Hello everybody ... Build # three of Three. Im sticking with an ancient kit theme here. Im going with Monogram’s venerable F4U-4B kit that was first released in the late 1960’s.
YtZpylf.jpg

The kits major failings are to movable toy like features of the landing gear and gear doors.  The landing gear will be fixed and modernized as best I can. The really bad wing folds that leave horrible gaps. I will replace the cheesy wing folds with Tamiya bits. And the poor cockpit and horrible canopy. I will attempt to remove the canopy with a spare sliding section from another kit. The engine may or may not get drilled out of the cowling and replaced with an A/M engine ? I have a resin cockpit which will hopefully replace or at worst enhance the poor cockpit Monogram used.        vCyyn3W.jpg
Now if you know your Corsairs Monogram got the weapons fit incorrect all over for this plane. 

6uZK2Pe.jpg

The cannons are good, the Rocket stubs and rails are representative for a late 1D or very early -4. So i need to fill and replace the stubs in the correct positions. Two the centerline armament is wrong for a -4/4b, it is correct for a -7 or AU-1. So I will need to fill in the centerline drop tank mount. 

Pw0uYti.jpg

Kit canopy in the lower right. Gv4ZR69.jpg

Aftermarket cockpit I am recycling from a 25 year old build. And bag o spare parts. In case i need some bits. uacEwAk.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 8

This one looks as if it has the potential to get interesting :D A lot of work but a great way to practice techniques.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Col. said:

This one looks as if it has the potential to get interesting :D A lot of work but a great way to practice techniques.

Thanks Col. Ive always thought there was a good kit hiding in this thing. I want to see if I can get it part of the way there. 

• Like 2

On 5/25/2020 at 11:55 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks Col. Ive always thought there was a good kit hiding in this thing. I want to see if I can get it part of the way there. 

I'm sure you will get it all the way there Dennis.

I do like the post war Corsairs so i'm looking forward to this one Dennis.

• Thanks 1

Hello Everyone... Hoping its a good morning. I pulled an all nighter to get the next five builds started. Ive modified the original Monogram kit by removing the canopy and re-using an old resin cockpit. HLA77Sg.jpg

H0m5g20.jpg

p0USE2f.jpg

I will be adding a new instrument coaming over the existing one, then I will use an original windscreen for this to fit in the existing frame. However like I said I've modified it to take a new canopy. s5JNkc4.jpg

Its not perfect by any stretch but its a whole lot better than what was there. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

That windscreen looks like it may be a challenge. Possibly a good candidate for a Falcon/Squadron replacement?

You've certainly hit the ground running.

Actually the windscreen should be ok, I thinned the vertical frame down today. If not I have others that may be adapted for the cause ? 

• Like 1

Morning everyone... well Ive moved to the next step on this build. One I'm removing a majority of the raised panels and rivets. Two Ive drilled out holes for the exhaust pipes. And three Ive built up the wing center section. I asked a little while ago and was given the wing spars from a 1/48 Tamiya kit by @John Laidlaw. I had two sets from previous builds but they decided to go awol. Monogram designed and built in to this and other kits toylike features. Im trying to remove as much of them as possible. Including the folding wings and movable landing gear. GFrwloz.jpg

7DU27GI.jpg

Q3ZVTrN.jpg

d6rAUr8.jpg

y6Bm6Ev.jpg

I had to fix the landing gear doors now but thats not a major issue. Being that this has a single color camouflage there is relatively little masking involved. 

aYzMbSf.jpg

Now as I said in an earlier post this kits armament options are a mixed bag of -4’s, -4B’s, and AU-1’s. The -4’s and 4B’s didn't carry a centerline drop tank or bomb. So I filled the slot for the tank. I will need to fo something about the cannons as they're poorly made. rocket stubs. The rocket stubs on this are laid out for a -4 so i will need to fill and move them to the correct staggered locations. However thats a bit down the road. The wing is attached to the fuselage and setting. Tomorrow will bring work to the sanding and filling of gaps everywhere. 

MvsLzxH.jpg
Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 8

Hello everyone...

Damage report after action:

Sunday June 7th 2020

Sadly this corsair crashed and burned this afternoon. It is on indefinite hold due to unforeseen circumstances. While trying to sand some of the surfacer away in areas that had been rough sanded. The Corsair lost control and proceeded to do 6-7 very tight rolls into terrain. It impacted the floor at high-speed, upside down, with port wing leading the impact first. The by product of said maneuver and crash caused the irreplaceable loss of the port wing spar. Without that this Corsair will not be able to properly fold the wings, nor can I revert this back to its original configuration. To many mods have been done to the wing join area. She has been collected and sent to the storage facility for possible salvage or scrapping. 

End of Report

• Sad 8

Oh no Dennis, I'm really sorry to hear about the accident with the Corsair.

We have all been there with other models and it is really soul destroying when it happens, especially as it is always after we've put a lot of time and effort into them. I hope that she can be resurrected at some time in the future.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Cookenbacher said:

Phooey! I'm sorry to hear that Dennis. Hopefully inspiration will strike one day, and part or all of this one can be used in a future build.

How did you go about building the white 'ribs' in the wings?

Thanks Cookie, I get a rough shape by eyballing it with the old Mk.1’s👀. Then i file and file and file until it fits. I was going to use photo’s that @John Laidlaw had taken of the Tamiya pieces to the add details and inspection covers. I was about to trim the main white piece today to add the tear drop pieces for the flaps. Unfortunately this one decided to take her last flight before her time. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Well While digging through my Corsair file today I found a photo I forgot I had. I found this about 12-18 months ago and its an -4. Its a practice rig for pilots learning how to bail out of a powered corsair. Probably to get used to the wind effect of the moving aircraft. Its not easy to keep your footing while the wind is trying to throw you off.rmgMwIJ.png
At least this build wont get binned ? I wont build this for the group build, mostly due to the fact Im not prepared to build a base due to storage issues. 

Dennis

• Like 7