1/72 Gun port decals

Parrish

Hello,

Some advice please.

Currently building 4 of the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire series and I am having problems getting the Red Square gun port decals to bend across the front of the wing, any suggestions or ideas welcome, I am using Decal fix but seems the decals are too stiff.

Steve

If you have any Tamiya tape, paint that the right shade of red, cut into small squares and put that on. Or if you have any blank decal sheet, paint that red and use it.

Have you tried a small drop of Klear or some other acrylic floor polish? 

Chris

9 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

If you have any Tamiya tape, paint that the right shade of red, cut into small squares and put that on. Or if you have any blank decal sheet, paint that red and use it.

Have you tried a small drop of Klear or some other acrylic floor polish? 

Chris

Hi Chris, I do have Tamiya tape just looks too thick on 1/72.

ill give the Klear a try tomorrow

Thanks

• Like 1

Yeah, I was just thinking quickly, off the top of my head. Probably something an ol' git like me shouldn't be doing.

Let me know how it goes.

Chris

On 24/05/2020 at 21:58, dogsbody said:

Yeah, I was just thinking quickly, off the top of my head. Probably something an ol' git like me shouldn't be doing.

Let me know how it goes.

Chris

I have masked and painted, lets see how they turn out, im using Brush's but lets ee, i have only my phone camera at the moment, not the best, ill post pictures when i can.

Steve

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The original pre 1940 patches were Linen fuselage fabric glued on with red dope. From about iirc Battle of Britain time (some sources say later in 1941) self adhesive patches like a giant Elastoplast or Band Aid dressing were used. They scale down to 2.8mm in 1/72 scale so I do them 3mm. Dont forget the cartridge and link ejector chutes under the wing they also had red covers and some Desert Air Force fighters used blue patches. 20mm Hispano cannon had a red rubber cap that stretched onto the muzzle like a condom.

49605585506_cd3b9ae40b_c.jpgIMG_20200301_183422969 by Stuart, on Flickr

• Like 1