Fujimi Ferrari Daytona

I finished this one about 6 years ago. It was a bit of a struggle as I'm used to less complicated kits but it turned out OK in the end. Body paint is Sikkens automotive colour with clear coats and Humbrol enamels for everything else. I used chrome decals from Global Toy in China for the Ferrari script and horse - good stuff, I wish they had more of a selection. I also used photo-etch wipers because I broke one of the kit items.

DaytonaFerarriIMG_6812-vi.jpg

DaytonaFerarriIMG_6823-vi.jpg

IMG_643-vi.jpg

IMG_640-vi.jpg

IMG_647-vi.jpg

DaytonaFerarriIMG_6817-vi.jpg

Daytona-vi.jpg

• Like 35

That's gorgeous; a metallic blue Daytona on alloys, with tan leather is pretty much the perfect specification as far as I'm concerned.

Great work!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lvp said:

Fantastic paint work and super clean assembly!

May I ask how you get the chrome window surrounds so smooth and uniform?

Thanks very much everyone, much appreciated!

Lvp - I use Bare Metal Foil. The surface you're applying it to has to be very smooth - fine sand the window frames before applying.

Burnish the foil down thoroughly using q-tips and/or a soft cloth. I also use tooth picks to burnish down into edges and corners. I sand and smooth their ends into different points, sharp to blunt, to get into the different corners, recesses and edges I encounter. I use these also to smooth down the edges after I've cut away the excess foil.

My hands are a little shaky these days so I often lay a strip of Tamiya masking along an edge as a cutting guide. Or I simply cut an appropriate strip of foil and lay it down accurately in such a way that it doesn't need trimming.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, peekay said:

Thanks very much everyone, much appreciated!

Lvp - I use Bare Metal Foil. The surface you're applying it to has to be very smooth - fine sand the window frames before applying.

Thanks for the thorough reply. I sometimes have trouble getting the smoothness-will pay more attention to that step.

Like your user name - two of may favorite sports stars, P K Subban and Nelson Piquet.

• Like 1

As everyone else says, that looks just brilliant. The real auto paint gives a perfect in scale finish, and the detailing and painting is top notch as always. I must give my one a go... I like the glass nose alternative to the pop up lights on the Italeri one in the cabinet. 
best,

M.

• Like 1

Thanks again for further comments.

5 hours ago, Chimpion said:

Absolutely stunning build. What made you choose the Stuttgart plates? Surely this is the equivalent of a Liverpool football shirt in Manchester...

I can see the headline: "Petrol-head rowdies riot over rival's number plate."

I've had several people scratch their heads at the choice of plates on my models. Truth is I don't think too much (or enough?) about it, just use what's available. But I wouldn't be surprised if there are more Daytonas in Germany than in Italy and probably more than half went to America.

BTW The only Daytona I've ever actually seen had Swiss plates and was painted magenta.

18 hours ago, JCH said:

Ferrari red... FORGET THAT!  Gimme this blue any day.  Super build, just super. 

I totally agree! EVERYBODY has a red Ferrari. 😄