AIRFIX Matador and 5.5 inch Gun

Hi Chaps, 

I think this Group build is a great idea but didn't really think I would have a chance to enter. Nowadays I only build 1/48 but as a kid Airfix series 1 and 2 were order of the day. I didn't build a 1/48 kit until I was in my '30s. So with no 1/72 in my stash there was nothing to build. 

Yesterday my son decided to tidy his room and out came an Airfix Matador,  new in an unopened and undamaged box.

As per most Brimodellers I built all these kits over the years with some bits remaining in the spares box. So here's a shot of the new kit with remains of my first attempt in the foreground. 

20200524_103452

New and unopened. My first one would have come in a blister pack using a fraction of the packaging. 

20200524_103615

Old and new parts

20200524_103817

Shouldn't take too long to build. 

Colin 

• Like 5

Well that was lunch time, now the chassis is on blocks to get the axles square. 

20200524_140749

Most of the rest of the assembly done and ready to paint. 

20200524_161003

Wheels are a bit suspect as the holes are not central nor large enough to take the axles. Should be easy to drill out but should a simple kit like this need the builder to have a 1.5mm drill?

Colin 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Nice start.  I also did one back in the early 70s.  Was probably my first modification as I made an LRDG truck out of it.  Yep, didn't know they didn't use them and didn't really care.  I had a set of machine guns from a Revell 1/131st scale USS Defiance Patrol Boat (they were .50s) so cut a couple of cardboard circles for the ammo drums and mounted them on a landing gear leg in the middle of the bed.  Some tan paint and I was good to go.

I picked up another one of these a couple years ago and am debating trying to build it as it is supposed to be or trying another what if gun truck?

Will be watching your build for inspiration.

• Like 1

Hi philp, nothing too inspirational here, this is pure nostalgia. Painted olive drab with a green tarp and dusted with sand yellow.  Main difference between this and the first build is the airbrush. When I built the first an airbrush was something we read about in American magazines  but I'd never seen one. How times have changed. 

20200525_161029

Colin 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

This bring back so many memories. Had a whole battery of them in a wargames army

Thanks Andy,  Somehow I can believe that! 

Colin 

Gun now completed and I'm pleased to advise that the barrel elevates and the arms swing. Always a good feeling when building these kits. 

Windows added to the cab from a blister pack and white glue,  ready for final assembly tomorrow. 

20200525_210721

Colin 

• Like 5

Model finished now after 5 days of construction. Good fun build and very enjoyable.

Gun moves and all 4 wheels are on the ground at the same time. Something my Dad always checked when I finished a model.

More pictures in the Gallery

20200527_132354

20200527_132331

Thanks for all the comments and to Dansk for the original idea.

Colin

• Like 5

I like it.

Currently building the rerelease of the 25lbdr and Quad kit.  Not their best fitter but it is coming along.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...