F4U-1D Corsair (with Moto-Tug)

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally finish my entries for the 'A kit I built as a kid GB'. Spitfire STGB and the Buccaneer STGB.

Plan is to tidy the bench this week and with a forecast for a wet weekend will aim to start the Corsair. Haven't decided on a decal option yet but leaning towards the one from VBF-86 USS Wasp.

spacer.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

That does look good, does the kit come with tow-bars ? Or would the need to be scratch built. 

Comes with two types of tow-bar. One that attaches to the tail wheel (reverse towing) and one which attached to the main wheels (forward towing). I am going for the reverse towing option as show on the box art.

I have made good progress today with the cockpit and assembling the fuselage. All out of the box.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Been busy with my SU-122 entry in the T-34 STGB but have made some progress. Centre section of the wing fitted and the outer sections built.

spacer.png

Whilst doing some tiding up I cam across a set of 1/48 FAA Corsair decals I had forgotten I had bought.

spacer.png

End result, a Tamiya F4U-1A in on its way thanks to Mr eBay. It may make an appearance in this GB later on, depending on how I get on with my entries in the T-34STGB, Chopper GB and Battle of Britain GB.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't had much time at the bench recently, spent a long weekend away exercising my 'support bubble'. After 4 months 'home alone', it was just nice to have some company, enjoying the simple things like enjoying a chat over a cup of tea, playing video games with my niece and nephew (and getting well and truly beaten).

Corsair wise, no photo update but she has now been primed with the hope of getting paint on this week.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

Haven't had much time at the bench recently, spent a long weekend away exercising my 'support bubble'. After 4 months 'home alone', it was just nice to have some company, enjoying the simple things like enjoying a chat over a cup of tea, playing video games with my niece and nephew (and getting well and truly beaten).

Corsair wise, no photo update but she has now been primed with the hope of getting paint on this week.

Always nice to spend time with anyone even more so if family. The corsair is secondary as is all plastic, still have 6 weeks so no great hurry. 

The Corsair is out of the paint shop. I am going to add US Gloss Sea Blue to the list of colours (White, Red, Yellow) I don't like painting. Found it difficult to get an even finish. I think it has come out a bit too dark.

spacer.png

Beginning applying the decals.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just have the rickets to add and I will call it finished.

I still plan on building an FAA example, but it will have to be outside of this group build, with my other commitments I wouldn't be able to finish it in time.

• Like 4