1/35 Dragon M1A1 SEP

Hi all!

Here is my 1/35 Dragon M1A1 Abrams SEP, built up as an ~early OIF tank.

Although the base kit from Dragon is excellent (and was for many years the best Abrams on the market) I have added a lot of extra details to this build since the tanks used carry so much on them

In no particular order I have added

• Mine plow (from the early Tamiya Abrams)
  • Stowage from Eduard, Real Models, Legends Productions and the kit itself
  • Scratchbuilt tarps, sand bags & straps
  • Bottles from Real Model
  • Spent casings and links from RB models (and someone else who I forget)

It's not representative of a particular tank - rather I used a lot of reference photos of multiple early invasion tanks to build this and all the little details are taken from photos of the real things.

spacer.png

Despite being from a much earlier kit the Tamiya plow is still pretty detailed, and at least at the time I built this it was the best out there.

spacer.png

The rear tow cable is a copper one from Karaya which helped it bend and form more realistically.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

A tank has to have a funny name, right?

spacer.png

Duck tape fixes everything, even in 1/35 world

spacer.png

The crushed bottles are resin pieces from Real Model (I think)

spacer.png

The .50 cal casings are brass items from RB models, and the links are resin items, but I forget who from. The M4s are both from Live Resin

spacer.png

The IFF panel on the front glacis plate is scratchbuilt from plastic card and foil, and was damaged similar to reference photos

spacer.png

"Caution Restricted Head Clearance"

Thanks for looking, comments appreciated. Enjoy the long weekend!

• Like 20

Fantastic mate. I could spend ages looking at it and find another new detail. Everything subtly done from the scuffs, scratches and weathering to the painting of the kit and sundries. Well done.👍

Thanks Stef, John - I really appreciate the comments!

All the added kit was worth it in the end, but it took a really long time to clean them up and then paint and weather them to match the tank - I think the next one will be a nice simple build instead :)

1 hour ago, ivan-o said:

That really is a nice piece of work! 👌

40 minutes ago, DAG058 said:

Nice work and well weathered! 

Cheers gents! I'm really pleased with how this turned out!

3 hours ago, flashlight said:

Fantastic looking tank, very good work!

Have a nice day

Nick

Cheers Nick, thanks for the kind words!

10 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi mate,

You can see the Beast that this vehicle is, with everything added, it increases its appearance, I would love to do one of these one day.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

It also increases it's weight - the turret weighs a fair bit with all that resin stuck to it :)

Give it a go - there's plenty of new Abrams' on the market so no need to go looking for the Dragon ones any more which is good as the Ebay prices were getting pretty damn high!

Cheers

Stunning model and some great photographs. Your extra stowage items are very well done with obviously the most important piece of equipment being the traffic cone! You wouldn't really want to go into battle without one.

23 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

That's a really impressive piece of work! All of the work you put into the additional details has really paid off.

Wayne 

Thanks Wayne! The details took more time than the tank itself but they were worth it.

22 minutes ago, Gordon J said:

Stunning model and some great photographs. Your extra stowage items are very well done with obviously the most important piece of equipment being the traffic cone! You wouldn't really want to go into battle without one.

Cheers Gordon! I'm very pleased with the photos since I tried the photo tent for the first time. Of course the traffic cone is essential, it's the most important piece! :D 

• Like 1