F.A.A. Corsair Mk.II AKA The Phoenix rises !

Hello everybody... This will be my second build of three. Its the old Otaki 1/48 F4U-1a Corsair, very high quality for its day in the 1970’s with engraved panel lines. Ive built many of these over the years before Tamiya’s kits hit the scene. Other than the poor representation of the P&W R-2800, single piece canopy, and solid wings it is still a very good kit. I intend to try and replace the engine in mine as I have a few spares in my collection. This will represent a plane from I believe 1836 Squadron in January of 1945. It wears the Temperate Sea Scheme and standard roundels of the North Atlantic. lnyA5Wm.jpg

I believe this was done as they were working up and training for deployment to the Pacific theater. Very similar to this profile but roundels are different. gOQwwqD.jpg

And this photo. Aq40df2.jpg

If Im incorrect please anyone chime on and i can fix whatever. The rest of the sprue photo’s. ElJYo2L.jpg

KWmUrVO.jpg

xFaxMhK.jpg

khU9Huq.jpg
Im not sure and seriously doubt the F.A.A. Corsairs ever used this mount for bombs.  jjHofMW.jpgHowever if they did and I can see it I may use this instead of the drop tank. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts.

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 6

Not 1836, at least not at that date.   This is shown in the lower profile in Indian Ocean markings, and 1836 went from there to the Pacific.  This is some other unit in Northern waters.  The 8 normally means the third fighter squadron on the carrier, which suggests one of the armoured deck Fleet carriers.  However the only other unit to carry an 8 in this period was (apparently) 1831, which was in Northern waters in early 1945, being carried from the US on HMS Pursuer and joining the new Light Fleet carrier HMS Glory.  Not likely to have had three fighter squadrons, to say the least.  The unit code was actually Y8 so the first letter may not have been carried.  I can't see a serial on the transfer sheet, but 1831 had Mk.IVs not Mk.IIs.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Not 1836, at least not at that date.   This is shown in the lower profile in Indian Ocean markings, and 1836 went from there to the Pacific.  This is some other unit in Northern waters.  The 8 normally means the third fighter squadron on the carrier, which suggests one of the armoured deck Fleet carriers.  However the only other unit to carry an 8 in this period was (apparently) 1831, which was in Northern waters in early 1945, being carried from the US on HMS Pursuer and joining the new Light Fleet carrier HMS Glory.  Not likely to have had three fighter squadrons, to say the least.  The unit code was actually Y8 so the first letter may not have been carried.  I can't see a serial on the transfer sheet, but 1831 had Mk.IVs not Mk.IIs.

I have these decals 9l93Bsk.jpgthat I can switch too. However I was hoping to use the standard roundel version, is there anything I can do to save that option ? Failing that I can switch to Kiwi or U.S.

• Like 1

Evening :)

I tested some of the pics, and they were 600kb+ in size, which is huge when posting up on the internet.  You should be aiming to save your files to around 200kb optimally, give or take a bit.  To accomplish this, you can reduce the size of your pics, as anything over the recommended 1024 x 800 maximum we advise, it's wasted bandwidth and storage space useage.  Most people view these pics on phones, tablets and 1080p screens, so huge photos of 4000 x 3000 px will have to be shrunk down by the forum software (load on the server and delay for the user), as well as the extra bandwidth that is uses up (10x what's necessary).

The downsides of this from a viewer's point of view is the waiting time before you can view the pics, and some people might get bored and click away.  From the server's point of view, it's wasteful of bandwidth, storage size (we cache images to improve speed), and it's also wasteful of the server's resources, which means a slower experience for all of us.

This isn't meant as a "telling off" BTW, more of a bit of useful advice to help you as well as help us.  If you can size your pics to the recommended limits, we'll be really happy, and so will the members ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mike said:

tested some of the pics, and they were 600kb+ in size, which is huge when posting up on the internet.  You should be aiming to save your files to around 200kb optimally, give or take a bit.  To accomplish this, you can reduce the size of your pics, as anything over the recommended 1024 x 800

Can I do this from a cellular ? I don't have a real camera or computer. If i can i will just dont know how to change sizes if possible in iPhone10 ? 

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Can I do this from a cellular ? I don't have a real camera or computer. If i can i will just dont know how to change sizes if possible in iPhone10 ? 

afaik send the photos to yourself first, this reduces their memory size, then try posting on here

as an aside, I edit my photos and save a 1200 x ?? pixel photo to my photo host, then copy and paste either a 600 or 800 pixie wide photo which tend to be in the 250 to 300kb range

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

There's an app for iOS called Resize Image that does that - it has an in-app purchase facility to remove ads at $1.99, but you can try it out first and see if it does what you need:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/resize-image/id409547517

The other alternative is to use a basic Flickr account, which will automatically optimise image size. Just some thoughts.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

afaik send the photos to yourself first, this reduces their memory size, then try posting on here

as an aside, I edit my photos and save a 1200 x ?? pixel photo to my photo host, then copy and paste either a 600 or 800 pixie wide photo which tend to be in the 250 to 300kb range

Ok im so tech illiterate that made no sense to me. ☹️ Maybe if you explained it to a me as if Im a computer tech noob. 

1 hour ago, John Laidlaw said:

There's an app for iOS called Resize Image that does that - it has an in-app purchase facility to remove ads at $1.99, but you can try it out first and see if it does what you need:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/resize-image/id409547517

The other alternative is to use a basic Flickr account, which will automatically optimise image size. Just some thoughts.

I will take a look at this. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ok im so tech illiterate that made no sense to me. ☹️ Maybe if you explained it to a me as if Im a computer tech noob. 

on another forum we have members who cannot load large memory photos. the limit is 1.46mb

This is what a couple of members say about it;

"I can only speak to I-phones, but I send my photos to myself in medium size, and then save them back to the photo library. This seems to reduce the file size enough to post them."

"Thanks. I tried your method as well and I think it might be a little easier. I just emailed the pic. from my photo file to myself in a smaller format, then saved it to a new file with the extension "small" after it. Then I started a new topic under Critique my work, uploaded the files, and Viola' there she be. "

I don't use one of these phones so I can say no more on the method

• Thanks 1

While searching for something else entirely I came upon this photo. 

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205187019

Wonders never cease its my exact plane from Operation Tungsten. Well looks like the scheme is legit. 😀 Just looked up HMS Victorious and for the year of 1944 her  Air-wing  compliment was. 

February 1944 – October 1945 = 1834 Corsair II/IV

March–April 1944 = 827 Barracuda II

March–July 1944 = 829 Barracuda II

March–August 1944 = 831 Barracuda II

March 1944 – October 1945 = 1836 Corsair II/IV

July–Sept 1944 = 1837 Corsair II

July 1944= 1838 Corsair II

So that answers the question of which squadron mine came from. That info was taken from here. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Victorious_(R38)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

on another forum we have members who cannot load large memory photos. the limit is 1.46mb

This is what a couple of members say about it;

"I can only speak to I-phones, but I send my photos to myself in medium size, and then save them back to the photo library. This seems to reduce the file size enough to post them."

"Thanks. I tried your method as well and I think it might be a little easier. I just emailed the pic. from my photo file to myself in a smaller format, then saved it to a new file with the extension "small" after it. Then I started a new topic under Critique my work, uploaded the files, and Viola' there she be. "

I don't use one of these phones so I can say no more on the method

Thanks Ive found a setting inside my iPhone that allows me to downsize and have been testing it. Ive flagged mike to see if its improved the situation. 

In August 1841 & 1842 on board HMS Formidable took part in Operation Goodwood.

Is this the kind of thing you were after?  I’m sure between the collective brain here we can get serials and ID letters

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205157162

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Grey Beema said:

In August 1841 & 1842 on board HMS Formidable took part in Operation Goodwood.

Is this the kind of thing you were after?  I’m sure between the collective brain here we can get serials and ID letters

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205157162

Yes thank you for responding, I've been doing a deep search into the WW2 chat section. And just found a post from February from you in fact. The first link is my exact plane. So I can go ahead with my build. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Photo down sizing test,  @Mike how is this ? eS1dNpc.jpg

If anything it's slightly worse :S Have a look on Play/app store for an app to optimise photos for web :)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

Dennis, the image is still showing as 2,048px × 1,452px (scaled to 1,199px × 850px), and 1,143.55 KB in size. In fact, your new image seems to be located at the same Imgur URL, https://i.imgur.com/apN6Zst.jp.

Could you try uploading the new one again, only with a different filename? That might fix it.

Don't even know how to do that ? Im really not tech fluent. I re-uploaded it into Imgur after I played with sizing ? It shouldn't have used the old address ? 

Hmm. This can be a problem when uploading a new version of something - the site doesn't always recognise there's a new one there and so uses the original one. Could you take a new photo, resize it using the app, then upload it to Imgur and post the link here?

5 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

Hmm. This can be a problem when uploading a new version of something - the site doesn't always recognise there's a new one there and so uses the original one. Could you take a new photo, resize it using the app, then upload it to Imgur and post the link here?

Tried again ? Both dimensions are 1004x696

Ef0qT1s.jpg
so in theory should be ok

• Like 2