1/144 Zvezda Singapore Airlines Boeing 777-200

Hot on the heels of my recent BA Negus 747-100 comes another of my Zvezda 777-300 to -200 conversion projects. This time it's the turn of Singapore Airlines a livery I have always admired as I think it is very stylish and classy.

The build was straight forward enough but I did have to buy a second set of decals as the gold was discoloured by Microsol where it wraps around the rear belly. On the second application I just kept smoothing the decal with a paper towel and hot water until any wrinkles were flattened out. I already knew Ray (Romeo Alpha Yankee) had a similar problem with his decal so there really wasn't any excuse!

Apart from the Microsol problem the Flying Colors decals were excellent. I did have to cut them down to fit a -200 as they are designed for the -300 but this didn't prove too difficult. 

Paint is Halfords Appliance White for the fuselage and Racking Grey for the wings and engines which are the superb, highly recommended RR Trent 800s from Bra.Z.

Cockpit and cabin windows are as usual from Authentic Airliners.

Here are some pics.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The eagle eyed amongst you may notice the taxiway centrelines have been upgraded to comply with ICAO regulations!

Thanks for looking and I hope you like it!

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan
  • Like 42
  • Thanks 1

That's  a lovely model Ian.  I'm coming around to the belief that the 200 series actually does look better proportioned than the 300. Looks great in the Singapore livery too.  I agree with you regarding the Braz engines as well.  I picked a set up at last years Telford show for a possible conversion along the same lines.

Thanks for posting.

Chris.

Wonderful build, Ian
How do you do all those little sensors and pitot probes? I love small detail like this on the airliners because I think it really adds a lot to the realistic look however I struggle to cut out a small round shape out of the decal sheet (or even ADF antenna shape) which seems like an obvious thing to do.
Maybe there's some "generic little round dots" decals for 1/144? I'd love to have!

Hi Ian;

What a beautiful build, as usual! Love the Singapore livery as well. Kind of a shame the gold discolored because of the Microsol. Actually, a surprise. I always buy 2 sheets of the livery I’m using just in case of anything that could happen unforeseen. At any rate, you’ve done a magnificent job once again...hats off to the conversion, too. Are you using a particular PE set for pitot tubes, antennae, gear parts, etc.? :clap2:

Paul

Edited by Challenger350Pilot

Thanks for all the replies everyone I really appreciate all the praise!

17 hours ago, stringbag said:

I agree with you regarding the Braz engines as well.  I picked a set up at last years Telford show for a possible conversion along the same lines

Hi Chris,

This is the second set I've used and I love them. The break down of the parts makes it nice and easy to paint and they look good and fit well. Brass etched blades would be nice though as sometimes the resin ones require some tricky clean up.

16 hours ago, Graeme H said:

Wonderful build as always, and SQ just announced they are putting all the -200's out to pasture, great pity

Thanks Graeme, yes these and about 500 other widebodies great pity indeed!

8 hours ago, Sent-off said:

How do you do all those little sensors and pitot probes?

Hi, they're etched brass extras from my recent Authentic Airliners 747 build. Fortunately the Flying Colors decal includes the ADF antennae but all the other 'generic little round dots' were printed by me. I design all the extra little bits like that, cargo door latches, panels of instructions for ground crew, warning labels etc in inkscape then print out on my laser printer.

4 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Hi Ian;

What a beautiful build, as usual! Love the Singapore livery as well. Kind of a shame the gold discolored because of the Microsol. Actually, a surprise. I always buy 2 sheets of the livery I’m using just in case of anything that could happen unforeseen. At any rate, you’ve done a magnificent job once again...hats off to the conversion, too. Are you using a particular PE set for pitot tubes, antennae, gear parts, etc.? :clap2:

Paul

Thanks Paul, sounds like a good idea to get duplicates I might start doing that in future!

For my last two 777-200s I used the Metallic Details etched brass sheet however I had some pitots left over from my AA 747 build and decided to scratch build the undercarriage detail this time. I'll have to add a close up pic of the undercarriage. Because the main landing gear is quite visible on the 777 you can see any added detail easily so it's probably worth doing.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Hi Ian

I think most of the superlatives have already been used but that really is magnificent. The photos are amazingly realistic as well. Part of me says I want to do the -200 conversion myself but the other part says I could never match your standards!

Many years ago I built a China Yunnan B767 using the Flying Colors sheet and had a similar problem with the gold but the discolouration didn't appear until after the model was completely finished.:rant: It isn't a recent issue and ever since I've steered clear of anything of theirs that has gold on it. Glad you eventually got such a good result.

All the best

Dave G

Another flawless build Ian, I love the finish you get on your models it has just the right level of sheen on it. Great base too, I really must get around to making one myself. Nothing is more frustrating than having decal troubles, but you overcame it. I agree with Chris, the -200 is better looking. The same is true of the 767.

Cheers

John

Absolutely brilliant Ian. Beautifully finished, you smashed it out of the ball park with this one!! 
Seems some good things do actually come out of this whole sorry lockdown business!

Fantastic job Ian, flawless fit and finish from nose to tail!

Those decals look superb.  Also, got to love those Authentic Airliners window decals.  I have some for my future 747 build and I’m tempted to get them for some other future builds as that extra bit of realism is worth it when funds allow.

On 25/05/2020 at 17:35, Skodadriver said:

Hi Ian

I think most of the superlatives have already been used but that really is magnificent. The photos are amazingly realistic as well. Part of me says I want to do the -200 conversion myself but the other part says I could never match your standards!

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much! I think you are definitely doing yourself a disservice, you as well as many others here are easily capable of this conversion. I'd love to see which livery you'd finish it in.

Was your problem with the gold caused by Microsol do you think? Maybe Ahmed could include a warning in the instructions.

On 25/05/2020 at 19:55, Viking said:

Another flawless build Ian, I love the finish you get on your models it has just the right level of sheen on it. Great base too, I really must get around to making one myself. Nothing is more frustrating than having decal troubles, but you overcame it. I agree with Chris, the -200 is better looking. The same is true of the 767.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Thank you! To get the level of sheen I like I rub down the appliance white with 1500 grit micromesh so it is completely Matt then polish it up to a gloss with 8000 grit.

Which livery would you finish a -200 in?

On 26/05/2020 at 00:27, Chanex said:

Absolutely brilliant Ian. Beautifully finished, you smashed it out of the ball park with this one!! 
Seems some good things do actually come out of this whole sorry lockdown business!

Thank you Nick! It's the better weather, more than lockdown, which means I was able to get outside and spray some models I've been working on over winter!

On 26/05/2020 at 22:22, PhantomBigStu said:

Another cracker, agree with the comment re the proportions, just a shame zvezda have not followed up with a 200 series kit

Cheers Stu, I agree, it would be very easy for them to produce an LR or an F but then again it's easy conversion for anyone!

On 27/05/2020 at 03:27, BluesModeller said:

Fantastic job Ian, flawless fit and finish from nose to tail!

Those decals look superb.  Also, got to love those Authentic Airliners window decals.  I have some for my future 747 build and I’m tempted to get them for some other future builds as that extra bit of realism is worth it when funds allow.

Thank you very much Mike.

Yes the AA window decals are definitely worth the extra cost. I've been a fan of them since Werner first introduced them and, for me, they revolutionised my modelling. Grey blank windows just don't cut the mustard any more!

On 25/05/2020 at 19:53, Wulfman said:

Superb build and finish, excellent work !

Wulfman

Thanks Wulfman very nice of you to say!

Cheers,

Ian

11 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Was your problem with the gold caused by Microsol do you think? Maybe Ahmed could include a warning in the instructions.

I can't imagine it being anything else. I probably used more solvent than normal because the green and gold stripes which should have been parallel were not and I had to do a lot of nipping and tucking to make things look respectable. I was pretty unimpressed and eventually the model was stripped back to the bare plastic, fitted with BraZ engines and re-finished as Zoom.