A Speedy Soviet - The SB 2M-100A

I hope all the BMer's out there are safe and well and getting in plenty of bench time with the current situation we're in.  Despite the fact that I seem to be spending plenty of time at the bench, it's been ages since I've managed to get anything posted to the site - just don't seem to be gettting anything across the finish line.  Then just like buses, 2 have come along at once.  First up is the ICM 1/72 SB 2M-100A which this thread focuses on and then secondly is the Airfix Mk1 Hawker Hurricane (which will be in a separate thread).

The ICM SB 2M has been a kit of two halves for me.  In the main it's been a fantastic kit with some fantastic details and generally the fit etc has been very good with some parts being even better than good.  However, on the flip side, there are some elements where the fit has been poor and has required a fair amount of fettling.  The clear parts are only ok and the undercarriage is extremely delicate for the amount of weight sitting on top of it so stealth is required to ensure this stays in place.  All in all I've really enjoyed this kit which seemed to be proven by the fact it never warranted even a short stint on the SofD as I never lost interest.

Built predominantly OOB with the addition of seat belts and wires for the tail surfaces, it was painted using Vallejo Model Air colours with the addition of weathering in the form of a pin wash and various pigments just to help give it a more war weary and worn in look.

As always I seem to have gone a bit overboard with the photos - hope you enjoy and as always your feedback is always appreciated as it's great to learn from each other.  Hopefully see you over in my Hurricane thread too.

Kris

DSC00562

DSC00565

DSC00566

DSC00567

DSC00568

DSC00571

DSC00572

DSC00573

DSC00574

DSC00576

DSC00577

DSC00578

DSC00579

DSC00581

DSC00583

DSC00584

DSC00585

DSC00587

DSC00588

• Like 20

3 minutes ago, Harold55 said:

I love it!  Beautifully done with great weathering and a subject we don't often see.

Thanks for your comments Harold - much appreciated.  I agree, these are not often seen in modelling forums and WW2 soviet aircraft generally which is why I like to do something a bit different every now and then :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Hi Kris,

a very nice SB you are presenting here, really sleek looking machine and the weathering looks exactly right :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, planecrazee said:

Despite the fact that I seem to be spending plenty of time at the bench, it's been ages since I've managed to get anything posted to the site - just don't seem to be gettting anything across the finish line.

Haha, I can really relate to that. It's years since I 've finished anything and my shelf of half built kits is larger than I would ever admit. Since I'm still working full time there is no improvement on that front so I'm left to comment on other's splendid builds from time to time.

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1

Niiiice! Very well built and painted, and the weathering is on point. I've made a couple of ICM kits and enjoyed  both of them, maybe I should have a go at this one some time.

5 hours ago, Val_Ukraine said:

I've assembled such kit a while ago. And I can congratulate you as it is not a piece of cake. Very nice work! :thumbsup:

Thanks Val - as you say definitely not the easiest kit but enjoyable nonetheless 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi Kris,

a very nice SB you are presenting here, really sleek looking machine and the weathering looks exactly right :thumbsup:

Haha, I can really relate to that. It's years since I 've finished anything and my shelf of half built kits is larger than I would ever admit. Since I'm still working full time there is no improvement on that front so I'm left to comment on other's splendid builds from time to time.

Cheers

Markus

Thanks very much Markus - really appreciated. I can sympathise - I'm still working full time too so not getting as much bench time as others either - explains why I struggle to get things over the finish line 😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aces High said:

Niiiice! Very well built and painted, and the weathering is on point. I've made a couple of ICM kits and enjoyed  both of them, maybe I should have a go at this one some time.

Thanks again Aces. I'd definitely recommend the kit - sometimes it's nice to have a kit that does need a bit of work - gives us modellers a challenge