Frank Howell's Spitfire

LIZARD87

Hello Everyone

I am hoping that some Spitfire experts can lend a hand to a newbie.

My son has bought me an Airfix 1/24 Spitfire and I was hoping to build it as the MK I R6691 flown by Flt Lt Frank Howell of 609 Squadron in August 1940. My problem is that I have two apparently contradictory references: one is the Montex decal set which shows an aircraft, based at Warmwell, with a sky coloured nose, four kills, no pilot's headrest, what looks like a fabric covered rudder and what I think is a VHS radio aerial with no wire; the second appears in Osprey's Spitfire Mark I/II Aces 1939-41 showing an aircraft based at Middle Wallop, with a black spinner, no kills, a pilot's headrest, a rudder finished as per the body and an aerial with wire to tail and short one down to fuselage. The mirror arrangement sees to be different as well. I understand that Warmwell was a 'satellite' of Middle Wallop.  I assume there cannot be two distinct aircraft with the same serial number. Can anyone explain the differences or give an indication which is correct? It would also be really useful to know what level of pilot armour would be fitted at this time in this squadron (or any other useful information about Frank's plane!)

As you can tell I am a beginner, so please forgive my naivety...

Thank you for looking at my post and spending time helping me.

Chris

Hello Alex - thanks for your swift response!

Yes, except the decal pack itself shows a sky spinner. Also the pack does not have the yellow circle, which is replaced by '100'. I assume that this refers to 100 kills for the squadron which really makes it post October 1940 (rather than August as the pack claims). Not sure if the mast shown in the photo is the same type as the one in the illustration...

Thanks

Off the top of my head I think the underwing roundel came in during August 1940,the Sky band and spinner in October 1940.The wire antenna would have been fitted to your subject,gen here .The mast remained the same after the change from long wire antenna to VHF antenna,only the attachment point was removed.  I'm not sure about the IFF antenna fit which was a wire from the tips of both tailplanes to a point in the roundel on both fuselage sides.The headrest was deleted from the Mk IX onwards so your machine would have been built with it.

The late Edgar Brooks was very forthcoming on the subject of the Spitfire,some of his output,which you may find useful, has been collated here .

Hope this helps.

Edited by Alex Gordon
Spelling.

If you're modelling a Spitfire from August 1940 then assume both the head armour and seat armour are fitted.  Assume a black spinner and an aerial wire from the mast and no IFF wires. The circular shape on the fuel tank is almost certainly the last digit of a stencilled 100, not depicting the squadron's victories, but denoting 100 octane fuel to be used.  Many 609 Sqn Spitfires had this 100 stencilled on the fuel tank although mainly from late 1939 to spring 1940.  Is there proof that the photo shows R6691?  I'd say both profile pictures have errors.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LIZARD87 said:

Thank you so much for your help everyone...I feel I can continue now with more confidence in my subject (but perhaps not in my skills!)

Skill’s mills... As long as you're happy with it thats all that counts. Never mind what we think, its all about enjoying the build & not trying to please a forum.