1/48 Spitfire Collection

Hi All,

A few months ago, I made the brave step to switch to 1/48 models and I sold off a huge amount of 1/72 models I have built over the years (I kept a few of the really nice ones). Only in the last year have a made I return to modelling, having finished university and settled down in my first home (with enough rooms to have a few shelves up for models, oh the look on my girlfriends face when I told her of my plans!).

A few of you may remember that about 5 years ago I had built up a fairly large Spitfire collection, I decided to do something similar in 1/48. I've aimed to cover most major variants of the Spitfire, as well as a few theatres of operation. There was one main criteria for the builds, that is, all the Spitfires were to have the original wing (i.e. not the later laminar flow version), I also decided I wanted to model full span versions across all the builds to show how it was the one constant among all the marks.

I'm really pleased with how they've all turned out, I also now have a 1.2 metre shelf with 8 Spitfires (3 flights, nearly a whole squadron!) sat wingtip-to-fuselage on it :)

Spitfire Mk Ia N3200 - Tamiya 1/48

Spitfire Mk.Ia N3200/QV flown by Sqn. Ldr. Geoffrey Stephenson, No. 19 Squadron RAF, Duxford, England, 1940.

49716168817_368b69373e_b.jpg

Seafire Mk III NN452 - 1/48 Airfix Kit Bash

Seafire Mk.III NN452 S/141, flown by Lt. Cdr. N. G. "Buster" Hallet of 24 Naval Fighter Wing FAA, HMS Indefatigable, British Pacific Fleet, 1945.

49760028541_8e70497576_b.jpg

Spitfire Vb AB264 GN-H - Airfix 1/48

Spitfire Mk.Vb AB264 GN-H flown by Pilot Officer R.W. "Buck" McNair D.F.C. RCAF, No. 249 Squadron RAF, Ta' Qali, Malta, March 1942.

49921471673_44fe070fa3_b.jpg

Spitfire VIII A58-300 DL-R - ICM 1/48

Spitfire Mk.VIII A58-300/DL-R, No. 54 Squadron RAAF, Darwin, Australia, 1944

49889816516_06e8a877a3_b.jpg

Spitfire IX ML135 YO-D - Eduard 1/48

Spitfire Mk.IX ML135/YO-D flown by Flying Officer J. Billing, No. 401 Squadron RCAF, B4 Beny-sur-Mer, France, June 1944.

49885888726_a04ce103a0_b.jpg

Spitfire XIV MV264 EB-Q - Airfix 1/48 (Second Attempt!)

Spitfire Mk.XIV MV264/EB-Q flown by Flying Officer E. Gray, No. 41 Squadron RAF, B118 Celle, Germany, April/May 1945.

49657350038_6cd985451a_b.jpg

1/48 Airfix Seafire XVII - RNAS Yeovilton 1950

Seafire XVIII, SX156, of 767 NAS,Deck Landing Control Officer Training Unit, RNAS Yeovilton, 1950.

48967030027_053fe85180_b.jpg

Spitfire XIX PS852 - Airfix 1/48

Spitfire Mk.XIX PS852, No. 81 Squadron RAF, Kai Tak, Hong Kong, January 1951.

49890072352_cb2597efbb_b.jpg

That's them all! I must get a photo of the collection together when the weather is ideal for photography :)

Cheers,

Ben

• Like 45
  • Thanks 1

Very nice.

I had my own 'Spitfire summer' a few years ago and they are the gift that keeps on giving in that even when you think you have built them all there is another scheme or variant you previously missed!

I like how you have captured the variations in theatre camouflage & markings.  The mk 1 to the mk XIVe shows how the Griffon engine Spitfire was such a wildly different beast!

Look forward to seeing the rest! 

That's a great start.

Welcome to the virus. I'm knocking on the door of 80 plus. I wish I could find a cure for it. Self isolating makes it even worse. I'm just finishing 2 more. :yahoo:

Dick

• Like 1

Lovely collection fella, great work.  I can imagine that look your girlfriend gave you, my Missus probably have me the same look too!!! Still, she has relented and I ,since doing the loft conversion, now have a mancave and all my models are out on display together for the first time. I now need a bigger Mancave !!!

Great work you can never have too many Spitfires.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

These are lovely, really beautiful models. I never tire of seeing Spitfires. Especially relevant in this the 80th anniversary of Churchill's Few. 

Thanks for all the generous comments everyone :D

I really enjoyed building these and I've somewhat rediscovered my love of modelling, having only built on average a couple a year for the past few years.

3 hours ago, Jeff G said:

Great idea, what has been your favourite brand/kit to build? 

Oooh, good question.

My favourite build was the Airfix Mk XIV, I wasn't happy with my first build but I was delighted this second attempt, it's my favourite mark of Spitfire and I had been waiting ages for a decent kit! I really do like the newer Airfix kits, I find they are simple to build, with a good level of detail and I think they look great :)

The stand out build was the Tamiya Mk I, I cut the parts off the sprues and it was practically press-fit from there on. I used one very small smudge of filler, that was all. Great kit, highly recommended! I've also bought a Tamiya 1/48 Mosquito and Beaufighter based on how much I enjoyed this kit!

I really enjoyed the Eduard kit too, beautifully detailed, possibly a little over-engineered.

I will, however, stay away from ICM!