A Big Tamiya ##finished##

Dansk

10 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Oh well, It's your build and you have to be happy with it :wink:

couldn't live with it sorry mate. when I build this kit again (which I will) I'll build the actuators again with more discretion 🧐

• Like 2

Wasn't sure whether to "like" the above or give the "sad" face!

Really sorry that you weren't happy with your scratchbuild efforts, I think we all were, but its your model and if you're happier with hos she looks now then that is the most important thing, it is your model after all! I look forward to your next update.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2020 at 11:31 AM, Dansk said:

49995137488_f8b5a5e597_b.jpg

Yes, look at this unrealistic monstrosity! Oh, that's the real one? It looks just like your 1/32 scale version Paul, excellent scratch work in my opinion. Either way, cowl flaps open or closed, this is shaping up to be a special build.

• Like 2

what a shame about the cow; flaps...i actually didn't think they looked to bad at all.

I did the same on a 1/48th one I built (Tamiya) but used resin replacements for the front and rear of the cowl from Vector Resin.

DSCF3046-M.jpg

DSCF3070-M.jpg

All those wee bits in the cowls are seperate bits too!

.......oh look, they even do a set for your beast as well!!!  :D

https://www.neomega-resin.com/132nd-f4u-1-corsair-cowl-and-engine-upgrade-for-tamiya-642-p.asp

Really nice work on this build though!! :worthy:  I would love to do a "Clipped wing" FAA Mk.II version in this scale!

• Like 4

Mmm they are nicely done.

I also found while looking up this stuff a build/conversion someone did to this model to make a FAA Corsair Mk.II, including detailed drawings of the 2 types of "clipped wingtips" they had. Have filed all that away....guess I'm now on the hunt for a cheap 1/32nd Tamiya Corsair! :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

The rear gearleg is complete. A little work-of-art on it’s own.

50006651087_3abf1cf8f5_b.jpg

So thats been primed as well as it’s accompanying wheel.

The eduard main wheels are gorgeous.

50006348681_45c07298fd_b.jpg

I’ve been working on cutting the ‘holes’ from the ‘facias’ still a little work to do on those theyre a touch rough. 

50006651247_c3375ddd4d_b.jpg

Also i don’t know why they cant just chop that huge block of resin off the bottom of the brake housings / inner wheel and make our lives easier. I can never get it straight and it takes ages, with that nasty resin dust being created to boot.

Oil coolers have been made and primed too as well as a few other bits and pieces.

50006395321_8967b36e34_b.jpg

This kit will take a while as there are so many subassemblies all requiring different paint callouts so it’s stop-and-go a lot of the time. Oil cooler and its surroundings have 3 colours alone.

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 8

Thank you for posting this Paul. I have a 1/72 Tamiya Corsair project where I need to fold the right wing, and this pic gives a good idea of the internals I need to replicate - well give a reasonable impression of anyway.

Also, it looks really cool.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Thank you for posting this Paul. I have a 1/72 Tamiya Corsair project where I need to fold the right wing, and this pic gives a good idea of the internals I need to replicate - well give a reasonable impression of anyway.

Also, it looks really cool.

If you need more parts photographed for that just ask. Im having the wings straight but there are parts to have them folded too.

Edited by Dansk
  • Thanks 1

Beautifully done so far paul, this is something that makes me want to do only 1or 2 models for the whole year,

I hope the build doesn't stall due to you changing your mind on the cowl flaps

• Like 2

Thanks Glynn. I’m still at it, its just everything takes such a long time on it. Its huge and hugely complex. 🤪
My next update will show the main wing spar, inner main wings and fuselage all joined up together and the tail gear is all installed too.

I’ve decided to change the scheme to a Jolly Rogers ‘big hog’ option in the box. As fitting my ‘360degree’ cowl is right for that aircraft.

So I’m joing @Enzo Matrix in the jolly rogers camp.

spacer.png

• Like 6

On 6/16/2020 at 12:23 PM, Dansk said:

If you need more parts photographed for that just ask. Im having the wings straight but there are parts to have them folded too.

Thank you Paul. If you don't mind posting a pic of the 'folded' spar part with your next update, I'd really appreciate it.

Keep up the great work.

12 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Thank you Paul. If you don't mind posting a pic of the 'folded' spar part with your next update, I'd really appreciate it.

Keep up the great work.

No problem. Here ya go...

50024991488_57b926029f_b.jpg

50025794117_493365b48b_b.jpg

50025794122_5f65376a49_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here’s where I’m at with the big Corsair.

Theres a lot of work gone into it but not much to show.

This is a dry fit of the wings to fuselage. I’ll cement after this post.

Theres a few bits of clean up to make but generally the kit is superb. Any non fit issues are my fault.

The lego guy is to show the scale of this thing.

50025534246_4e01742099_b.jpg

50024991498_223413b784_b.jpg

50024991513_90becfd35c_b.jpg

50025534291_19dbd59911_b.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 7