RNZAF Corsair Volume 4 - The journey ends?

3 hours ago, SleeperService said:

...I can see more Corsairs in my future (so much for stash reduction).

Any excuse is a good one ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Dana Bell said:

Hi Alan,

My list could be wrong - nearly all my Kiwi assignments came from Warren Russell's book, which I'd heard was rather authoritative.  The one note that might explain the confusion complained that several Corsairs being sent to New Zealand had been snarffed up by US Navy and Marine units that felt they were somehow in greater need; the thefts were to be replaced by later aircraft.  Anyway, here's what my lists show:

Vought #2870    BuNo50405    Kiwi serial NZ5397    US Designation F4U-1D    
Vought #3103    BuNo50638    Kiwi serial NZ5399    US Designation F4U-1D 

I'd appreciate any help you can offer updating my lists - I'm sure there are other errors buried in there somewhere!

Cheers,

Dana

Hi Dana,

Nice to be able to help you with information for a Change :D

The Warren Russell Books are good (forgotten how many times I've read through them),

there are some instances I've found personally facts are inaccurate/wrong, but that's a story

for another day.

I checked with those more in the know than me (i.e Expert from RNZAF Museum among others) and they were

in agreement with your comments re the change in situation may have necessitated Aircraft being sent elsewhere,

orders changes etc.

For instance, traditionally RNZAF F4U-1's carried the RNZAF Serials NZ52** - NZ53**, however

due to shipping issues etc there are some F4U-1's that carry the prefix NZ54** and NZ55**, arriving later

than some F4U-1D's

Regarding the two RNZAF Corsairs listed in your query above, further digging shows the following:

Vought #2870    BuNo50405    Kiwi serial NZ5397    US Designation F4U-1D 

Vought #3103    BuNo50638    Kiwi serial NZ5399    US Designation F4U-1D

There were three (3) F4U-1D's that arrived between June 24 and July 19 1944 on two ships

JH Tuttle and USS Kwajalein. They received the last three Serials in the NZ53 series, being NZ5397-NZ5399

(from ADF serials)

NZ5397 is listed as BuNo 50455 - I cannot find BuNo 50405 amongst any RNZAF Corsairs.

Possible, typo/mistype in Russell's book? Interestingly Joe Baugher's site lists BuNo 50455 as NZ5442, while ADF site

lists NZ5442 as BuNo50450.

NZ5399 is as you have listed above in your post

I hope that is of help to you

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

Hi Peeps

There is activity in SleeperCentral and I mean of a modelmaking type even a Corsair!!! 😮 The crowd goes wild.

I decided to show my commitment to our antopodean friends by attacking the tail wheel assembly, once that hook was off I felt a lot better, Removed the kit tail-wheel and opened up some of the lightening holes The step on the flap has gone and so has the belly window. Seeing it magnified in the picture shows me I missed a bit of scribing which I've just dealt with and a couple of rough bits I'll see to later. I added the inner wing pylons at this stage as it was easier to check alignment (I hope).

spacer.png

Then to the outer wings: As I mentioned above that inner detail varied from trench to faintest hint so I spent a happy evening making it all look equally awful. Tamiya have the ID and recognition lights as a car headlight but they were flush so I drilled them out to replace with charcons when I find the bag. Note the issue on the centre one, always a cold flow where it's most unwanted. I've toned down the upper wing fabric a touch the underside will get the same. 

spacer.png

I've ordered a set of Resikit land Corsair wheels but may need to get some diamond tread ones to match the reference photos, Tamiya provide slicks with a weird central ridge.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Trust me the radial tread ones aren't going to be wasted. That would be silly.

Ye Gods that looks pathetic progress although I was distracted by the SpaceX Demo 2 coverage and some Youtube Corsair footage..... I'd better face that engine next. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Ye Gods that looks pathetic progress although I was distracted by the SpaceX Demo 2 coverage and some Youtube Corsair footage..... I'd better face that engine next. 

Yeah we watched the SpaceX launch but sadly we couldn't get past laughing every time they mentioned the Astronauts Bob & Doug. Im guessing the person (lady commentator) speaking had never heard of or put 2 & 2 together. However we kept seeing Bob and Doug McKenzie sitting in the capsule in our minds-eye. 

https://youtu.be/EXgDQz6bmiI

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

However we kept seeing Bob and Doug McKenzie sitting in the capsule in our minds-eye. 

Never saw the TV series but have got 'Strange Brew' somewhere.

Got to say that they looked the part though, I'd feel pretty comfortable with them in the driving seat.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Small update: model bench has been quiet these last few days due to hayfever :rant: usually it's mild and short but not this year.....

I didn't check my Eduard delivery until just now and I've managed to order an F4F set rather than the Corsair one because I'm an idiot. Correct part ordered and instructions downloaded so I can prep the cockpit parts, detail the engine (a bit) and get some other bits fettled. To carry on the theme Vol 2 of Dana Bell's Corsair book has arrived but not Vol 1 which is the one I need for this.

I'm adding a big packet of determination to the shopping list, at least the road humps have arrived early this time and I WILL beat the evil forces for this build. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 6:36 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Keep the spirit sir ... We have plenty of time yet. 

Thankfully we do :D

I have just received an e-mail advising that my Corsair etch and a few other bits are on their way. I've put the Mayor and brass band on standby to welcome this important arrival.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2