1/72 Italeri Short Stirling I 7 Squadron RAF

In 2017 I started one of these for a Group Build.  It went disastrously wrong, glued the wings on and the whole lot dried out of kilter, looked odd and I lost heart and binned it.

I bought another and vowed to return as it was going well and I enjoed it up to that point.  I also hate not completing things.

So here is the results of stab 2.

The game changer was the very good LMG jig I purchased for this project which will come in useful on many other builds, but it does show the wisdom of the 'wing spar' attachment used by Airfix and others now rather than the old slot & tab of old.

Enjoy.

resized_d9a6449b-3fcc-451c-ac70-1ffdf905

resized_93bc6a59-0382-4f46-bdf1-e97fb0af

resized_64eba810-ef9c-40ef-a010-cf6d3092

resized_010e5788-2511-4214-b8dc-6d1021ea

resized_3b1c4600-1860-4bb6-8ff9-aaa6da09

resized_f5d258d1-5f9a-4a1a-ab48-8459dc64

Exhaust collector rings were painted using Humbrol Metalcote steel, then painting a thin coat of Tamiya Bronze over the top and wiping it off when still wet which gave it a sort of goldish look which is about right.

Exhaust staining was done with black eyeshadow and then white eye shadow brushed over the top, which I've been using for a while and I think gives a very subtle effect.

• Like 50
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Looks great 👍 

No mid upper turret?? 

Cheers Greg

According to the Italeri instructions this one didn't, confirmed by my Warpaint book on the subject and some period info I have in my Grandfather's stuff from his time in Bomber Command.

I was pleased because I hate masking turrets! 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, jhutchi said:

Looks grey. 

Black brown & green to my eyes!

I think you meant great, in which case, thank you! 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A wonderful build. I like the fact you made the exhaust stains from the engines somewhat subtle. Very believable.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, At Sea said:

According to the Italeri instructions this one didn't, confirmed by my Warpaint book on the subject and some period info I have in my Grandfather's stuff from his time in Bomber Command.

I was pleased because I hate masking turrets! 

Yes, the very early production Stirlings were fitted with twin Browning beam guns rather than a turret. Presumably Italeri don't provide these, as there should be an extra window each side?

Great job on yours. I've always been put off this kit owing to the heavy panel lines, but you've really got the best from it.

Edited by IanC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IanC said:

Yes, the very early production Stirlings were fitted with twin Browning beam guns rather than a turret. Presumably Italeri don't provide these, as there should be an extra window each side?

Great job on yours. I've always been put off this kit owing to the heavy panel lines, but you've really got the best from it.

Ahhh, wasn't aware of that, oh well.  

Regarding the panel lines they aren't as horrendous as folklore would have it, I gave mine 2 coats of Halfords grey primer to dull them down which seems to have worked.  No worse than an Airfix kit in that regard.

Thanks for your kind comments.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keith in the uk said:

Lovely job :yes: Now I suppose you have used up all your eye shadow on the weathering you wont have any left for your eyes ? :yikes:

Boots cheapie stuff.  I was shopping with Mrs. At Sea and was stood ate makeup counter and thought I wonder...

Cheaper than Tamiya Weathering powers and surprisingly easy to work with.

I have a tray of blues and silvers which work for jet pipes too!

First time I got to see the new(not new now) Sterling up close and finished. Very nice job on this one. I can see there's no comparisn to the Airfix kit. on the real ones, are the rivets panhead? I'll have to remember the eyeshadow idea, the stuff does have a shelf life and cosmetics are probably one of the most wasteful industries around. Do I want to build my old Sterling now?

• Thanks 1

That is one very nice Stirling, and it looks like the two primer coats have gone a long way in making the panel lines much less prominent...that's a LOT of primer, though! 👍

Mike

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, At Sea said:

Exhaust staining was done with black eyeshadow and then white eye shadow brushed over the top, which I've been using for a while

😂

regards, adey

1 hour ago, adey m said:

😂

regards, adey

Oh yes, that does sound rather...

Obviously I mean I have been using this technique to do exhaust staining, but if it was the other I'm sure we are an inclusive community. 😉

• Haha 1

This is a marvellous build.

Presently. I have one of these half-completed on the desk.

I was going to post it when finished but your superb paintwork and weathering has scared me off.

Did you have issues with undercarriage assembly or was I holding the instructions the wrong way 'round or something? I ended up with a splayed undercarriage, only partly ameliorated by flattening the wings at their attachment points.

That jig looks a smart idea.

Again, excellent work,

Michael

You've done a fantastic job there.

Must admit, I never heard of using eye shadow for exhaust stains - the great results speaks for themselves!

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1