Tiger Hobbies F-5A - what's wrong with the nose / canopy?

WV908

Hi all,

Looking at picking up the Tiger Hobbies 1/48 F-5A and I know there are issues with it but nothing online states explicitly what. 

To me, the nose looks a little odd and the canopy looks squashed. Can anyone who has the kit and / or can compare it to other offerings confirm the canopy issue and state what is wrong with the nose please?

I'd much prefer to get a Kinetic or CA F-5A, but they seem impossible to find

Thanks,

WV908

Edited by WV908

I got 2 copies of the Tiger F-5 for £20 in total. It is a simple kit which goes together quite well but has deep panel lines. All went well for me until I got to put the canopy on and it just looked odd (boxed in the loft at present so can.t be more specific); if you do it with canopy open it’s ok. Decals are good. 

Depends if you want perfection or a straight forward bit of relaxing, non-competition modelling.

Hi Iain,

Thanks :) That's the other problem with it - I can find two copies of the kit but they are both in the region of £20 and the nose bothers me enough to leave it when that is considered. I think I'll hold out for a Kinetic or CA kit.

Cheers,

WV908 

the intakes on the tiger Hobby kit are pants as well, the centre line drop tank is need of a Kinetic replacement, too.

Still, nobody will mistake it for a Sopwith Camel.  My Tiger kit;

DSC05945%202_zpsdla3dzpq.jpg?width=371&h

DSC05937%202_zps1p07jv3r.jpg?width=371&h

Edited by Tony Edmundson
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Sorry to jump in this late if at all, just noticed this post when doing a search.

FWIW, now looking back, I found this kit to be one of the more enjoyable builds I have done recently. Very affordable. I did address a few things, mainly the deep panel lines and guns/cannon ports. 

It looks like an(N)F-5A in my cabinet.

I did not compare it to a drawing in the end, but the plastic in the kit was easy to work with and it sanded very easily (if you were to address shape issues). 

Was looking for the Kinetic F-5, but it was expensive and hard to come by. So I got this one. I used only the generic kit decals, but they were surprisingly good.

(Think it was originally a TAN model kit)

I have seen comments were the kit was described as a caricature of a freedom fighter, but to my eyes it is still acceptable when a few corrections are made here and there.

Just noticed one for £9.99 on an auction site............ (advertised as a Buy it now)

Rgds,

Rob

• Thanks 1

Hi @Rob K.

Thanks for the links :) About a week after the last post on this thread I managed to pick up a Kinetic F.5A for £20 which I was pretty pleased with. Despite the good price, imagine my dismay when after searching for one of these kits for so long Kinetic goes and announces a rebox... With Spanish decals too!

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 1