A Big Tamiya ##finished##

Dansk

She's looking great Paul.

Tamiya really have done a good job on the engineering of this kit haven't they as those wing spars look nice and sturdy and should hold the outer wings in place without any trouble. the masks you have used look to be a very good fit too, which brand are they?

• Like 1

Excellent progress Paul, that thing is a monster!

Thank you so much for the folded spar pics, they are very helpful. I've seen lots of pics of the real thing, but they're incredibly busy, with hinges, wires, hoses and rods everywhere, but this gives a picture of the actual mechanism of the fold itself.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, modelling minion said:

She's looking great Paul.

Tamiya really have done a good job on the engineering of this kit haven't they as those wing spars look nice and sturdy and should hold the outer wings in place without any trouble. the masks you have used look to be a very good fit too, which brand are they?

Thanks craig. They are montex masks, i’ve never used them before but they seem extremely good. In the same set there are masks to create the stars and bars insignia.

7 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Excellent progress Paul, that thing is a monster!

Thank you so much for the folded spar pics, they are very helpful. I've seen lots of pics of the real thing, but they're incredibly busy, with hinges, wires, hoses and rods everywhere, but this gives a picture of the actual mechanism of the fold itself.

You’re welcome. 👍 Looking forward to see your construction 

• Like 2

Thanks Glynn.

Today, when allowed, I’ve been beavering away on the UC. It’s all constructed now and primed together with the gear doors.

I think I’ll use the kit gear as its so good as opposed to spending hours shaving down the AM resin.

And I intend to have her sat on the gear for the rest of the build, seems easiest to manage that way with this weight and scale.

50031101737_d67d1be386_b.jpg

50030843946_caa1a9f5f0_b.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 6

The gear has been painted up since last time, and with a snug dry-fit, she sits nicely. 
Full weathering i’ll leave to the end. Its just had a wash for now.

50038520557_20cb6dcd5d_b.jpg

50038258061_079c344afd_b.jpg

Also this evening i’ve 95% completed the flaps on the big beast, and again with a tight dry-fit, they’re looking corsair-like!

50038258051_3e17176348_b.jpg

50038258126_9bac75bbce_b.jpg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looking good looking real good.. are the landing gear permanently mounted yet ? If yes thats going to be a right pain in the rump to mask around ? 

No the flaps, elevators and gear are all dry fitted. 

• Like 1

Thx Bob. She’s looking more like an aeroplane everyday...

50044028013_799780a9ca_b.jpg

outer flaps next, then i can consider primer

edit: PS that’s an A2 cutting mat! This thing is huge

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 7

On 6/20/2020 at 9:48 PM, Dansk said:

The lego guy is to show the scale of this thing.

50025534246_4e01742099_b.jpg

Gosh I thought that was Enzo for a moment!!! :D

Gosh that's a nice looking model!!! (the plane not Enzo)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Not sure i understand the enzo jokes fellas - Am i too understand that he's really short in real life or something?

Checking my seams before priming here.

p.s. rich if you wanted to do a clipped wing version its easy on the kit as it comes -"clipped" you have to add the rounded ends after.

50046475888_448473cc45_b.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 7

She's come together beautifully Paul I can see a real show stopper on the horizon here,makes my Revell kit positively prehistoric with all that sublime

detailing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys. Today i lightly primed all the upper surfaces and flaps, gear doors etc.

kinda looks like a gee bee when you add masking tape spats 😁

50054147177_775e56df22_b.jpg

after the undersides have been primed im a little in doubt whether to paint metal then hairspray then zc then hairspay then the main colour or to skip zc.
my references are hard to follow.

I’m thinking i might skip the zc and just have bear metal seen where its scratched? What does everyone think?

bighog_I.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 5

On 21/06/2020 at 09:16, Dansk said:

They are montex masks, i’ve never used them

I reckon they can be a lot mor accurate than eduard masks , i have a full set inc markings for a 32nd mk9 spitfire, although i dont have the mk9  kit anymore only a mk1 🙄

• Like 1