Hurricane MkIIc Trop "Oops" - Arma Hobby

Hello! I've at last joined the Arma Hobby Hurricane gang, and enjoyed making this so much I've already ordered another kit to make their MkI!

I decided to go for Stewart "Bomb" Finney's steed "Oops", he seems to have been quite an entertaining character and there are some cracking interviews with him on Youtube. I particularly enjoyed the anecdote about the wickerwork airfield... So the SAAF flying MkI Hurricanes eagerly awaited delivery of their MkIIc planes with four Hispano cannon installed, and must have thought it was a right swiz when they arrived with the outer two cannon missing! There's a photo of Oops with the tail all shot to ribbons, but being a Hurricane was repaired, probably with some canvas and dope, and flew again.

The model is hairy sticked as usual with Humbrol enamels, then Gloss Cote before and after decals, weathered with watercolours then sealed with Matt Cote. I'm particularly pleased with the weathering on this, except for how it's highlighted the edges of the decal film, as you can probably see on the underside. I'm wondering if I used Humbrol Clear instead maybe this wouldn't happen, but then wouldn't the final coat of Matt Clear, being water based, lift the watercolours and ruin my weathering? I've always thought that water based weathering should go between solvent based varnishes, and vice versa - or could I paint a final layer of Matt Cote onto a model that has been sealed with Clear? If anyone has any experience and can advise I'd be very grateful, and as alway any useful feedback gladly accepted.

oJ_Q47OiUXBGl_6njLBlh4Jz0qQEtqJ-nD43pz2f

YZlRhbOy7EQhuf4N6I01a8kSjLKumk5h8ZQycUnm

3v-xK4gSReoR03axnICp1PHnBEbjSjQLZ912pUdu

9mrSTi6bdbD1kPRUcbupi-Qpu7ivP5PG_j_Y0Oc8

hLYCtaeHktDTJ8JUDU7oZLLSFs5MJqHsJBpxbPb_

TOYh4bVwo89R16_KEvTc5NqI7pEjXbRKsEs_aYXU

QNeIPQn6lkmyM5WVtTCEiEnRoxjzf01_VIfCE0p-

8OMcWdV5ELMcw0ya2q2GWbZwoLwBsJ62gSMleIOC

• Like 20

Great Hurricane 👍

Love the weathering and scheme. 

Sorry I can't help with your  query as I use all acrylics when painting. However I have had no problems with the final matt coat removing water based washes etc. I would suggest you try some experiments on an old model and see how you get on.

Cheers Greg 😁

Nice to see the next Arma Hurricane, I think we can nearly equip a whole Britmodeller-Squadron now.😁

Nice paint scheme and I also like the weathering. The upper side looks a bit glossy, but maybe it´s only the pictures.

To help you with your question: I never got any problems by useing different layers based on the same medium if you allow them to dry sufficient and spray thin layers.

Best is to test it on an old modell, so you can be sure your way works.

• Like 2

Another great Arma build, well done ! I believe that the two outer canons were removed to improve their performance

in the air defence role.

Wulfman

8 minutes ago, Bangor Lad said:

Great work. Arma have really pulled off a great piece of work with their Hurricanes.

Thanks! They really have, haven't they? Question is, will they make a version with the "B" wing? It would fill a bit of a gap in my collection as I have a MkI rag wing, a MkII steel wing to build, and this... Obviously I also need to make another IIc with the full complement of cannon... Oh dear this is

2 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

Another great Arma build, well done ! I believe that the two outer canons were removed to improve their performance

in the air defence role.

Thankyou!  How did this improve performance? Speed and rate of climb?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Aces High said:

Thanks! They really have, haven't they? Question is, will they make a version with the "B" wing? It would fill a bit of a gap in my collection as I have a MkI rag wing, a MkII steel wing to build, and this... Obviously I also need to make another IIc with the full complement of cannon... Oh dear this is

Thankyou!  How did this improve performance? Speed and rate of climb?

Hi Ace

I must admit I am making an assumption based on the fact that 94 Squadron removed two cannons to improve performance by reducing weight. So I assume that the South Africans did the same. I expect I will be shot down in flames !

Wulfman.

Edited by Wulfman
Adj

Like you stated early in this posting that you have joined the Arma Hobby Hurricane gang.  Like many of the other Arma `Canes, I really enjoy this desert colored one.  I, like yourself, need to join this “gang” as well especially given the outstanding reviews of the kit.  Your`s is an inspiration and very well executed!!!!!!! :goodjob:

Congratulations!!!!!

Mike

9 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Hi Ace

I must admit I am making an assumption based on the fact that 94 Squadron removed two cannons to improve performance by reducing weight. So I assume that the South Africans did the same. I expect I will be shot down in flames !

Wulfman.

I gathered that they were delivered like that, but may be wrong. I've not gone doing too much of my own research, that's a lot on the Arma website, and I mainly enjoyed the interviews with Stewart Finney.

9 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Like you stated early in this posting that you have joined the Arma Hobby Hurricane gang.  Like many of the other Arma `Canes, I really enjoy this desert colored one.  I, like yourself, need to join this “gang” as well especially given the outstanding reviews of the kit.  Your`s is an inspiration and very well executed!!!!!!! :goodjob:

Congratulations!!!!!

Mike

I'm now going to be an evangelical Arma Hurricane fan like the ones who converted me... Get one. Just seriously. They are fantastic!

The removal of two cannon certainly saved a lot of weight, but perhaps the main problem was that with so much weight outboard the aircraft was more sluggish in manoeuvre and generally less agile.  Two cannon were pretty effective in the air combat role anyway, against the vast majority of aircraft the RAF ended up faced with.  As an ex-engineer, I believe this is something called inertia coupling, where having heavy weights outside the main manoeuvre axis causes problems - like trying to dance whilst simultaneously swinging dumbbells at arms length, perhaps.  This wasn't understood at the time, and led to the loss of at least two He162s (think of that big heavy engine above the flight axis) and also the F-100 prototype - not quite so obvious there but it did.

The recce units sometimes fitted a forward looking camera where one of the missing cannons would be, and this is sometimes credited with being the reason for the removal, but I doubt it.  For the same basic reason of weight and sluggishness the four outer guns were often removed from the Hurricane Mk.IIB

• Like 2

Nice work on that lovely kit and how good is it to see some Seth Efrican markings on a plane . Mind you, I'm surprised she is still on her undercart after landing on that landing ground!

These ARMA kits are gems aren't they?

• Like 1