Corsair Mk.II JT228/6A 1833 RNAS Machrihanish 1943

3 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Hi John, Thanks for the video. I might just have to get some and try it!!

Good luck, and wear a mask! Its only downside is that it's very smelly, and potentially bad for you.

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Aren't they just! He has a ready food source, I have a few sticks, clearly my fault!

Clearly! 🤣

• Like 1

This evening I got home from work, and decided to spray a coat of aluminium to act as a chipping base. As it was to be the base layer, I went for Tamiya TS-30, which is a nice, shiny lacquer, and as tough as nails. The approaching thunderstorms meant I had to get a wiggle on, but I managed to get a decent couple of coats on (and on my left hand, which looked pretty cool, actually).

Whilst it was curing, the storm came through and poured down, together with high winds, which also took out our power. For us, no power means no water, as we have a well. It should be back on by the morning.

in the meantime, here’s a spooky candle- and flash-light shot, just because it’s fun. More when we have power.

Metal!

• Like 10

31 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

The Corsair does look good in silver - a spooky silver ghost. Excellent work John, that will make a great base for chipping.

Actually there was one Corsair a -1a in NMF, “Sally”, its on my to do list of Corsair builds. IV8PDiV.jpg

OTIiQwB.jpg

eJmkrho.jpg

dQR41fU.jpg

If anyone was interested its definitely allowed. 

Dennis

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

The Corsair does look good in silver - a spooky silver ghost. Excellent work John, that will make a great base for chipping.

Thanks, Cookie - it should do!

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Actually there was one Corsair a -1a in NMF, “Sally”, its on my to do list of Corsair builds. IV8PDiV.jpg

Dennis

That might now be on my list of to-do aircraft.

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

That is a great looking aluminium undercoat John, will make a great base for the camo colours.

I hope that your power and water come back on soon.

Thanks, Craig! Power came back on at about 02:30 - I know because the sound of the house coming back to life was enough to wake me.

• Like 3

Finally, after some self-induced setbacks, I have the metal undercoat on, a coat of Tamiya XF-4 to represent Yellow Zinc Chromate primer, and the first layer of Sky on the undersides. Sky does not cover well, so I’ll need to make another batch (using Roy Sutherland's Tamiya mix of XF-21:2 + XF-2:3) for the second coat. After this will be the US equivalents of Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey for the top camouflage, then I can chip through to the primer and metal where necessary.

Getting there! Soon, stickers and weathering!

Primer and Sky

Primer and Sky

• Like 4

I really dislike masking, as for some reason, I tense up more than when painting tiny details. Anyway, I masked the underside, sprayed a thin coat of X-22 Clear over the edges, then dived in with XF-24 for the grey, then XF-62 for the green. I am definitely out of practice, and the airbrush had an elusive spray-tip air leak, but I persevered. I need to do a lot of clean up and further coats, and may make some paper masks to help define the colours better, but here it is:

First colour

Green!

TTFN

• Like 5

Hey John.. The colors look quite good to my eyes, and your pattern looks good. Maybe a little tightening up around the edges of the grey to give it more body. Otherwise I cant see anything wrong with this. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

I agree with Cookie, that is some very nice freehand airbrushing.

The colours do look to be a good match too.

Thanks, Craig! I like the colours, too - I just trolled lots of posts seeing what people's opinions were, then tried what paints I had. The grey was a bit scarily dark on its own, but the green brought it into line.

51 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hey John.. The colors look quite good to my eyes, and your pattern looks good. Maybe a little tightening up around the edges of the grey to give it more body. Otherwise I cant see anything wrong with this. 

Thanks, Dennis! Agreed 100% on tightening up the demarcation - currently it looks like about a foot of feathering, and that's just way too much. I believe paper masks held just off the surface will help tremendously.

• Like 2

I broke out the less-expensive airbrush, substituted Tamiya Lacquer Thinner for X-20A, and had a go at sharpening up the green-grey demarcation. It's better to my eye, and with a little extra work, will do the job for me:

Sharper

• Like 7

On 7/8/2020 at 6:35 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

OTIiQwB.jpg

eJmkrho.jpg

dQR41fU.jpg

Dennis

Think I’ve got the decals for that Dennis

love the paint work John, looks very good on my side of the internet!

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1