My first RFI - An Airfix 1/72 Defiant-based journey of discovery

Okay, the moment of truth...

When I began the kit it was for something to do with a few friends during the lockdown.  Here's a list of things I wasn't aware of when I started, but learned about on the way:

Undercoating

Clear-coating

Weathering

The hairspray trick

Masking

Varnishing the canopy and other perspex to make it look good

That the RAF had standard camouflage patterns in 1940

Decal fixatives / softeners

Scratch building bits to replace things you've broken

Colour washes

Silvering landing lights

That "certain" brands of modelling varnish don't go off properly and they leave a sticky mess

Photo-etch

After-market decals and metal parts

Improving the kit in terms of accuracy (making your own wingtip lights etc)

Paint thinning

Just how white the white part of the RAF roundel can be, despite your best efforts to tame it with multiple washes

Using a flat brush

That your weathering in the panel lines can turn bloody green when it reacts with your final matt coat

Doing hours of research for a model

I could go on; some of the above I learned about in time, some I didn't (but learned about in time to use them on the second model).  In any case, I got to the end in a manner of speaking and have really enjoyed the journey, even if I'm somewhat nonplussed with the destination.  I'm already thinking about a 1/48 Defiant, with a view to doing right by the old girl, as I seem to be much more fond of the Defiant than I was - she wasn't the useless death-trap she's often portrayed to be, after all.

So, here we go - I know it isn't perfect, or even good. I know it leaves a lot to be desired in a lot of areas.  I know that I have a lot to learn and a long way to go.  Still, who cares?  I've had fun.

An overview, mainly showing the naff job I did of mounting the naff decal on the IP.

spacer.png

A pretty cruddy underside; spot the missing decal.  I put it on, but evidently didn't do a good job of fixing it.

spacer.png

She doesn't look too bad here, I suppose.

spacer.png

This shot mainly shows that I need to work on my leading-edge masking (see above)

spacer.png

The turret looks better in real life, but still not brilliant.  I won't use the blobbing-neat-alloy-coloured-paint-on-with-a-pin method next time I'm weathering.

spacer.png

Not too bad perhaps, but I was hoping the exhaust smoke would look a bit more visible and convincing.

spacer.png

If anyone has any advice or tips (apart from taking up golf) I'd be most grateful to receive them.  I'd also like to say a special thanks to @ProfSparks, both for the inspiration and lessons learned from his Defiant WIP thread and for sending me some replacement decals after I made a pig's ear out of one of mine.  Thanks also to everyone who posted encouragement and gave help and suggestions on my WIP thread.

• Like 40

10 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

That looks pretty danged nice to me and look at all the things you're learned. The next one will be even better.

Chris

I have to agree 100%. Each kit teaches us something as we overcome the particular obstacles associated with the kit. That you learned so much from a single model build speaks very well for you. Keep going!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Okay, the moment of truth...

When I began the kit it was for something to do with a few friends during the lockdown.  Here's a list of things I wasn't aware of when I started, but learned about on the way:

Undercoating

Clear-coating

Weathering

The hairspray trick

Masking

Varnishing the canopy and other perspex to make it look good

That the RAF had standard camouflage patterns in 1940

Decal fixatives / softeners

Scratch building bits to replace things you've broken

Colour washes

Silvering landing lights

That "certain" brands of modelling varnish don't go off properly and they leave a sticky mess

Photo-etch

After-market decals and metal parts

Improving the kit in terms of accuracy (making your own wingtip lights etc)

Paint thinning

Just how white the white part of the RAF roundel can be, despite your best efforts to tame it with multiple washes

Using a flat brush

That your weathering in the panel lines can turn bloody green when it reacts with your final matt coat

Doing hours of research for a model

I could go on; some of the above I learned about in time, some I didn't (but learned about in time to use them on the second model).  In any case, I got to the end in a manner of speaking and have really enjoyed the journey, even if I'm somewhat nonplussed with the destination.  I'm already thinking about a 1/48 Defiant, with a view to doing right by the old girl, as I seem to be much more fond of the Defiant than I was - she wasn't the useless death-trap she's often portrayed to be, after all.

So, here we go - I know it isn't perfect, or even good. I know it leaves a lot to be desired in a lot of areas.  I know that I have a lot to learn and a long way to go.  Still, who cares?  I've had fun.

@ProfSparks

Wow, I honestly don't think I've ever seen the longest excuse and apology for the shoddiest modelling job ever. 

But your pictures betray your pessimism and self doubt. If it has faults I can't see them. You might want to point them out to us so we can properly eviscerate you?

All I see is a neat model nicely done. You should be happy. I like it. You did well on that kit. That's what I see. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Excellent start. You have a fine future in this hobby. The model stands up well to the test of the close up. We all know the close up shows far more than you see in reality. So good job all round.

• Thanks 1

She's very pretty! You've made a great job! :speak_cool:

7 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

I know it leaves a lot to be desired in a lot of areas. 

Everyone of us can see that he could do it better after the model is finished ... Such is the modeler's curse! ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow, thanks everybody, for your kind words and encouragement!

Seeing some of the masterpieces shown in RFI threads made me a bit reticent about posting my own, but I'm glad I did it.  Hopefully I can make some improvements on the next model and learn more methods and techniques as I go.

Again, thanks very much for the encouragement and advice I've received from everyone.

JRK

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Aces High said:

That's excellent! Have you done this before?

Thanks!  I used to, years ago, but only as a youngster in the build-it-in-15-minutes-and-slap-some-paint-on sense.

The joy of this hobby is you learn every time. 

That looks a lot better than my first go when I came back to the hobby.  Every day is a school day but there is some talent there so I say go for it!

One thing I did to get better was to build a lot of one thing, Spitfires and Hurricanes are goof for this because there are so many versions to work through.

Doing that you learn the quirks of the kit, and can the concentrate on the finishing and techniques to paint, decal & weather etc.

• Thanks 1

Your list pretty much sums up why this is such a compelling hobby. For each build I end up with a mental list of diverse things I have learnt. I just love that.

Great model thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

You’ve hit the nail on the head, many of the models on show are masterpieces, but don’t be discouraged, not many of us 

can achieve this very high standard. Actually for a first model I think you have done exceptionaly well. Keep ‘em coming !

Wulfman

• Thanks 1

I think you did a great job on the weathering, and the exhaust looks real. Doesn't have to absolutely dominate the front part of the fuselage every time, just look around at photos! 

• Thanks 1

That is a brilliant job for a rebeginning build, very few nits to pick at all. Maybe a seam under the nose & maybe believing Airfix's colour calls. It looks like you used Humbrol 30 for the green, it's what Airfix usually recommend but it's not the best green you could have used, in Humbrol 116 (matt) or 163 (satin), still as good as any other range for this colour. That apart, it's a cracking effort.

Steve

• Thanks 1

You should be very proud of this model - I think you have done splendid job, looks great from down here in the Antipodes. Nice paintwork and general assembly of what I have seen to be a fairly complex build. If I can offer one suggestion? - just check all your joint lines as the ones under the nose and rear fuselage against a pale paint scheme needed a little bit of filling. Just glue it to a base and no-one will ever know!! ha ha! 

• Like 1