that UK users have tried, some mention Halfords.

i am happy to get a few brands to trial before spraying the panels.

No sign of warping on the doors. You refer to a way to hinge the doors for painting but I wanted to paint the doors off the side panels. I have done some initial trial fits and adjustments.

Barry

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Barry said:

Yes I have read your articles but my query was for any paints that UK users have tried, some mention Halfords.

No sign of warping on the doors. You refer to a way to hinge the doors for painting but I wanted to paint the doors off the side panels. I have done some initial trial fits and adjustments.

Barry

If you attach the doors as the instructions show (by melting the pins to the hinges) you will do so with finish painted doors. The method I show has the hinges bolted in the doors and then the pins can be removed to install and remove the doors.

3 hours ago, Yorkshire Barry said:

No sign of warping on the doors.

My Alfa Monza body looked like it was okay - until I block sanded it and found all the depressions and local sinks.  It's worth doing!

Yes I found the same thing on most panels; the doors were particularly bad, the side panels need some work but I was surprised with the wings, they have been primed, rubbed down and primed again and still not a flaw anywhere. Amazing! As well as surface finish the comment about warping was relevant but in the case of my doors they are fine, no need for the hot blower!

And yes, my doors are bolted on, hot melt pins a bit like death, you only get one shot at it.

Still a long long way to go and as the weather deteriorates the work rate will increase!

Barry

23 hours ago, Yorkshire Barry said:

Barry

Halfords paint works quite well in my experience, and will probably be even better for you at 1/8 scale than for me at 1/24. Usually when I've used their paints, I've clear coated with model paint, so this is the only one which is fully painted in Halfords painted. For this one I raided old paint in the garage so colour and clear coats are about 10-11 years old, but still worked ok- the build up for this one is Halfords White Primer, Halfords Nissan Alaska Blue then Halfords Clear Coat, all from rattle cans.

49732047331_90aa5158b0_b.jpg

Pretty ropey isn't it? (There is probably a fair amount of operator error in there to be fair) The question you need to ask yourself is how much polishing do you want to do/can you face. I attacked this with 6000, then 8000 and 12,000 grit Micromesh before polishing with Tamiya Fine and Finish compounds, eventually getting it to look like this. So Halfords paints can take a polish and produce a good shine if you work on it.

49851119088_243d69f6f6_b.jpg

Halfords paints are acrylics and seem to have much more body than model paints and therefore I think are going to need more polishing. I know there is a lot or work to do but I want to get as good a finish as I can before i start the hard work. 

The good thing about Halfords paints is that are car colours, model paints are not muddy enough. My main colour will be black so not an issue but it will be for a contrast panel.

I seem to get a better surface with model paints but not the depth of gloss. I'll get a few cans of different makes and do some test panels.

I'll also go and talk to the model shop, I know he used to sell Pocher kits way back so probably knew what was used.

I know of the paints that Codger uses but not easily available here and very expensive when you find them. Also they seem to be more stock colours that are imported so wrong shades, just sort of white, black, red, yellow etc.

My panels are easier to paint than the car above as they are mainly flat so the spray angles are better controlled than an assembled car. That is why I am not going to paint the assembled body but I have had to make sure they all fit as I cannot be fettling a painted panel.

All good fun.

Barry

• 4 months later...

This takes me back to when I built my Pocher Rolls Sedanca, and would I build another one? Most definitely NO!! Saying that though, I am halfway through building the Alfa Romeo, mind you, it has not seen the light of day for quite some time. This one is looking brilliant by the way, and with Codgers help, you are on to a winner!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2021 at 11:28 PM, foxfriend said:

This takes me back to when I built my Pocher Rolls Sedanca, and would I build another one? Most definitely NO!! Saying that though, I am halfway through building the Alfa Romeo, mind you, it has not seen the light of day for quite some time. This one is looking brilliant by the way, and with Codgers help, you are on to a winner!

Wait, you are building an Alfa? Which model are doing? And do you take pictures to share with us as a WiP?

On 1/24/2021 at 5:28 PM, foxfriend said:

Larry, as Poul requests below, please post your Alfa here. Loved your RR and miss your work and stunning professional upholstery. The airplane guys have had you long enough !

Come back !:frantic: C

Sorry to disappoint Codger, but I will not be putting my Alfa build on here. I am a mere amateur compared to all the wonderful Pocher builds on this site. Anyway, I am building the Heller 1/8 Citroen on and off at the moment, in between my aircraft builds of course.

• Sad 1

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Lovely model in progress!   Those old Pocher classics do have their challenges.

The screws have a bad reputation for shearing off and the best thing to do is run a tap of the thread size through the holes first.

The thing I could never fathom out is the way that Pocher designed their tyres to fit onto their wheels.

The tyres are not going into a recess behind the rim as on a full size car wheel so if you get a tyre that has a moulding flaw on the edge that fits onto the wheel it will be highly visible.

• 1 year later...

Has this Rolls Royce model been finished since my last post on this thread? 

Would be interesting to see what it looks like now.

Incidentally if anyone is interested there is a very good modeller named John Haddock who has a website JRH Models with loads of super detailing stuff on it about the Rolls that can be downloaded.  Charts, Drawings etc.