1/96 Korean Checkerboarder ++FINISHED++

CliffB

Good morning all - here's my entry for the GB.

P1110389.JPG

It's the last kit for me to build from this 'Fighters Four' boxing and was originally released in 1957.

It's classic Lindberg from the period, with raised panel lines and a pilot figure fused into the fuselage.

P1110479.JPG

Unlike the other three fighters in the box, the Corsair does at least have a nicely moulded canopy and some decals that are based on fact, rather than on fiction (not that you can see them in my photo!).

The decals relate to White 12 from VMF-312.  Although not shown in box-top photo, the decals do include suitable '12's.  There are no MARINES decals for the fuselage, but from what I can see this is OK on some aircraft.

Please don't ask me which variant the kit is supposed to represent.  Clearly it has cannons and RPs if that helps with identification.  I've seen plenty of photos of MG equipped VMF-312 Corsairs too though and I do prefer their look.  The cannons look pretty clumsy to me - both on the kit and on the real aircraft ;).  I may lose mine …..

Cheers

• Like 6

Hello Cliff, 

They’re supposed to be late -4’s with 6 x .50’s in the wings. 

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:F4U-4_Corsairs_of_VMF-312_on_USS_Bataan_(CVL-29)_in_the_spring_of_1952.jpg#mw-jump-to-license

3rd and 5th plane ⬇️ have nothing on the lower wing so you should be ok with that as well. 

http://www.justinmuseum.com/jkjustin/osmith35.html

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

Good to see you finalising the foursome at last Cliff. A basic kit but sure you'll have fun with this one as you did with the others :) 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I suppose if I'm actually going to build this kit in the GB, then it would be helpful if I made a start.

I've decided to remove most of the raised panel lines and only keep those which are associated with bits that move.   I won't be re-scribing any ('cos I'm too lazy :winkgrin:).

Here's where I am so far, with a photo showing 'before and after' for the main parts.  You'll notice that I've also removed the cannons.

P1110569.JPG

Things should move pretty quickly now :).

• Like 3

Thanks both :).

So seven pieces on (plus lots of sanding), and I now have something Corsair shaped. 

Those who like to see fully detailed cockpit interiors and wheel wells (or indeed any type of cockpit interior or wheel well), should probably look away now.

P1110582.JPG

P1110583.JPG

To be fair, the kit's required very little filler, apart from on the undersides of the wings. 

These are moulded in one piece and so are quite thick.  As a result there's been some significant shrinkage on my example.

The canopy is not too bad - it's slightly too small, but looks OK at 1:1.   However, it has a very noticeable clear plastic pimple on its inside surface (just behind the pilot).  In real life it looks like a big speck of trapped dust and so I'll have to get rid of it somehow...

P1110584.JPG

It won't be long 'til I get some primer on.  I'm particularly looking forward to this, as the sanded blue plastic looks a real mess at the moment :winkgrin:

Cheers

• Like 2

On 8/18/2020 at 2:54 PM, modelling minion said:

Well that took shape very quickly Cliff.

Thats quite a lot of filler under the wings, looks like you got it sorted though mate.

Thanks Craig.

It's still moving forward and on course for the weekend.

P1110604.JPG

Cheers

• Like 2

One final update before completion.

P1110614.JPG

Painted using Xtracrylix and the decals went on easily,  Unusually, the decals were made in Mexico.

Just a clear coat, some detailed painting and final assembly required :)

Cheers

• Like 1

All finished now - just in time.  It's very much a preserved Warbird look, rather than a battle-worn veteran!

P1110615.JPG

I'll post some more pics in the Gallery shortly, but in the meantime thanks to all who have supported this build, especially our three gallant hosts :cheers:

Cheers

• Like 4