Hello everyone.... This one of my three builds for this group build. I will be building this as Gregory Pappy Boyington’s 883 his go to Corsair during the time that VMF-214 were in the Slot. vil5Nmv.jpg
The decals in the kit actually combine 17786 and 16883 aircraft into one.
iaWCbdw.jpg

Incorrect though they are most of the decals will be used for the build. All I need do is change the side #’s from 86 to 883. 17786 was famously used for a series of photo’s and an article shortly before Pappy was shot down and Captured. The obligatory sprue shots. 

vHz6aD5.jpg

fIXw2Eg.jpg

Im not sure i will use the resin engine, my fat sausage fingers may not be able to handle the delicate work of assembling it. Though its still a possible. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts.

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 13

A famous choice Dennis and no less valid for that. The engine looks more of a task than the whole kit but will be lost work unless you're displaying it with the cowls off.

• Thanks 1

Colonel Robin Olds talks about 'Pappy  ' Boyington in his book 'Fighter Pilot' where Olds arrives in Vietnam to talk command o the 8th TFW. Sounds like quite a character. 

Good subject for a build.

Colin 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Colin W said:

Colonel Robin Olds talks about 'Pappy  ' Boyington in his book 'Fighter Pilot' where Olds arrives in Vietnam to talk command o the 8th TFW. Sounds like quite a character. 

Good subject for a build.

Colin 

He was, he is one of my all time favorites. He cared more about his men than himself or Navy regulations. He always chose the most questionable plane in the squadron pool so no one else had to fly it. This will be the 4th or 5th Corsair of his I have built. I am doing a collection of all of his planes. Which will include An Boeing F4F-B, Grumman F3F, P-40, Grumman F4F, And Two corsairs. 

• Like 4

Good morning Dennis

Very good choice , I discovered the career of this pilot when I was a kid at the beginning of the 70s when the French TV broadcasted the Baa Baa Black Sheep series, even if in this series his life was very ''romanticized'' it was also the opportunity to see Corsairs and Zeros in combat ..

Have fun with your build 

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 2

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Couldn't really have a Corsair STGB without one of Boyington's aircraft in it could we Dennis.

Nice choice mate.

No that was never going to happen. If I hadn't done it and found know else hadn't I would have switched. I have multiple Corsair sheets at my disposal, like thats a big shock with my screen name. So If someone/anyone needs anything check with me and I’ll see if I have it. 

• Like 1

Hello Everyone... Hoping its a good morning. I pulled an all nighter to get the next five builds started.xb6Uo5r.jpg

JQvYoBM.jpg

d5zcP7o.jpg

I should be able to close this up over the weekend sometime. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

You've got weeks to build in not days! :D Pretty good start though. I love the Spitfire price ticket too.

Nice start though and some interesting background too.

Yes I know Im trying to get the bulk work done before i get into the small stuff. I will slow it down now and concentrate on each one in its turn. You know I never noticed that price tag saying Spitfire, Someone at the Hobby-town goofed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Quite right! Slow down Dennis you're making everyone else look bad.

Ive been on a Corsair moratorium since i started the idea for this group build. I'm a wee bit enthusiastic, kinda like a addict that hasn't had a fix in a long while. 

• Haha 3

Evening everyone... Pulled an all nighter but was too tired to post these at 3:00 am. I was able to build up and add the wings.  GHIj121.jpgBefore that I found the lower cockpit bulkhead/frame causes some fit issues. Gi3dFLw.jpg
So I clipped off the bottom to a point that still has enough clearance with glue. It's hard to see in the following photo’s but the PPP worked and filled the little gaps

Uu5posN.jpg

xVCXHGj.jpg

91OQrXH.jpg

Once that was done i had to add some filler, problem is the filler is white so is the plastic. Had a think and in the end added a half dozen drops of surfacer to the PPP mix. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 4

Evening everybody... Well just some minor filling and sanding with some PPP and this should be good for paint. 1vv0CbR.jpg

4P35ice.jpg

1CTzoGr.jpg

There are some minor size issues with my cowling which created a pronounced chin very similar to a -4 Corsair. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

P.S. - Have I mentioned just how much I HATE the white plastic on this kit ! You cant see anything without looking from a very oblique angle to catch light. 

• Like 4

Morning everybody... Well I was finally able to get the aluminum on all my builds tonight. qwm9l3p.jpg

nWj3lqA.jpg

fa3yH4K.jpg

Tp3tkqo.jpg

Onto clear coat tomorrow then i can add the ZCY, once thats on its first round of hairspray. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

A family photo of all my current builds. YpIfw82.jpg

• Like 5