FIAT G50 - Airfix 1/72

This is the fairly ancient (1967) Airfix kit. It is very basic (no cockpit or wheel well detail) but I was after something simple. The decals have not aged well - my version was a 1973 or so era kit in a blister pack so the decals were around 47 years old.
I painted the white fuselage band and the cross on the tail as the I didn't like the look of the white in the decals provided.
Nto9ypdY.jpg

pZWxTGr2.jpg

mw99mURv.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

It's OK. I got some silvering on the decals which is always annoying. But, I wanted it finished so I can move on to the next project so did not want to spend any more time ordering after market, better quality, decals.

I get a real buzz completing these older kits. With a  low parts count, you can make decent progress in a short space of time. Very little filler was required too.

• Like 3

I love to see these old Airfix kits being built, and the Fiat G50 is something pretty rare to behold, and yours is a delight.

I find it fascinating that these aircraft took took part in raids on England in 1940.

regards, adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

I get a real buzz completing these older kits. With a  low parts count, you can make decent progress in a short space of time. Very little filler was required too.

This is a significant advantage, isn't it? They make a nice change of pace after doing one of the really modern kits with a billion tiny pieces! It looks splendid, I like the camoflage.

• Like 2

Looks great!

I remember putting one of these together (very poorly, I might add) as a kid.

Mine never looked anywhere near as good as that!

:goodjob:

I do agree with you, though, about these kits being a nice break from today's mega-part/mega-detail kits.

• Like 1

Fantastic. Great job.

This was the very first kit I built and painted on my own, after it was recommended for beginners in Gerald Scarborough's 'Airfix Magazine Guide No. 1 - Plastic Modelling'. Anyone remember that?

• Like 1

On 25/05/2020 at 08:22, Eric Mc said:

the G50 is pretty much a CR42 without the top wing.

The top wing was useful for deflecting the British rain of the pilot's head...............

regards, adey

Edited by adey m