A Persian cat... (IRIAF F-14A Tomcat, Tamiya #61114 1:48)

I definitely agree with Tonys suggestion of using oils. On my recent builds I've basically done all my post shading with various shades of grey, brown and green artists oils. It works better for me on a gloss coat - i found if you're not happy you can rescue the situation by removing the oils with thinner. I also definitely agree with Tony that the key is to go slowly, build up bit by bit and stop before you overdo it (that's half the skill). Your cat is looking great but good luck if you go for it with the oils!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, nasosrr said:

One question though, if you feel like explaining a bit more: Does one work the oils on a matt or gloss/satin surface? I'm guessing the underlying colours need some protection from the thinner, so perhaps some GUNZE clear gloss after the paintjob and before the oils?

It doesn’t really matter mate, depends on what look you’re after. 
The surface finish will affect the final look. Satin is probably the best compromise using the matt effect thinner. 

Think of it this way - 

On a gloss surface the oils will sit ‘ontop’ and it will be a streaky finish from brushing them about. Problem is you will then need a matt coat and applying an overall varnish for this matt subject, you will lose alot of the subtle oil effects. 

On a matt surface the oils will sit ‘in’ and be absorbed by the rougher texture of the surface and the effect will be stronger and more defined. 

Satin is half and half. 

Because spraying a final varnish over oil weathering can reduce it’s effects, I rarely do that anymore. 

I do oil weathering as the last stage, once the model is finished in its required final varnish be it satin or matt etc. That way you can see your work easily and not worry about losing it if you still needed to varnish. 

Also you can get alot more surface variation that way and make things more interesting. 
Eg finish with overall satin varnish but then use the matt effect thinners with the oils in some areas to provide a contrast. Paint on real things is matt/bleached rough and faded in some areas, and then worn smoother and satin from rubbed in grime or wear and tear in others etc. 

Hope that makes sense. 

• Like 2

@Tony Oliver and @SaminCam and everyone else here actually,

you guys are an incredible source of information and knowledge, which you, on top of everything, share so willingly with others!!! It's amazing, I really can't thank you enough! You've probably just saved a cat from ending up in the trash can.

I think I understand how the technique works. I am well aware however that I cannot apply it properly at this point. Such a technique needs practice . What I am going to do is finish the Tomcat, without more weathering and then get an older (and most importantly cheaper) model from the shelf, probably a P-51 with an olive drab paintjob, suitable for fading, and practice on it. I obviously need more materials as well, those thinners you mentioned Tony, I need to drive to the nearby city to get them. So, it's going to take a while.

But thanks again, both for the info and for helping me decide what I want to do with this tomcat. I really appreciate it!!!

Fun fact? I kind of like the Harvard in its new, 3-colour camouflage! 😄 I should build another one and paint it in this made-up scheme. Haha.

• Like 1

Good morning lads and lassies. Hope you're all doing very well.

A strange question to you, especially the tomcat enthusiasts with foreign language skills and particularly Farsi.

Would anyone happen to know what text is written on the Iranian Remove Before Flight tags used in the tomcat? Is it in English or Farsi? And if it's the latter, any idea where I can find the text to copy and paste it? I googled it, but didn't find anything. :(

I'm making my own RBF tags and if I have the opportunity to get this one right, then why not? Otherwise I'm using plain ones with text in English.

Thank you in advance. Have a lovely Sunday. 

Another question please, and apologies in advance, in case I am being a bit irritating.

I've painted the weapons. 4 x AIM-54, 2 x AIM-7 and 2 x AIM-9. Painted them according to Tamiya's instructions, white body and XF-19 Sky grey for the head (for the sparrows and phoenixes) and gun metal for the sidewinders. Upon unmasking them, I got very confused. Missiles look VERY WEIRD! 

I've seen this photo:

spacer.png

and it seems to me that both the Phoenixes and the sidewinders are white, even the heads.

Should I trust the photo and paint even the heads white, or Tamiya? And what about the sparrows? Any thoughts on that?

Edited by nasosrr

Very nice!

Missiles :

i'd go with your photos....

:

but afaik Sidewinders: you need earlier models like P/ N... differnt looks and white seeker head instead of the gun metal L/M type. 

live Aim-54 should have a white/ off white head...

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Very nice!

Missiles :

i'd go with your photos....

:

but afaik Sidewinders: you need earlier models like P/ N... differnt looks and white seeker head instead of the gun metal L/M type. 

live Aim-54 should have a white/ off white head...

Thanks man, I appreciate your taking the time to answer.

I noticed the different fins on the missile of the photo. Problem is where does one find AIM-9P/N these days? Checked on hannants and he doesn't seem to have anything.

Any suggestions? 

16 hours ago, nasosrr said:

Good morning lads and lassies. Hope you're all doing very well.

A strange question to you, especially the tomcat enthusiasts with foreign language skills and particularly Farsi.

Would anyone happen to know what text is written on the Iranian Remove Before Flight tags used in the tomcat? Is it in English or Farsi? And if it's the latter, any idea where I can find the text to copy and paste it? I googled it, but didn't find anything. :(

I'm making my own RBF tags and if I have the opportunity to get this one right, then why not? Otherwise I'm using plain ones with text in English.

Thank you in advance. Have a lovely Sunday. 

Hello,

From this pic taken in november 2018 it looks like all the stencils are the original ones; the RBF are in English too

50055954606_3a8d22a89f_z.jpg20181126_140255

HTH

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, MarcB said:

Hello,

From this pic taken in november 2018 it looks like all the stencils are the original ones; the RBF are in English too

50055954606_3a8d22a89f_z.jpg20181126_140255

HTH

Thanks mate. That clears things up a lot. Cool photo by the way. Have you seen these birds up close?

@exdraken

I found out that Meng has issued a weapons set (SPS-043) which includes 4 AIM-9Ps. Costs 20 £ though, so I'll think about it a bit more. I guess it can be helpful for my SAAB Draken as well, since this is also missing 2 missiles. We'll see. :)

Thanks again for the info. 

• Like 2

Sorry, I had no time during the day...

Yes Meng is an option, the AFV F-5 another and I there is also a Hasegawa weapons set C. Whatever suits you best!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

Sorry, I had no time during the day...

Yes Meng is an option, the AFV F-5 another and I there is also a Hasegawa weapons set C. Whatever suits you best!

Cheers mate, you absolutely, totally don't need to apologise for something like that. It's not like you're required to answer to me. I appreciate that you take time to reply, no matter how fast.

I went for the Meng set. AFV's F-1 is insanely expensive and Hasegawa's weapons set is.... well, it's Hasegawa, and I'm not doing them the favour of purchasing their weapon sets, considering that they never offer ordnance in their kits. For me this is disrespectful towards their customers.

Meng's set will suit me perfectly, because I can use some of the other weapons to arm two SAAB J35 Draken that I have (one is built 👈 and the other is in its box). Here's a teaser: img_1168.jpg

And because I'm a sucker, I ordered a Su-25 as well. ☺️

Thanks again for all your answers.

• Like 1

MENG is a good choice for sure!

regarding the Draken, a very nice one you have!

please only put the Sidewinders on the shoulder pylons on this model! Sweden used several Rb/ Aim marks, not fully sure which ones could apply for this scheme, definitely later ones! ;)  

looking forward to the Frogfoot as well :) 

any progress on your fantastic looking Fitter by the way? https://nasosmodellingcorner.wordpress.com/2019/09/12/sukhoi-su-17-m4-fitter-k-kitty-hawk-1-48/

23 minutes ago, MarcB said:

Yes

50059171353_9d24b59e64_o.jpgIMG_7591

Wow, this is amazing. I'm so jealous. 

I find, by the way, that this camo fits the tomcat amazingly. I might build another one. I should probably try to exchange my D with a new A and paint it in this scheme. :)

22 minutes ago, exdraken said:

MENG is a good choice for sure!

regarding the Draken, a very nice one you have!

please only put the Sidewinders on the shoulder pylons on this model! Sweden used several Rb/ Aim marks, not fully sure which ones could apply for this scheme, definitely later ones! ;)  

looking forward to the Frogfoot as well :) 

any progress on your fantastic looking Fitter by the way? https://nasosmodellingcorner.wordpress.com/2019/09/12/sukhoi-su-17-m4-fitter-k-kitty-hawk-1-48/

Yeap. I was planning on doing some research on the topic, I know there are some Swedish sites with very much information (maybe too much for me, I rarely have the patience to read through everything). I did a bit of googling before I placed the order and I found this page:

https://sv.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-9_Sidewinder

I'm linking the Swedish version because there is some info specifically about the use of the missile in Sweden. So, according to this:

VarianterRedigera

Rb 24B är den första produktionsvarianten AIM-9B och började tillföras det svenska flygvapnet 1960.[3]

Rb 24J är i stort sett exportvarianten AIM-9P-3 och började tillföras det svenska flygvapnet 1977. Skillnaden mellan AIM-9P-3 och Rb 24J var ett laserzonrör utvecklat i Sverige.

Rb 74 är den betydligt mer kapabla AIM-9L som började tillföras det svenska flygvapnet 1986.

Flygplanstyper i svenska flygvapnet som använde eller använder SidewinderRedigera

J 29 F: Rb 24B

J 32B: Rb 24B,

J 35: Rb 24B, Rb 24J

AJ 37, SH 37, SF 37: Rb 24B, Rb 24J

JA 37: Rb 24J, Rb 74

JAS 39: Rb 24J, Rb 74

The Draken used only the Rb24B and J, which correspond to Bravo and Pappa-3, with the only difference between the P-3 and the Rb24J is that the latter's proximity fuze was developed in Sweden.

But the Draken was also equipped with the AIM-4 Falcon, which also exists in Meng's kit. So, I'm going to have a party with lots of colourful missiles. :D

Now, regarding the Fitter... it ended up in the trash. Not one of my proudest moments, I had used a stupid gloss varnish that refused to cure and when I touched it 2 or 3 days after I sprayed it and it was still sticky, I grabbed a hammer and smashed it into pieces.

img_20190920_185804.jpg

A few days later I opened the box and realised that the varnish actually had cured. But it was already too late, obviously. 

Like I said, not one of my proudest moments... I might buy the kit again and rebuild it some day...

I hope you don't judge me from this incident. I usually have better control over my temper.

• Sad 3

Poor Fitter! It really looked nice!! Now it looks more like most real ones out there :(

better to loose one's temper on a kit I'd say.... 

Thanks for the Robot update!! 

• Haha 1

Good evening, dear Sirs. :)

I hope everything is great and that you're having a lovely Friday night.

I was planning on showing you the model when it was ready, but since I f......ed up again, I thought I should probably share this with you. :)

So, I was looking at some YouTube films earlier today and got inspired by a really nice build of another Tomcat and thought.... well, why not? I can surely try this. Haha. That should certainly count as "famous last words"... :P

It all started like this:

IMG-20200703-210739.jpg

Promising, no? :)

Then it turned out that the lead on my pencil was way too soft (4B).

But that wasn't the worst thing that happened tonight. Don't ask me how, because I still don't know what happened, but I actually managed to drop the model from my desk. Yes, that's right. I'm THAT clumsy!!! I dropped the model!!!

IMG-20200703-214830.jpg
IMG-20200703-214845.jpg

I obviously panicked! There's nothing more I can do about the vertical stabiliser, it will remain like this, to remind me how STUPID I can be sometimes. 

But the little nozzle at the back (I think it's used to empty the fuel in case of emergency? ) was something that I actually could fix. So I took the dremel and cleared the damaged area:

IMG-20200703-220202.jpg

and using an ear-bud, I replaced the nozzle:

IMG-20200703-220955.jpg

IMG-20200703-225749.jpg

It's a bit longer than it should be, but it will have to do.

And this is what the model looks like now:

IMG-20200703-225712.jpg

I've also painted some missiles:

IMG-20200703-225256.jpg

And I am waiting for the two Sidewinders, they are travelling from England right now (the Meng-set).

Once again, thank you all for looking.

Take care of yourselves, keep yourselves and your families safe and healthy and your models steady on your desks. :)

/Nasos

Edited by nasosrr
  • Like 3

Oh, to be able to build and paint that way. You have more stencils on your weapons (I say that in utter admiration) than I put on an entire model. Absolutely wonderful work.

On 6/4/2020 at 11:10 PM, nasosrr said:

@bushande

Hello Alex and thank you for your encouragement.

Very beautiful pictures, you've a lucky man for having seen this beauty live. :) Looking at your pictures I can't help thinking that she'd look amazing in the Aegean blue, flying over the Greek islands...

This grey-blue camo scheme is really lovely. I definitely need to consider building one of these too.

Would you happen to know if the same situation with the colours is the case with the standard Asia Minor camouflage scheme?

Thanks again! :)

Hello Nasos,

please excuse my late reply. Life has it, that I am sadly only able to look inti the forum every few weeks, please excuse. Your work is exemplary and I applaud your effort. She looks breathtaking. There really is no need to chastice yourself. You are doing great and she will be a real stunner in the end. To answer your question. I would personally believe that the issue with the color differences would be the same regarding the old Asia minor scheme. Yes, that color scheme was the one they were delivered with so the chances are very good that at that point the colors were fairly standardized among all the birds. But I would bet that was only the case during the early years under the Shah regime when the fleet was marked as IIAF birds. You are doing 3-6079 in IRIAF markings, i.e. after the fall of the Shah and most presumably some time during the 1st Gulf war between 1980 and 1988. The Persian F-14s were the backbone of the air defence against Iraqi attacks along the border and had to be maintained under pretty tight operational constraints i.e., doing touch ups and showing color differences would seem very realistic.

The images you mentioned of the worn F-14 in the old camo are most likely of 3-6039 when it was taken out of storage and flown to Merhabat for overhaul in 2017. 3-6039 seems to be the last of so far two F-14s in the old Asia minor scheme (if there aren't any other airframes left somewhere hidden in storage??? Who knows). 3-6049 and 3-6045 are the two birds that are known to carry the modern splinter camo in Asia minor colors and are at least claimed to be examples of the Babee-upgraded F-14AM fleet. There are very differing claims floating around on the number of modernized F-14s ranging from 3-6049 being the only example mainly for propaganda purposes up to claims stating there would be up to 15 birds by now having undergone the upgrade program. No one knows for sure I guess. Once they manage to get 3-6039 out of overhaul most would pressume she will receive the current blue/grey tactical paint scheme or maybe if the aviation fan world is lucky will become another splinter camoed bird. That remains to be seen. 6039 is one of the more illustrious airframes with quite some proclaimed records in shooting down several Iraqi aircraft during the war if I am not mistaken. I think these images you have found of her are a good example of how the Fleet would have looked liked during and short after the war before they received the new paint scheme in the nineties and prior to the regime's undertakings to restore the fleet beginning in the early 2000s. There is apparently another F-14 at Merhabat slated for overhaul/upgrade for quite some time now that wore the old camo scheme when it was delivered out of storage. We tried to get access to "the other side of the runway" and get a climpse of her when I visited the place but sadly were denied any access. Just in early 2019, 3-6002 left the facilities after overhaul with a blue-grey camo after it was delivered about three years earlier with the old sand camo. There are images showing 3-6079 and 3-6001 together in one mage taxiing for take off, i.e. the first and the last F-14 delivered to Iran ... still flying! Considering that 6079 was delivered end of '79 and 6001 was delivered mid '74, these birds are now flying for 50 years and still soldier on despite an 8 year artrition war in between. Quite astounding might I say.

As you show 3-6079 some time between 1980 and -88 you are absolutely free to leave her the lovingly done way you show here now in your photos, i.e. with only minor weathering but you would definitely do nothing wrong if you weathered her very heavily as well just like in those well known images of 3-6039 you have found. 3-6079 has long since received a blue / grey tactical scheme so there are sadly no images of that particular airframe during and short after the war that could be drawn to verify ( I know there are only images of her wearing the old colors from just after the fall of the Shah when the colors were still bright), but you would go no wrong to weather her heavily with many touch ups and color differences or just leave her the way she is right now.

Regarding stenciling: I sadly can only provide close ups of the blue birds and they are literally littered with mind you ENGLISH!!! stenciling and I would bet that that is an exact carry over from the old camo scheme according to the books. It might be hard to see on those smaller images but every panel has it's own number. I dread the thought of having to do that on the model. It reminds me a lot of those Vietnam war era Phantoms. I would say it is save to say that the old Asia minor schme birds were just the same.

If you ever do a blue one (I would recommend 3-6079 again maybe to show how time has marched on?) I could provide a walkaround if member MarcB isn't quicker (awesome shot Marc!).

Regarding armament: Despite many quite often ill-informed and mal researched comments, Iran received a full compliment of the Tomcat's air-to-air armament of that time, namely AIM-54A (white with of white war head) and external cooling, AIM-7E (white) and AIM-9P (white with square fins). So you are free to do a traditional F-14A loadout the way you are up to. Many US sources and among them former USN and Grumman technicians claim to have done damage to the Phoenix compliment but according to other sources, among them from !srael! they only managed to have done permanent damage to merely 16 missiles out of several hundred. During the infamous Iran contra affair in the eighties and yet again in the early nineties Iran apparently managed to gain several hundred more AIM-54A missiles and thermal batteries according to Irans claims and at least partly confirmed by disclosed papers from the Reagan library regarding the Iran contra case. There are some low res videos circling around showing one of the two splinter camo birds launching what is definitely either a Phoenix-A missile or one of their indigenous Fakkour-90 derivatives. As it is devinitely one of the two splinter camoed units the video must be fairly new at least post 2014. There are several quite young images and smaller videos showing some of their blue birds carrying AIM-54As together with HAWKS and also the one or other image depicting the F-14 carrying the Fakkour-90 derivative. The most visible difference is the broad guidance antenna and the missing fin root on these missiles compared to the AIM-54A. What to make of these images is up to each ones own reckoning. When I was there roughly two years ago we were also able to visit the exhibition halls of the aviation expo at that time and among several engines and engine components there were also many at least to Iranian claims domestically made missile components among them also an indigenous thermal battery compartment so it is not out of the world that Iran still is able to maintain a compliment of working Phoenix missiles to the day. While the Fakkour-90 missile (if it really is produced in series as Iran claims) is supposed to be a replacement for the Phoenix, the HAWK is actually supposed to be a workaround for the AIM-7 which Iran apparently either has problems to maintain or which is largely used up by now. There are some rare current shots of F-14s equipped with AIM-7s but it remains questionable whether these are defunct remains just for show or exaples of what is left of the functional compliment. In either way, as you depict a bird during the eighties, your load out is very fine.

Here or some shots regarding the stenciling which I would also use as a reference for old Asia minor camoflaged units: ... happy modeling. I guess next time I visit the forum she will be done if you keep up the speed of building hehehe.

38967647ev.jpg

38967648bd.jpg

38967649bu.jpg

38967650mx.jpg

38967651bb.jpg

Edited by bushande
  • Like 4

@bushande

Good evening Alex.

Wow, I don't know what to say!!! This is by far the most comprehensive answer I've ever gotten on a forum. And believe me, I've asked a lot of things!!! I really can't thank you enough! I should probably dedicate this build to you, simply because of all the info you just gave me!

Surely my response to your answer can't do it justice, but unless I wasn't worried that I'd be banned from the forum for being annoying, I'd thank you like a 150 times! I'd thank you for your encouraging words, for the valuable information and for the wonderful photos, which, once again, make me extremely jealous!!! :)

I can tell you one thing: The more I look at your photos, the more I want to build another Iranian cat, in this camo scheme. I have Tamiya's -D in my stash, but I am seriously considering finding someone here in the region to exchange it for the -A, buy a set of decals and build it. They would certainly be great together on the shelf, much better than an American and an Iranian would. :)

Thank you sincerely, once again. I am very grateful to you for your contribution to this build and to my future plans! :)

I'll go to the bench now and continue the build, so that you have something to look at next time you log in. :)

Have a nice evening!

Kind regards,

Nasos

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My first Persian cat is completed. Except for one little detail. :)

IMG-20200720-232328.jpg IMG-20200720-233333.jpg IMG-20200720-233405.jpg

Spoiler

AIRES' seats don't fit in the cockpit tub!!! 🤪 Hahahahahaha!

Yeah, I should have thought about it and test-fitted them before I painted them. But what would I have done?

I haven't decided what I will do about it yet, the most likely solution is to let the dremel save the day, which hurts me down inside because these seats are a work of sculpting art. But I have no other solution, they simply won't fit and from the looks of it they are at least 0,5 mm wider.

Anyhow, this is just a teaser. I will take better pictures tomorrow, under daylight, and post a RIF.

A very big THANK YOU to each and everyone of you who contributed with your comments and knowledge to this build. I'll try to mention you all in the RFI-post.

For now, good night. :)

• Like 1

One step before the finish line.

As I wrote before, Aires' seats were a bit too HUGE to fit in the cockpit tube. I literally had to butcher them.

IMG-20200721-174817.jpg IMG-20200721-173534.jpg

If we trust Tamiya to have scaled down the model properly, then I'd say Aires' seats are closer to 1/45 than 1/48.

But they did fit in the end and they look quite nice.

IMG-20200722-125219.jpg IMG-20200722-125120.jpg

Next post about this model will be in the Ready for Inspection section of the forum.

Thank you all.

• Like 3

I believe this is a common problem with Aires, beautifully detailed parts but too big for the kits they are meant for.

AW

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 2:25 PM, nasosrr said:

Another question please, and apologies in advance, in case I am being a bit irritating.

I've painted the weapons. 4 x AIM-54, 2 x AIM-7 and 2 x AIM-9. Painted them according to Tamiya's instructions, white body and XF-19 Sky grey for the head (for the sparrows and phoenixes) and gun metal for the sidewinders. Upon unmasking them, I got very confused. Missiles look VERY WEIRD! 

I've seen this photo:

spacer.png

and it seems to me that both the Phoenixes and the sidewinders are white, even the heads.

Should I trust the photo and paint even the heads white, or Tamiya? And what about the sparrows? Any thoughts on that?

Fyi the Tomcat shown is it what was know as Foxbat chaser load, which was 4 aim9's and 2 aim54's this was the done as a low drag set up with the best chance of achieving an intercept.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nasos,

Well......I can safely say that you are well ahead of me in this 'race' to finish an IRIAF Tomcat !. I am nor sure that I have actually got a lot more done since I last posted on your thread......I have been somewhat distracted with a Zoukei-Mura kit which I intend to complete as an IRIAF F-4D in a very worn Asia Minor scheme......One of the last 'Diesels' as I understand they now call their surviving examples.

Anyway, your build will help with my own, once I have rejuvenated it and notwithstanding that I will be doing the Blue/Grey scheme. The hints and tips from other co-respondents on weathering etc, with your own very candid comments during the build and finish sequences will be an immense help. I look forward to seeing the model in the RFI section in due course.

Well Done, Sir !     

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey nasos, please excuse my once again late reply and many thanks for the kind getback. I am always happy to help out if I can. Your build looks absolutely superb. Congrats to such an exquisite rendition!

I know it is already too late but since you were concerned about the too darkwar head of the AIM-7s, I'm afraid I have to confirm your sentiments. Here are two reference shots of the typical armament, once again I'm afraid I can only provide more detailed images of the blue-grey modern iterations carrying the loadout but I would suspect that no changes have been done to the armament itself though. As you can see, the warhead is rather an off-white than a light grey:

39446449dv.jpg

39446450al.jpg

39446451gu.jpg

But just so you are on the safe side; here are some older press shots of 3-6079 carrying the loadout that you did:

39446469ia.jpg

39446470yn.jpg

3-6079 served as shadow with a standard load for 3-6060 which was one of the project SkyHawk demonstrators.

• Like 1