F.A.A. Corsair Mk.II AKA The Phoenix rises !

I'm back now after throwing the spanner against the pigeons for you Dennis :blush:

What phone OS are you using? iOS (Apple), or Android?  That might give us a clue on what software to suggest.  Also, do you have any kind of PC/Mac to play with, or are you cell phone only?  I'll check your photo host in a minute, as they might have some tools to shrinkie-dink your photos for you, as I'd imagine it'd be in their best interests to reduce the storage being used. :)

It's Imgur, and I had a quick look at their help area.  There's a bit about sizing, optimising & stuff here:

https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/210077233-Editing-Images

If you're using the App (which I suspect you will be), look for some similar sorts of functions on your phone. :yes:

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm back now after throwing the spanner against the pigeons for you Dennis :blush:

What phone OS are you using? iOS (Apple), or Android?  That might give us a clue on what software to suggest.  Also, do you have any kind of PC/Mac to play with, or are you cell phone only?  I'll check your photo host in a minute, as they might have some tools to shrinkie-dink your photos for you, as I'd imagine it'd be in their best interests to reduce the storage being used. :)

It's Imgur, and I had a quick look at their help area.  There's a bit about sizing, optimising & stuff here:

https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/210077233-Editing-Images

If you're using the App (which I suspect you will be), look for some similar sorts of functions on your phone. :yes:

IOS 13.5 on an Apple iPhone 10, no computers at all and no public access at a library either. Sadly I did unfortunately you said it was worse. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I've just run that photo through Photoshop, and it comes out at 82kb optimised for web.  All those blocks of colour should lead to a very compact file, as the same colours are usually tokenised during the compression process.  How that's come out to 354kb is a mystery.

Here's my version:

spacer.png

82kb

spacer.png

106kb

It just goes to show that somewhere along the line, your photos are being stored using an inefficient and data consuming manner, even though they are being saved as a .jpg.  Maybe the compression on the .jpg is set too low, or quality too high?  Not having access to an iPhone, I can't really help in too much depth, but if you can find a way of shrinking your pics down, the server and your fellow Britmodellers will thank you :)

Maybe post up a question in Help & Support in the hope that an iPhone user will have had some experiences similar to yours, and to avoid diluting your thread any more :yes:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Maybe post up a question in Help & Support in the hope that an iPhone user will have had some experiences similar to yours, and to avoid diluting your thread any more :yes:

I will keep looking into this Mike, Im sorry it want my intention to beca problem with the photo’s. Being such a prolific builder it must be a pain in all my threads. Obviously I can see the images but I assume you must be seeing something to indicate that they were oversized. I just wish I were more tech proficient so I could figure it all out. Having had three computers over 13 years from 1999-2012. With all three committing ritual Seppuku in that time frame. Im not inspired to outlay my very limited funds on a new one plus a new camera. Thus my reason for using the cellular. I will start a thread when I get done reviewing my inbox and commenting here in the Corsair build. Until I figure it out I will try to limit the number of photo’s in my threads.  

Dennis

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ok tried a new a 2nd app this one is 600x400 and 354.1 Kb. oT10a0s.png

Dennis,

While you can resize your iPhone photos dimensionally on your iphone, you can't change the photo's pixel resolution.  Ergo, big pictures.  To resize them both dimensionally AND the resolution, you need an app.  Fortunately, there's an app for that (sorry for the old ad tag line).  :thumbsup:

What app did you already try?  If you haven't tried it yet, you may want to give "Image Size" a shot.  It's in the App Store and it's free if you don't mind the occasional ad.  Hope this helps. :wink:

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, uncletommy said:

Dennis,

While you can resize your iPhone photos dimensionally on your iphone, you can't change the photo's pixel resolution.  Ergo, big pictures.  To resize them both dimensionally AND the resolution, you need an app.  Fortunately, there's an app for that (sorry for the old ad tag line).  :thumbsup:

What app did you already try?  If you haven't tried it yet, you may want to give "Image Size" a shot.  It's in the App Store and it's free if you don't mind the occasional ad.  Hope this helps. :wink:

I appreciate any help anyone can give me Tommy. That photo was downsized using Image size this is the app. I only have access to the iPhone 10 using ios 13.5.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/image-size/id670766542

Mike says it is smaller but its still at 354 kb. Ideally i would like to get it too 200 kb or less. But according to Mike it might be a problem with the jpeg and not just downsizing it using an app. Mike used photoshop and optimized it for web, he got it down to 82 kb. I don't have a computer or access to one. So i don't even know if i can use photoshop on an iPhone ? 

Dennis

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I appreciate any help anyone can give me Tommy. That photo was downsized using Image size this is the app. I only have access to the iPhone 10 using ios 13.5.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/image-size/id670766542

Mike says it is smaller but its still at 354 kb. Ideally i would like to get it too 200 kb or less. But according to Mike it might be a problem with the jpeg and not just downsizing it using an app. Mike used photoshop and optimized it for web, he got it down to 82 kb. I don't have a computer or access to one. So i don't even know if i can use photoshop on an iPhone ? 

Dennis

Dennis,

Gimme a few minutes to fiddle with it.  I shamelessly stole your photo and I'll abuse it for a bit to see if I can't put something together for you that will work.  I've got a iPhone XR still on 13.4.1 but that shouldn't matter.  I'll get back to you shortly.  Want me to post an answer here, or in your help post, or just PM you?  :unsure:

8 minutes ago, uncletommy said:

Dennis,

Gimme a few minutes to fiddle with it.  I shamelessly stole your photo and I'll abuse it for a bit to see if I can't put something together for you that will work.  I've got a iPhone XR still on 13.4.1 but that shouldn't matter.  I'll get back to you shortly.  Want me to post an answer here, or in your help post, or just PM you?  :unsure:

Any where is fine but maybe the help post as it will leave a trail for others to see in the future. I have Dr.s appt soon so wont be able to respond for a little while.

Excellent choice, I'm sure I once had this kit as a Matchbox release back in the 90's. Went tighter really quite well and turned out nice in the end. Hope you get your photo probs sorted, looking forward to seeing this one progress.

Cheers now

Bob

• Thanks 1

I have done the Otaki kit a couple of times now, they're slightly basic so nice choice of R2800 to go with it. 

Btw the FAA corsairs didn't use the Brewster style bomb rack. The Corsair MkII's (F4U-1d) and MkIV's (Fg-1D) used the twin pylons to carry bombs. On some there is a conversion to enable British bombs still using the twin pylons.

Happy modelling!

• Thanks 1

I use Imgur, though on a laptop.  I don't know what it looks like on the phone, but when I'm on the page for the image I wish to post, down on the lower right are a series of choices such as "Tiny Thumbnail", "Medium Thumbnail", "Huge Thumbnail", "My God Look at the Size of That Thumbnail"... you get the idea.  On my F4U-4 thread the "out of the box" shot was (I think) Medium thumbnail, and the cowling shot (which was cropped from the original photo) was "Huge Thumbnail".  They look fine on my screen, but Mike will probably tell me that there's something wrong with them (just kidding- I hope).

Edit: forgot an important point: When I click on the size, it doesn't do anything that I've noticed to acknowledge my desire.  But then when I copy the direct link it seems to have it at the right (or requested) size.

I have a soft spot for the Otaki kit- once upon a time I decided that I had to have a Corsair on my shelf to admire, I bought the kit, and in about 2 1/2 weeks it was done.  Uncharacteristic of me even then.  As I recall, I stole an engine from something, probably Monogram, and wheels (or just tires?) from something else- I think a Testors P-47.  Used some heat-shrink tubing to make better exhausts, and left it at that.  While I haven't given it the ol' micrometer inspection, I still think it looks like a Corsair!

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

Hello Everyone... Hoping its a good morning. I pulled an all nighter to get the next five builds started. If anyone here know the Arii/Otaki kit one of its minor failings is the cockpit. It has a solid floor which is incorrect for a -1 type corsair. 7SbSrCR.jpg
So after doing a standard modification to this. And I'm referring to the fact it's standard for myself, having built a half dozen of these over the years. I did the following modifications. OqcZQmN.jpg

PEdpdCT.jpg

4z8X17D.jpg
you can at least see the bottom of the plane now from the seat. 1DBjfZq.jpg

FySfQlp.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 8

Evening everyone... Not much today but I managed to close up the Fuselage. tuEmTOo.jpg

After that I was trying to determine what to do about the kits poor representation of the P&W R-2800. I ultimately opted for the resin copy of Monograms P-61 engine. 
l6akiJD.jpg

This is just mocked up right here. ⬆️ as it still needs to be painted. I have a plastic version of the P-61 engine as well. However that would require much more surgery to get it to sit at the correct depth in the cowling. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 7

Another very good start. The instrument panel treatment looks most effective.

I don't understand much about the picture issue but I'm glad you seem to be on top of it. My Tech guy (11 yo at the time) got me set up on tumblr and I've never looked back. A lot of the nsfw stuff has gone from there which may or may not be a good thing....

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

I don't understand much about the picture issue but I'm glad you seem to be on top of it.

I think ive got it cracked as im running photo’s in the 80-130 Kb range instead of the massive ones I was running before. The sweet spot seems to be in that zone. Anything smaller and everything gets blurry, anything bigger than 200 Kb and the Forum software hates it. 

• Like 1