Best source for T-6 prop in 172

RidgeRunner

Hi all,

Allied to my last poser, can anyone tell me the best available source for a detailed non-spinner prop for a T-6/Harvard in 1/72. The Heller kit offering is very simple :(.

Thanks a lot,

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Martin,

First off-  in what minor, lesser-known air force's scheme will this one be painted? Secondly, the problem with all of the kits that have the same diameter prop that was fitted to the Texan- like the SOC Seagull and Beech D-17/D-18/C-45/AT-11 and so  on, is that their hubs are simplified and lack the counterweights of the pitch-changing mechanism. Neither  Academy T-6  or Hasegawa SOC props that I pulled from my unbuilt kits have these. I would think, as good a modeler as you are, that you could take a prop that had a decent hub and use some slices of sprue to model the counterweights. See the attached links for close-ups of the pitch-changing assemblies. Maybe @Moa or @John Aero might be able to help you; I'm guessing. Good luck, my friend!

Mike 

http://plasticfantastique.com/walk_arounds/walk-around-the-north-american-t-6-texan-harvard/

https://www.airteamimages.com/north-american-t-6-texan_LN-WNH_-_52209.html

I echo 72modeler's suggestion to contact John Aero.  Back in the day when Aeroclub was at it's peak in LHS's all over, I got several of his T-6 props for the same reason you're looking for them and can attest that they have the hub detail you're looking for.

Scott

• Like 1

Easy, square off the end of the Heller propeller, drrill a rebate then add a hex head nut of your choice (OK, that bit's not so easy), the counterweights are a couple of slivers of circular stock, the arms they sit on a couple of slivers of card, the housings for the bit that holds the blade itself a couple of lengths of heat stretched sprue, cut a slight groove in the cuff, drop the HSS into the grooves and then Robert's your mother's brother!

No problem for a man of your calibre!  See this here picture, it's quite a simple mechanism.

Now come and join this STGB, it's right up your street!

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

Thanks Wez @Wez, Mike @72modeler and Scott @Scott Hemsley. My third learning experience of the day! The building of the hub from scrap isn't what I'd planned! ;). I did ask, I guess ;)

Mike, its the third in my Gabon trio. These wer ex-SAAF Harvards. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

17 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi all,

Allied to my last poser, can anyone tell me the best available source for a detailed non-spinner prop for a T-6/Harvard in 1/72. The Heller kit offering is very simple :(.

Thanks a lot,

Martin

Do you know the type/name/brand of the prop?

Or a photo and diameter in 1/72?

11 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Claudio, it was a Hamilton Standard 9' 6". A great shot in Wez's post above :).

Thank you.

Martin

I can either find one in my spares, adapt one, or make one, it will take an hour, but the issue is the mail delays.

If you don't mind to wait what I think may be two weeks, judging by how postal things are doing right now, then PM me an address.

By the way, I have been tested and do not have the bug.

But they recommended seeing a psychologist.

EDIT: I just found a candidate in my spares for modification, let me know.

56 minutes ago, Moa said:

Not Covid-19,but it's the Styrene Virus I would be worried about, but then again, seeing how prolific a builder you are, I would think you are a  victim, not a carrier! Wouldn't do  much good seeing a pyschologist- all  serious modelers are a few tacos short of a combination plate!l  :giggle:

Mike

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

it's the Styrene Virus

How did you guess that I just started yet another model, a Norduynn Norseman?

It all began when I bought it to get the floats for my next project, another (the 4th, three already posted here at BM) Dragon Rapide, and I got carried away...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moa said:

I can either find one in my spares, adapt one, or make one, it will take an hour, but the issue is the mail delays.

If you don't mind to wait what I think may be two weeks, judging by how postal things are doing right now, then PM me an address.

EDIT: I just found a candidate in my spares for modification, let me know.

Hi Claudio!

When you say adapt or make one what do you mean? I wouldn’t want you to do something that I should do ;). The speed of the mail is not an issue. Dont worry about the testing, I am certified - lunatic! ;). Thank you.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Claudio!

When you say adapt or make one what do you mean? I wouldn’t want you to do something that I should do ;). The speed of the mail is not an issue. Dont worry about the testing, I am certified - lunatic! ;). Thank you.

Martin

I took a leftover prop that had the shape and size, added the nut on the "spinner", the four fasteners at the side of the hub, and the counterbalances.

Will send you photo when I am done to see if you like it.

If you don't, no offense, as I will be using it anyway.

It's not exactly as the one in the photo (which can be done with more time and doing the central section with alu tube of different sizes) but I think will do adequately.

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

When you say adapt or make one what do you mean?

Hi there

Please have a look, if this will do for you, it will be in the mail tomorrow.

If you were looking for a more perfect replica, I understand and there is no harm done, I will keep it for future projects:

IMG_0148+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_0149+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_0150+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

That's a very nicely detailed prop, Claudio! First rate! Counterweight discs made with a punch and die?

Mike

It's underwater cold laser cut, with a palladium-nobelium laser, at 3,054 psi and close to absolute zero, of course.

I still do not have the later model, the unobtainium laser.

(the good ole punchy died!).

Yes.

Edited by Moa
I lied!
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Did you understand one word of that, @Martian? I don't speak Moa, I'm afraid! :giggle:

Mike

Well, its a nice propeller but as to what @Moa is waffling on about, I haven't a clue. In fact I'm not even sure I can identify the language. Unwinese perhaps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RRv35Ig2mg

Confused of Mars 👽

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Moa said:

Hi there

Please have a look, if this will do for you, it will be in the mail tomorrow.

If you were looking for a more perfect replica, I understand and there is no harm done, I will keep it for future projects:

IMG_0148+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_0149+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_0150+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

That’s a beauty, Claudio! Thank you! I fear that my banana-like fingers couldn’t achieve that!

Martin

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I fear that my banana-like fingers couldn’t achieve that!

I'm not sure that's entirely true- I have seen some pretty darned good models with a lot of scratchbuilt details cranked out by those "banana-like" fingers posted on this website! (Besides- I think @Moa has a spider and a three-inch whip he uses to make some of these fiddly parts!) :giggle:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1