Corsair Mk.II JT228/6A 1833 RNAS Machrihanish 1943

I agree with Dennis, John. thank you for taking part in the GB and for giving us such an excellent build to follow.

I'm really glad that you have been able to finish her and I don't think that your weathering looks any the worse for being applied with a brush, in fact I think that it looks really good and very realistic, very much a case of less is more.

Very well done mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ray_W said:

John,

Quite often we all get sucked into a modelling fads like hairspray technique on small scale models. Certainly it has its place and works well where appropriate like a very heavily weathered aircraft and is useful in 1/32 and larger. In 1/48 some of the more traditional methods work well like the humble paint brush. Maybe even better to not over exaggerate the wear and more accurately portray the wear patterns . I suppose the bottom line is it is not a problem to not use chipping mediums.

If I can add some advice, I find a silver artists pencil works brilliantly for wear in 1/48.  Sharp point, dab rather than draw. Easy to remove and redo. Needs a matt/low sheen surface. I'll be using that technique on my Corsair. I will also experiment with the small amount of YZC without chipping techniques - paint and pencil.

Ray

Ray,

Many thanks for the thoughts and advice - greatly appreciated!

I will try the silver pencil technique on the next build, as it sounds like it'll fit in better with my erratic building schedule, and as you say, the scale. I shall be lurking on your build to pick up tips.

John

• Like 1

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I agree with Dennis, John. thank you for taking part in the GB and for giving us such an excellent build to follow.

I'm really glad that you have been able to finish her and I don't think that your weathering looks any the worse for being applied with a brush, in fact I think that it looks really good and very realistic, very much a case of less is more.

Very well done mate.

Thanks, Craig! It's been a great deal of fun, and I have learned (and am still learning) so much. And I finished a model! 😁

Thanks again!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

I will try the silver pencil technique on the next build,

John, I think you will be happy. This is silver pencil. Put on as much as you want. Currently using a Swiss Pablo Caran D'Arche Permanent Colour because that was what the local art shop had. 

Spitfire_A58-84_Final_3A

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

John, I think you will be happy. This is silver pencil. Put on as much as you want. Currently using a Swiss Pablo Caran D'Arche Permanent Colour because that was what the local art shop had. 

Spitfire_A58-84_Final_3A

That's a lovely effect, Ray! And a beautiful model, by the way. I will definitely be giving this a go - thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wimbledon99 said:

This has turned out beautifully. Such a different theme and a pleasure to follow. Kudos!!

Thanks, Nigel! Greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

An excellent Corsair John, I really like the TSS and chipping/weathering - just right.

Thanks, Cookie! It's been an education, which for me is as much fun as the build was.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...