A Big Tamiya ##finished##

Dansk

11 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

This is a very enjoyable thread Paul - looking for the popcorn emoji - 🍿. Ah, that'll do.

Wonderful detail - what is your secret to the exhaust painting?

Thx cookie, its really easy just rust coloured primer by vallejo and black soot powder 

7 hours ago, CliffB said:

Excellent work Paul and I'm guessing that these early stages are likely to be the most time consuming (keeping one eye on the GB deadline).

Cheers

I think im on stage 25 of 125 but some stages are not needed (depending upon ones folded/unfolded wing choice) ... and i’m slow too :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After doing 18 ht Leads i thought they looked too thick, so i’ve pulled them all off and started with thinner copper coloured wiring now.

am i going to do all 36 lines. I dont know. I may do just one wire per cylinder (18)

49985488396_40dfc3d781_b.jpg

• Like 7

17 hours ago, modelling minion said:

That looks pretty damn good to me Paul.

Thanks mate 👍

well i’ve got to a point where i’m happy with the engine wiring. Its not all of them (the rear cylinders should have an extra one each, but it wont really be seen. The same mostly goes for the wiring on and near the cylinder housing head when i dry fit the cowl.

anyway, well its the best i could do but not a patch on Bobs @moaning dolphin

49988120136_863be22438_b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Thanks so much guys 👍🙏

can anyone help me out with this query. On an f4u-1a

the inner front cowl is painted the underside colour (insignia white here)

but then rearwards does it go into zinc chromate like the shot here...

spacer.png

And  what colour is the inside of the cooling flaps?
i cant tell from references... is it zinc chromate too on f4u-1a’s?

spacer.png

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dansk said:

can anyone help me out with this query. On an f4u-1a

the inner front cowl is painted the underside colour (insignia white here)

but then rearwards does it go into zinc chromate like the shot here...

Your answer lies within Padawan... https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/interior-colours-of-us-aircraft-1941-45-part-iii/

Down page to the Vought entry you must scroll.  He says in his best Yoda voice. 

• Haha 3

Thanks for the help guys. 

Ipms stockholm doesnt refer to cooling fan inner colour but this ref on this corsair suggests yellow zc so i’ve gone with that.

49995137488_f8b5a5e597_b.jpg

Also i’ve made a contraption that tries amateurishly to resemble the inside of those open cooling cowl flaps from old plastic bits and some lead wire. Tamiya leave the open cowls blank but they are quite visible. 

Raw:

49995137538_f6fa4e26df_b.jpg

Painted:

49995656351_17847996fb_b.jpg

I still need to weather it - I’ve also started weathering the rear of the engine a touch as its just about visible with the cowls open. More to do on that, wanna make it a bit oiley.

49995912117_a13ef99270_b.jpg

49995656281_255df05f80_b.jpg

Meanwhile back at the ranch... we have horizontal stabilizers which are big!

49996008417_742b582d29_b.jpg

• Like 9

Thank you craig 🙏👍

Gonna stick these here (for my own reference as much as anything)

this is the aircraft I am building...

My theres a lot of weathering... 🤗exciting!

49995342383_7637879fed_b.jpg

49996115427_abfabfb371_c.jpg

49995860721_8001de3179_w.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

The cowl flap ring looks amazing Paul, and so does the engine.

Thx mate 👍

last post for this evenings work 

The engine and cowlings are all mounted, the scratched cabling etc is definately more than a tad overscale but thankfully quite hidden but nicely busies up that area.

49996177566_e67d327929_b.jpg

this thing is big...

49996177651_7598920b5f_b.jpg

my particular aircraft should have the top 3 cowl sections omitted, a little booboo on my behalf.

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Oh yeah i just notice this now Dennis. Cool i didnt know it was called pappy’s bird.

He had no specific name until the famous photo-shoot with #86. Thats when he had “Lucybelle” painted on the panel just forward and below the port front quarter of windscreen. Im just calling it Pappy’s bird as he preferred 883 the oldest least reliable plane in the unit. He was known to always use the least safest plane so no other pilot would. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

he preferred 883 the oldest least reliable plane in the unit. He was known to always use the least safest plane so no other pilot would. 

Awesome. What a great guy, I like him a lot.

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Dansk said:

Also i’ve made a contraption that tries amateurishly to resemble the inside of those open cooling cowl flaps from old plastic bits and some lead wire. Tamiya leave the open cowls blank but they are quite visible. 

Amateurishly???? I think NOT, Paul. Looks superb (as does the rest of the build so far) :clap:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/27/2020 at 7:37 PM, trickyrich said:

These big Tamiya models look so nice I'm so tempted...... either their P-51D/K or Spitfire Mk.VIII.....RAAF versions of course. Maybe Santa will be nice to me this year!

Rich, I'm shocked!  But then, you don't seem to really go for "fall together" builds...  Of course, with these there's a lot of falling involved.

(Edit: for posterity, what I meant was that I was shocked that Rich didn't already have one of these kits.)

Edited by gingerbob
  • Haha 2

I can highly recommend the kit its phenominal. Im definately gonna build another big tamiya in my life.

But - Sorry chaps, i had seconds thoughts with my scratchbuilding, it didnt sit nicely next to tamiyas beautiful work and it was too oversize and annoyed me so off it came.

49998328318_13b50bb5be_b.jpg

So now we are here.. and i’m happier.

49999102597_8a4b862b6e_b.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4