Corsair Mk.II JT228/6A 1833 RNAS Machrihanish 1943

This is the first time in many years that I've attempted a group build of any type, and although my track record has been abysmal in the past, I am actually really looking forward to getting started on this.

I'll be attempting a Corsair Mk.I of the FAA, JT228, code 6A of 1833 RNAS Macrihanish in 1943. The kit is the Tamiya F4U-1D in 1/48th scale. I'll be using Xtradecals "Yanks with Roundels" set X48102, and going with their recommendation that the aircraft was still in US equivalent FAA colours, so ANA 603 Sea Gray, ANA 613 Olive Drab and ANA 602 Light Gray. Probably Humbrol enamels for those, although I may test the Xtracrylix Olive Drab and see how that looks - either way, it will be brush painted unless I cannot get the effect I'm after with the camo demarcation.

In addition, I have the Ultracast replacement seat with Sutton harness, and replacement exhausts. I'm still undecided about a replacement engine, but have time to make up my mind on that.

The kit is un-started - I have kept it locked away in a cupboard to stop me even thinking about getting stuck in - but I will be studying the instructions between now and Friday to try and make sure I don't commit the usual Laidlaw stupidities. Well, I can dream.

I'll be adding representations of the fuselage-side air intakes and the ventral exhaust, and will be clipping the wings to the "short short" position, as that's what I believe the Xtradecal instructions show. If anybody knows differently, I'd be grateful for the information.

Kit, decals and resin bits:

IMG_4547

Decals/transfers/stickers:

F4U-1D Corsair

Resin bits:

F4U-4 Corsair

Runners:

F4U-4 Corsair

• Like 12

I don’t think you need replace the engine unless you want it all on display.  Add the ignition cables to the engine front then you’re done as that’s all you can see..

This was my first attempt at the Tamiya Kit, I didn’t get a good fit around the wing fold and it needs the flap covers (which keep the flap hinges covered) but if you zoom in on the engine, you’ll see how little is visible..  Remember FAA Corsairs were parked with flaps up.

28683943857_f01120dc20.jpg

Good luck with your build..

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Glad to see another FAA example in the GB and thanks for joining us for this as your first in a while John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

A great choice John.

1833 were my local squadron in the RNVR and based less than 5 miles from my house and about as far as you can get from the sea in England, and I've been to Macrihanish too so two good reasons for following your build.

Good to have you along, MM!

• Thanks 1

A lovely choice of subject. The CO's aircraft. As you are using the F4U-1D kit, remember this aircraft was fitted with the canopy with frames and not the frameless version also in the box. JT228 was a MkII (F4U-1A) and so does not have the twin pylons again in the box. it could carry the single centreline tank. JT228 had fuel tanks in the wings, of which the fuel filler caps are shown as circles near the leading edges. If you fancy moving them they should be slightly inboard of the panel line next to them. 

I'm of the 'sky' side of the fence when it comes to the underside but I am not 100%.

I have done a few with the flaps up:

Happy Modelling

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 85sqn said:

A lovely choice of subject. The CO's aircraft. As you are using the F4U-1D kit, remember this aircraft was fitted with the canopy with frames and not the frameless version also in the box. JT228 was a MkII (F4U-1A) and so does not have the twin pylons again in the box. it could carry the single centreline tank. JT228 had fuel tanks in the wings, of which the fuel filler caps are shown as circles near the leading edges. If you fancy moving them they should be slightly inboard of the panel line next to them. 

I'm of the 'sky' side of the fence when it comes to the underside but I am not 100%.

I have done a few with the flaps up:

Happy Modelling

Hi Nick,

That is really useful information, thank you, and some excellent builds which I'm now going to use as a reference :).

A quick question, if I may? In the group photo, there are a couple (147 and the one next to it) where the green is darker than the grey - are these representations of the ANA equivalent colours, and if they are, could I ask which paints you've used?

Many thanks!

Sure thing.147 is a Corsair MkII from HMS Illustrious, 1833 Sqn. It is painted with the ANA top surfaces (Xtracrylics) and the undersurface is is sky. 

The darker Corsair (6A) is a MkII also from Illustrious and 1833 Sqn and I have taken the liberty of presuming it was repainted in Extra Dark Sea Grey, Dark Slate Grey and sky. I believe that some were touched up/repainted whilst out in the East. Once again, Xtracrylics were used. I think the grey is a little too dark in this case for my liking and could do with lightening up. I sprayed over a black base which may be why.

The MkI in the photo I went for the grey undersides- as I say I'm not 100% yet and I favour sky but it's a different one in the pack.

Here was the link to another:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 85sqn said:

Sure thing.147 is a Corsair MkII from HMS Illustrious, 1833 Sqn. It is painted with the ANA top surfaces (Xtracrylics) and the undersurface is is sky. 

The darker Corsair (6A) is a MkII also from Illustrious and 1833 Sqn and I have taken the liberty of presuming it was repainted in Extra Dark Sea Grey, Dark Slate Grey and sky. I believe that some were touched up/repainted whilst out in the East. Once again, Xtracrylics were used. I think the grey is a little too dark in this case for my liking and could do with lightening up. I sprayed over a black base which may be why.

The MkI in the photo I went for the grey undersides- as I say I'm not 100% yet and I favour sky but it's a different one in the pack.

Here was the link to another:

2 hours ago, 85sqn said:

Just to tempt you to using sky undersides, this is why I favour it: 

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/faa-corsairs-in-color.17962/#lg=post-484764&slide=12

And many thanks for this, as well! I may have the required Xtracrylics lurking in the garage - I'll check. I appreciate the pointer, though, and I'm pretty sure I can approximate using either Tamiya or Humbrol.

That photo is interesting - if the colour was Sky Grey, there'd be no green, and it would be picking up a lot of blue from the sky. Sky is now in the running.

• Like 1

Anything from Macrhihanish is perfect in my book, as its local to me in Argyll and i recently built a Macrhihanish FAA Avenger.

Whats the story on what the Corsairs were doing there ?

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 4:23 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Whats the story on what the Corsairs were doing there ?

That's something I'm not familiar with, Pat... there certainly were a large number of squadrons based there at different times, but I don't know the whys and wherefores. Hopefully a resident expert will pipe up soon.

As it's the 29th, I have started. After a pear-shaped work day, I decided to be unconventional and make a start with the flaps. Next will be assembling what's needed in the cockpit before I can prime, then on to the engine whilst that dries. Anyway, flaps. Right-hand side together, cured, and with the step filled with plasticard, then Tamiya Basic putty to finish. It will be sanded when dry, and goopy bits trimmed and sharpened up. Left-hand side stuck together, but not trimmed and cleaned up.

Flaps

• Like 4

Hi John,

I have to admit your build choice brought some confusion, none of it your fault.  As everyone has noted, JT228 was a Corsair II based on the F4U-1A,  Checking the internet, I found several pix purporting to be JT228/6A -- but the aircraft in the image is a late Birdcage Mark I.  Turns out the Birdcage version of 6A is JT18x (where the x looks like it might be a 5).

JT228 was delivered with the longer US Navy wingtips.  In February 1944 the refit with short wingtips began; short short tips were introduced that April.  If you've got a good photo, you'll know which tip to use.

The Vought blueprint color callouts were for Army Dark Olive Drab duPont 1071-028; Sea Gray duPont 71-19324; and Sky duPont 71-021.  Note that 71-021 was earlier known as Sky Type S Gray - though most color charts show a greenish hue more similar to Sky than Sky Grey, there are still some mysteries that surround the introduction of the paint.  Most of the duPont 71-line paints were lacquers, but the Corsair's RAF paints were enamels (matched to the duPont numbers).  As such, you won't get the different fading seen on US Navy and Marine aircraft, with pigmented dopes on fabric and pigmented lacquers on metal.  I've seen no evidence that Corsairs would have ever used ANA 602 Light Gray instead of Sky, though that callout shows up in several places.

Enjoy the build - I look forward to following your (and everyone else's) work.  I only wish I had time to join in the group build, but I've three books to finish before November!

Cheers,

Dana

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

36 minutes ago, Dana Bell said:

Hi John,

I have to admit your build choice brought some confusion, none of it your fault.  As everyone has noted, JT228 was a Corsair II based on the F4U-1A,  Checking the internet, I found several pix purporting to be JT228/6A -- but the aircraft in the image is a late Birdcage Mark I.  Turns out the Birdcage version of 6A is JT18x (where the x looks like it might be a 5).

JT228 was delivered with the longer US Navy wingtips.  In February 1944 the refit with short wingtips began; short short tips were introduced that April.  If you've got a good photo, you'll know which tip to use.

The Vought blueprint color callouts were for Army Dark Olive Drab duPont 1071-028; Sea Gray duPont 71-19324; and Sky duPont 71-021.  Note that 71-021 was earlier known as Sky Type S Gray - though most color charts show a greenish hue more similar to Sky than Sky Grey, there are still some mysteries that surround the introduction of the paint.  Most of the duPont 71-line paints were lacquers, but the Corsair's RAF paints were enamels (matched to the duPont numbers).  As such, you won't get the different fading seen on US Navy and Marine aircraft, with pigmented dopes on fabric and pigmented lacquers on metal.  I've seen no evidence that Corsairs would have ever used ANA 602 Light Gray instead of Sky, though that callout shows up in several places.

Enjoy the build - I look forward to following your (and everyone else's) work.  I only wish I had time to join in the group build, but I've three books to finish before November!

Cheers,

Dana

Hi Dana,

I'm always grateful to have extra information when it comes to a subject I'm not that familiar with - and I'm discovering that FAA Corsairs are a rabbit-hole of twists and turns. The only photo I've been able to find of the real JT228 shows the longer wingtips, which now of course calls into question the Xtradecals schematic, which was my original reference. So, I'll have to ponder that one... I'm hoping there's evidence elsewhere of the short short tips, as I really like the look.

I really appreciate the pointers on the colours, particularly in regard to the fading and the Sky colour. Most interesting and useful.

Thank you so much! I hope I can do it justice, and best of luck with the books!

John

5 hours ago, Dana Bell said:

Hi John,

Cheers,

Dana

JT228 corsair_MkI_6A_1833sqdn1944

These are the aircraft @Dana Bell refers to. Note that the top one is JT228 Corsair MkII

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 85sqn said:

Note that the top one is JT228 Corsair MkII

Note also the cowling gills go right round the cowling on both aircraft, there is no fixed section on the top as per the kit. Quite a lot of FAA Corsairs retained the full cowling gills, it wasn't just the early birdcage Mk I's.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, 85sqn said:

JT228 corsair_MkI_6A_1833sqdn1944

These are the aircraft @Dana Bell refers to. Note that the top one is JT228 Corsair MkII

Thank you - I can now clip.

5 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Note also the cowling gills go right round the cowling on both aircraft, there is no fixed section on the top as per the kit. Quite a lot of FAA Corsairs retained the full cowling gills, it wasn't just the early birdcage Mk I's.

Many thanks for that observation - I'll have a look and see what needs to be done to the kit parts.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2020 at 7:58 AM, Grey Beema said:

I don’t think you need replace the engine unless you want it all on display.  Add the ignition cables to the engine front then you’re done as that’s all you can see..

I can't Thank You enough for confirming that.

Hi @John Laidlaw a very interesting choice, regarding non-finishing in GBs I've been exchanging messages with @Ray_W and he has given me some cracking advice. To summarise; only have one project on the go at once, if you're not happy with something you've done leave it overnight and it may seem OK next day, work on sub-assemblies so you complete several tiny builds rather than one big one, research your next project as you get to painting and decals on the current one. Oh and finish one before you start another.

I'm using the same kit and seriously suggest eliminating the belly window early on. I've glued the kit transparency in place and used a smear of filler around the edge but it's taken all day to set hard. The detail on the upper outer wings may need some attention if your moulding is like mine.

Let's see if we can both emerge triumphant from this Gathering of Pirates :D

• Thanks 1

Some great points there! I shall endeavour to stick to them (particularly the one about leaving stuff overnight). Good idea regarding the belly window as well.

Many thanks for the tips, and success to you!

19 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

I'll have a look and see what needs to be done to the kit parts

I've done this with the 1:72 kit with closed gills - glue the gills to the back of the cowling, then carefully cut off the protruding part of the cowling flush with the back of the gills. Use the offcut to fill the gap in the front of the fuselage firewall and fair in to match the rest of the forward profile. Thin the inside of the cut edge of the cowling to match the gills. Mark the front edge of the gills over the cowling extension and scribe, measure off the gills to match the others and scribe, job done.

For open gills I'd suggest the best way would be to use a second set of open gills from another kit (beg, borrow or steal) and splice two halves together. In this case the whole of the cowling extension would be removed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1