A Big Tamiya ##finished##

Dansk

19 hours ago, stevej60 said:

She's come together beautifully Paul I can see a real show stopper on the horizon here,makes my Revell kit positively prehistoric with all that sublime

detailing!

Yours has an advantageĀ Steve, It has you building it šŸ‘

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dansk said:

Iā€™m thinking i might skip the zc and just have bear metal seen where its scratched? What does everyone think?

What! Miss out the ZC!! Entirely up to you mate, my Corsair is the first time that I've used the ZC and I will use it from now on as I really like the effect. I don't use the hairspray though I just gently sand through until I get the result I want.

Primer looks nice and smooth, should make a great base for the paint.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking good so far Dansk... The order id go for is aluminum, seal that then add the hairspray when its dry. Once the hairspray isĀ good and dry Id add the ZCY,Ā wait 20-30 minutes to begin working it.Ā Once you're happy let it cure then seal to protect it. Repeat the process for the upper surface color. However I may just try Craigā€™s method next time to see if its any easier ?Ā 
Ā 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, John Masters said:

These big kits are amazing. Ā It looks so real! Ā Your building is excellent.

Youā€™re too kind john,Ā its the kit not me :)

Ā 

after priming the undersides this evening iā€™ve been building a submarine

Ā 

50055224966_5715290015_b.jpg

Ā 

(aka a drop tank) šŸ˜Š

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

What! Miss out the ZC!! Entirely up to you mate, my Corsair is the first time that I've used the ZC and I will use it from now on as I really like the effect. I don't use the hairspray though I just gently sand through until I get the result I want.

Primer looks nice and smooth, should make a great base for the paint.

Ā 

31 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looking good so far Dansk... The order id go for is aluminum, seal that then add the hairspray when its dry. Once the hairspray isĀ good and dry Id add the ZCY,Ā wait 20-30 minutes to begin working it.Ā Once you're happy let it cure then seal to protect it. Repeat the process for the upper surface color. However I may just try Craigā€™s method next time to see if its any easier ?Ā 
Ā 

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, Craig.Ā 
Iā€™m aĀ bit scared of the sanding technique although craig makes it look easy

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1

I do indeed use very fine sanding pads. I start with a multi grade nail polishing stick and only use the last 3 stages, I also then use a new product to me recommended to me by a friend which is by 3M and it's called microfine, it has a slightly rough side which is great for doing this kind of work and a spongy side which polishes paint work up a treat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's looking great in primer Paul - and it's true about the masking tape 'spats', it would have been a fearsome 30's style racer.

Most of the colour pics I've seen on chipping on Corsairs includes bare metal as well as YZC, but just metal would look realistic I think.

• Like 1

ok chaps going all in with the bare metal and YZC.

Ā 

Ā 

After covering Ā¾ of the airframe (the bits Iā€™ll chip) in ak xtreme matt aluminiumĀ 

I covered her in a few light coats of cheap hairspray

Ā 

50058687928_b5cbf68596_b.jpg

Ā 

She then got a light coat of YZC all overā€¦

Ā 

50059495742_46696f67d5_b.jpg

Ā 

ā€¦which was then stippled away with a small coarse brush to a variety of degrees of success

Ā 

50059253361_53bb363c2d_h.jpg

Ā 

50058682508_9e2b6e6ec4_h.jpg

Ā 

I think it came out okayish so far

Maybe thicker paint would chip better though.

Gonna seal all this next with a light clear coat.

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 11

Ā That Looks great paul šŸ‘ , wish you'd have gone first, i could have followed your lead, i should have sealed my silver and chromate before the top colour as i had some uncontrollable large chipsĀ 

• Like 1

Thanks Fellas.

Can anyone help me with the next round? as i'm in doubt what to do -

Ā 

I dont want to do just a flat colour on top of this and chip it away.

Ā 

i want to give the paint depth maybe even with pre-shading and different layers of colour.

so if i spray hairspray (after this sealing coat), can i paint for example 3Ā layers of paint on top of that over the comingĀ days and still chip it back to the silver and YZC? (or will multiple layers prevent it?)

Ā 

Glynn @HewyĀ did you do multiple paint layers?

Ā 

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Dansk said:

Glynn @HewyĀ did you do multiple paint layers?

Yes paul, very thin,Ā  though ,i hairsprayed through the air brush ,thenĀ  base colour and then variousĀ  lighter shades of that colour , and a few blobs after with the original shade ,Ā  then brushed water and stippled with a brush, be carfull here though, too wet and it comes off big time,,i mixed isopropyl with tamiya paints for this Ā paul, not my prefered laquer thinners, hurry upšŸ˜‹

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ended up spraying many layers of progressively faded paint just like normal and then did the chipping. I think the process works by the water dissolving the hairspray, so the top layers 'blend' as usual and then all slough off together when the hairspray underneath gives way.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dansk said:

i want to give the paint depth maybe even with pre-shading and different layers of colour.

so if i spray hairspray (after this sealing coat), can i paint for example 3Ā layers of paint on top of that over the comingĀ days and still chip it back to the silver and YZC? (or will multiple layers prevent it?)

Quick answer is yes but it depends on your paint of choice ? Acrylics can be chipped until theyre permanently sealed. Lacquers like gunze and Tamiya for a day or two but may require extra effort and possibly a diluted bit of thinner 4-1 or 5-1 ratio with water maybeĀ to start the process if they're stubborn. Enamels must be done pretty quickly within an hour or two at most, thoughĀ better if less than an hour.Ā 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the good advice guys.

iā€™ve given it a couple of coats of hairspray this eve and will start on the painting process with tamiya acrylics next. Exciting!

• Like 4