RNZAF Corsair Volume 4 - The journey ends?

Greetings People from locked-down Long Eaton.

The advantage of being a serial non-finisher is being able to reuse images so.....

spacer.png

Originally posed for THIS THREAD (with links to the other attempts ;)  ) medical issues and resulting dismissal meant it never even got started. However while strictly following social distancing guidelines - Pleb Version the Temple priest proclaimed that the chicken entrails indicated conditional success. To this end I have ensured that I have paints, other bits, the kits, and a clear workbench which the Gods demanded. For an extra commitment of only working on one project until it's complete and a suitable token of my appreciation - the Temple gets the chicken and a selection of veggies, oh and cake - success is almost certain.

The big question is this; If it doesn't work out then am I a more powerful God than Offler????

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome aboard Sleeper...with a nice selection of Corsair Goodness. 

Thank You Dennis :D

I'm trying to decide whether to attempt both but haven't found anything to tempt me yet. However I have the paints now so that's good,

• Like 1

L.E. is actually quite pleasant with the lock down very little traffic caused by people who want to live in the country but earn big city money not being at work.

I was considering doing the other as a grey/white -4 but apparently the CMK conversion is a little irksome. Life is too short for that. So I'm trying to decide what to do with the kit I have.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SleeperService said:

L.E. is actually quite pleasant with the lock down very little traffic caused by people who want to live in the country but earn big city money not being at work.

I was considering doing the other as a grey/white -4 but apparently the CMK conversion is a little irksome. Life is too short for that. So I'm trying to decide what to do with the kit I have.  

Which kit, Maybe I can help find a decent scheme for it ? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Which kit, Maybe I can help find a decent scheme for it ? 

My subject turns out to be a -D according to @LDSModeller way, way back so the -A needs a new scheme. Any help with something a bit different would be welcomed. I assume you know more about Corsairs than I could ever hope to!

1 hour ago, SleeperService said:

My subject turns out to be a -D according to @LDSModeller way, way back so the -A needs a new scheme. Any help with something a bit different would be welcomed. I assume you know more about Corsairs than I could ever hope to!

Any specific nationality ? If not theres always the el Salvadoran and Honduran Soccer war there were some FG-1’s that were camouflaged in a real non standard leafy pattern in service. F.A.A. is another option. There is of course the Bare metal 1a used by the marines in the Solomon's. icjuS1Y.jpg
Some descriptions claim its a 1D but it was made up of parts from several wrecks and used as a hack. Then there is this overall GSB 1a ⬇️ used at a stateside training base towards the end of the war. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:F4U-1A_Corsair_of_VBF-4_at_NAS_Wildwood_1945.jpg

If all else fails you can go with a real funky weather beaten marine bird from the pacific. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SleeperService said:

You could always do this Post War RNZAF F4U-1D Corsair NZ5531

NZ5531

Just bear in mind  Modellers and "Authoritative Authors":fool:

always show this Airframe with Fictitious Roundels never

seen on RNZAF Aircraft. Should be A type/C type

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LDSModeller said:

You could always do this Post War RNZAF F4U-1D Corsair NZ5531

NZ5531

Just bear in mind  Modellers and "Authoritative Authors":fool:

always show this Airframe with Fictitious Roundels never

seen on RNZAF Aircraft. Should be A type/C type

Regards

Alan

Get thee behind me Satan:devil: :D

I'm tempted but that's well beyond my current skill level. I agree about the "Authoritative Authors" comment. Believe me AFV modelling is just as bad, at least with aircraft it takes me so long to build that by the time I'm ready to paint the "discussions" have normally run their course.

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Let me know I have some good decals for pacific based USMC corsairs and F.A.A. As well. 

-1A used by the FAA?? Please tell me more. The linked image is very interesting the fabric area on the outer wings needs toning down on the kit. In my -1A and -1D kits the wing sprue is identical but I've seen reference to a triangular bump on the -1D to counter the wing drop.

EDIT: -1A in FAA was the Corsair II? That sounds like a plan. Any decal recommendations?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SleeperService said:

...-1A in FAA was the Corsair II? That sounds like a plan.

That's a plan I can get behind :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SleeperService said:

1A used by the FAA?? Please tell me more. The linked image is very interesting the fabric area on the outer wings needs toning down on the kit. In my -1A and -1D kits the wing sprue is identical but I've seen reference to a triangular bump on the -1D to counter the wing drop.

EDIT: -1A in FAA was the Corsair II? That sounds like a plan. Any decal recommendations?

If you check out my F.A.A. Build thread.
https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235074021-faa-corsair-mkii/

or this thread.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235069295-royal-navy-corsair-with-added-new-questions/

There has been some good info already discussed in there. As for decals there are a number of sets out there.

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/ecl48163.htm

Aeromaster decal set 48-401, you can find more info online. ObuVJHH.jpg

I have an aeromaster set in my files, I could send you one of the aircraft. The T.S.S. Corsairs are the 1A’s. However aeromaster has a reputatation, so its up to you if you want them. 

Dennis

• Like 1

I've been going through the threads you've linked to (and some more as a result) and Thank You sincerely for the help. I'm coming round to T.S.S FAA aircraft but, as you suggest, there are questions about Aeromaster. I have a knowledgeable friend who is ex-FAA and he knows somebody who can advise further. Hopefully soon.

In other news I've found that my -1D wings have the fuel filler caps that weren't there and even for the -1A they're too far outboard. So I've applied filler but won't rub it down lest I break the 25% ruling :rofl:

Having found the lovely white/light grey F4U-4 scheme I'm still surprised that Aires et.al do cockpit and wheel well upgrades but ignore the nose which leaps out at even me, whose knowledge of these things is barely detectable. We live in a weird world.

• Like 2

You need @Dana Bell to confirm it but I think FAA Corsair MkI, II, III & IV is more related to the manufacturer.

MkIIs I think we’re built by Vought, MkIII’s by Brewster and MkIVs Goodyear.  Was KD780 a Goodyear built MkIV?

Need to go to the Cave for my References...

• Thanks 1

Yes, KD780 is a MkIV: Henry Adlam's in fact.

Vought, F4U-1, Corsair MkI

Vought, F4U-1A, Corsair MkII (apparently the 'A' was an unofficial marque at the time and fell in to use later).

Vought, F4U-1D, Corsair MkII

Brewster, F3A-1, Corsair MkIII

Goodyear, FG-1A, Corsair MkIV

Goodyear, FG-1D, Corsair MkIV

Major difference between a 1A and a 1D either Vought or Goodyear is the plumbing. 1A has wing fuel tanks and fuel filler cap on the wings. Can carry the single underbelly fuel tank. 

1D has no wing tanks but can carry the dual fuel tanks under the fuselage or dual bombs or one or the other etc. 

The FAA museums KD431 is a Goodyear, FG-1A, Corsair MkIV. She has wing tanks and no plumbing for dual underbelly tanks.

Hope that helps!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, 85sqn said:

Yes, KD780 is a MkIV: Henry Adlam's in fact.

Any relation?

While looking through Dennis's build thread linked above I was led HERE which shows a centreline tank AND a wing root mounted bomb. Could my NZ subject with the three tanks have been able to use them all? I need to find my sleuthing hat....

spacer.png

To make this

spacer.png

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

Any relation?

While looking through Dennis's build thread linked above I was led HERE which shows a centreline tank AND a wing root mounted bomb. Could my NZ subject with the three tanks have been able to use them all? I need to find my sleuthing hat....

spacer.png

Hi Sleeper,

The Corsair IIs in your image are in the JT531--JT634 range - they were the only FAA -1Ds with plumbing for the CL tanks.

The USN wasn't certain the new pylons would work, so early -1Ds were delivered with outer wing "tanks," a fully plumbed CL tank, and plumbing for the right pylon only.  The left pylon plumbing was later retrofitted, the wing tanks were deleted, and plumbing for the CL position was dropped.  (A bomb, however, could still be fitted on the CL rack.)

The following Kiwi Corsairs were delivered with plumbing for the centerline tank, plumbing for the right-hand pylon, and outer wing leading edge tanks.  The left-hand pylons should have been subsequently retrofitted with plumbing for fuel tanks.  The serials are presented in order of Vought production number.
NZ5460, NZ5466, NZ5397, NZ5468, NZ5467, NZ5537, NZ5538, NZ5539, NZ5540, NZ5551, NZ5541, NZ5464, NZ5448, NZ5439, NZ5552, NZ5542, NZ5543, NZ5443, NZ5442, NZ5553, NZ5451, NZ5544, NZ5545, NZ5546, NZ5547, NZ5447, NZ5440, NZ5548, NZ5555, NZ5549, NZ5556, NZ5550, NZ5557, NZ5483, NZ5408, NZ5558, NZ5559, NZ5560, NZ5561, NZ5429, NZ5410, NZ5562, NZ5419, NZ5563, NZ5409, NZ5405, NZ5564, NZ5402, NZ5565, NZ5566, NZ5567, NZ5568, NZ5569

The following Kiwi Corsairs left the factory as above, but with the outer panel fuel tanks deleted.
NZ5570, NZ5571, NZ5572, NZ5573, NZ5574, NZ5575,NZ5399   

The following Kiwi Corsairs left the factory as above, but with factory-installed plumbing for the left-hand pylon.
NZ5576, NZ5449, NZ5450, NZ5400, NZ5434,NZ5431, NZ5433,NZ5411, NZ5406

Subsequent Kiwi Corsairs were delivered with the centerline plumbing deleted at the factory.

Cheers,

Dana

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Could my NZ subject with the three tanks have been able to use them all? I need to find my sleuthing hat....

To be honest the only time a RNZAF Corsair would have three tanks fitted, was if they were ferrying somewhere

If completing a Ground attack run, 1A's would carry ordnance centreline

1D's would carry either a centre line tank and two pieces of ordnance depending on how far the flight distance was

Couple of YouTube films of RNZAF Corsairs being bombed up or  taking off on missions sans fuel tanks

Bombing up F4U-1D Corsair Bouganville

RNZAF Corsair takeoff Torokina

1 hour ago, Dana Bell said:

The following Kiwi Corsairs were delivered with plumbing for the centerline tank, plumbing for the right-hand pylon, and outer wing leading edge tanks.  The left-hand pylons should have been subsequently retrofitted with plumbing for fuel tanks.  The serials are presented in order of Vought production number.
NZ5460, NZ5466, NZ5397, NZ5468, NZ5467, NZ5537, NZ5538, NZ5539, NZ5540, NZ5551, NZ5541, NZ5464, NZ5448, NZ5439, NZ5552, NZ5542, NZ5543, NZ5443, NZ5442, NZ5553, NZ5451, NZ5544, NZ5545, NZ5546, NZ5547, NZ5447, NZ5440, NZ5548, NZ5555, NZ5549, NZ5556, NZ5550, NZ5557, NZ5483, NZ5408, NZ5558, NZ5559, NZ5560, NZ5561, NZ5429, NZ5410, NZ5562, NZ5419, NZ5563, NZ5409, NZ5405, NZ5564, NZ5402, NZ5565, NZ5566, NZ5567, NZ5568, NZ5569

The following Kiwi Corsairs left the factory as above, but with the outer panel fuel tanks deleted.
NZ5570, NZ5571, NZ5572, NZ5573, NZ5574, NZ5575,NZ5399   

The following Kiwi Corsairs left the factory as above, but with factory-installed plumbing for the left-hand pylon.
NZ5576, NZ5449, NZ5450, NZ5400, NZ5434,NZ5431, NZ5433,NZ5411, NZ5406

Interestingly NZ5397 and NZ5399 were listed a 1A's

All 1D's were Serialed  NZ54** or NZ55**

FG-1D's were NZ56**

An RNZAF Corsair with Left fitted Tank

RNZAF Corsair with Left hardpoint tank

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 3

Not sure, certainly not in my immediate family. More digging required.

4 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Any relation?

To make this

9 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

To be honest the only time a RNZAF Corsair would have three tanks fitted, was if they were ferrying somewhere

If completing a Ground attack run, 1A's would carry ordnance centreline

1D's would carry either a centre line tank and two pieces of ordnance depending on how far the flight distance was

Couple of YouTube films of RNZAF Corsairs being bombed up or  taking off on missions sans fuel tanks

Bombing up F4U-1D Corsair Bouganville

RNZAF Corsair takeoff Torokina

Interestingly NZ5397 and NZ5399 were listed a 1A's

All 1D's were Serialed  NZ54** or NZ55**

FG-1D's were NZ56**

An RNZAF Corsair with Left fitted Tank

RNZAF Corsair with Left hardpoint tank

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

My list could be wrong - nearly all my Kiwi assignments came from Warren Russell's book, which I'd heard was rather authoritative.  The one note that might explain the confusion complained that several Corsairs being sent to New Zealand had been snarffed up by US Navy and Marine units that felt they were somehow in greater need; the thefts were to be replaced by later aircraft.  Anyway, here's what my lists show:

Vought #2870    BuNo50405    Kiwi serial NZ5397    US Designation F4U-1D    
Vought #3103    BuNo50638    Kiwi serial NZ5399    US Designation F4U-1D 

I'd appreciate any help you can offer updating my lists - I'm sure there are other errors buried in there somewhere!

Cheers,

Dana

• Thanks 1

You people are absolute Stars. :partytime:

@Dana Bell I've just ordered your two books as I can see more Corsairs in my future (so much for stash reduction).

Slight change of plan is to do NZ5410 as I have found no decal sheet in 48th for either of them (yet!) and I'm not up to generating my own decals yet (probably never will be) and 10 appears relatively plain.

Made a small start gluing in the belly window with some filler to smooth it in, also filled the step in the starboard inner flap. After looking very carefully at several photos I've toned down the wing fabric effect slightly. I have also discovered that the recessed detail on the wings is rather variable varying from quite prominent to barely there especially with the panel fasteners. So next job is to make a template out of clear plastic to even it up.

This is going to end up as an excellent anorak baiter; wing tanks, three fuel tanks, no arrestor hook, smart markings on weathered airframe, I'll settle for that, however if I can find one in four tone paint as well I may be very tempted :devil::rofl:   Photo to follow as soon as I can face the shops to get batteries.  

EDIT: Bit longer delay as I forgot SpaceX's Demo-2 launch attempt today. Godspeed to Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley.

ANOTHER EDIT: Elsewhere @Dana Bell mentions that the first 300 F4U-1D aircraft had the four tone finish. Going by THIS PAGE  both NZ5410 and NZ5440 were in the first 300 built BuNo 50360 - 50659. My happiness has just shot up another 20 points :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 1