H&S Ultra - Repair or upgrade?

nick32

I've been using my trusty H&S Ultra now for a while after buying it from the very nice chap at Little Cars at Telford back in 2014. It was my first so its taught me a lot, and at the same time i've probably been a bit ham fisted with it. But it's been fun and i'm improving. 

I'm finding now that i'm starting to struggle with it, i think the nozzle is a bit worn and the trigger assembly feels a bit slack with not much feel. 

I've been looking at the H&S Infinity, what realistically would i notice over the Ultra? Its a fair amount of money but if the gains are there i don't mind shelling out. 

Or should i replace parts on my Ultra or indeed just buy another Ultra? 

i mainly paint 1/48 and 1/32 aircraft, with Tamiya and Ammo Mig paints. 

Thanks for any help/insight/advice!

Nick 

Hi Nick, 

Spares are reasonably priced, so you could just change the 0.2mm needle, nozzle & other little bits that need changing.

And / or get a second brush I'd look at the H&S Silverline 2in1.  Has  a 0.2mm & 0.4mm nozzle, 2ml & 4ml paint cup.  You can add a 0.6mm nozzle set and larger paint cups; 15ml, 50ml  for overall & area coverage of large models. 

Evolution Silverline 2in1

The other option would be to keep the ultra for detail use something like a  sparmax GP-35 or GP-50  for the area work.

These are trigger operated side fed brushes. You pull the trigger back a little to open the air valve, then pull back more for paint.

Great for area work, but has a preset handle so you can get fairly fine spray out of them.  

Sparmax GP-35

Paul

HI,   If it's mainly larger models with details, I would suggest either an H&S Silverline 2in1, has a 2ml  & 5ml paint cup, 0.2 & 0.4mm nozzle set & preset handle.  

You can add a finer 0.15mm needle & nozzle and you can add the micro paint cup for very fine details and/or a 15ml paint cup, or side fed bottle & a 0.6mm nozzle set if you need very large areas if you need really large area coverage.    You could then the Ultra for primers and/or clear coating.  

Evolution Silverline 2in1

Another option would be to buy a general purpose brush for the larger areas & the Ultra fir the smaller work.

Something like the Sparmax GP35 or GP50 ( one has a 0.35mm needle, the other a 0.5mm needle set) would be worth looking at.  These are trigger operated brushes and have side fed removable paint cups, which allows you to see straight down the centre of the brush.  They also have a preset handle at the back to set paint flow. 

Sparmax GP35

Paul

Edited by little-cars

If the trigger assembly is a bit slack, it may help to completely strip down and reassemble, beyond your normal clean up.  If you take the airbrush completely apart then look down the back you will see a little gland with screwdriver slot on it.  There's a little o-ring inside, so undo the gland and clean up, that and a smear of lube on the air valve will get the brush back to smooth operation in my experience with my Ultra.

Helpfully this gland is NOT shown on the instructions exploded-view but is on the online parts diagram!

My Evolution has a similarly unmentioned gland, I only found it as it was a second-hand tired example, so I REALLY inspected it; after a proper clean it was as good as new!

• Like 1