EA-6B Prowler front canopy

James Palmer

I don't think there's an aftermarket replacement so you may need to find an alternative from the spares box.  Depending on the level of detail in the cockpit that you'd be loosing could you fabricate a cover from tissue paper ? 

Edited by Richard E

9 minutes ago, Richard E said:

I don't think there's an aftermarket replacement so you may need to find an alternative from the spares box.  Depending on the level of detail in the cockpit that you'd be loosing could you fabricate a cover from tissue paper ? 

Damn!

How do you fabricate a screen then?

6 minutes ago, James Palmer said:

And then what would you do for the glass - i.e. what do you lay over it, or where you thinking just a solid mass with this lilliput.

Sorry for the cross examination ... lol

No worries @James Palmer 

Once you have made the Miliput shape, cover the whole cockpit with a small piece of tissue paper and seal it with diluted white glue.  Once it has dried you can paint it and add fastenings made from thin tape strips.  Although it's an RAF Typhoon you're aiming for an effect something like this:

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, James Palmer said:

Ah, so it will be white not clear, but at least it will give me something?

I'll give that a try - cheers.

It can be any colour you choose.

White or pale covers may be used as they reflect heat but, equally, they may be a shade of green to provide camouflage.

Alternatively ask in the 'wanted' section if anyone might have spare clear parts from their Matchbox kit, or even another kit that you might be able to adapt to fit.

It's a long shot, but I've been surprised by what I've managed to find this way.

Also, I think it's currently locked due to the virus issue, so may have to wait.

A possible alternative is 'plunge moulding' - you can make a plug outline of the canopy shape and shape a sheet of hot clear plastic over it to create a new 'vacform' canopy.

There are tutorials on how to do this (like this one)

Also a helpful thread in the Modelling Tips section here:

If all else fails and you absolutely, positively must have a replacement...you can pick up an old Matchbox Prowler for about £20 plus postage on eBay... 😉