A pair of Martlets in 1/72

Completed these two kits last month; Airfix Martlet IV and the Hasegawa Martlet V, when I look at them together I can only think Laurel & Hardy. I like both kits regardless of faults in accuracy. The Hasegawa has a scratch built gear bay since I could not find any Truedetail  resin sets. 

Sooo.... I've just realized that the outboard machine gun ports are on the V which is incorrect, those guns were removed, the access panels aren't on the upper wing nor chutes on the lower. Can't recall if the instructions said fill them in or whether I'd drilled them out by mistake?  Oh well..

spacer.png

spacer.png

Airfix IV

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hasegawa

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Louise
first time adding photos.......and then I noticed a fault!
  • Like 42

Both are incredible. I am beginning to develop an urge to do a Marlet.  Previously I always thought any Wildcat had to be in U.S. markings but the Marlets are starting to appeal to me.

Great result and not that much differet regarding slim/fatty look  as for you, when you worked on them...Do not worry...

Now time for Arma Hobby Wildcat FM-2, pardon Martlet Mk VI, I suppouse? :) It is released already.

Regards

J-W

Thanks for the comments, it's much appreciated.  I've got another two Airfix F4F-4 and their Martlet IV on the workbench plus I'm redoing an AZ model's Martlet III; I totally screwed up the paint scheme, doing her in aluminum (which went down like a dogs dinner) instead of grey.  Waiting patiently for my boxes o Arma FM-2 to wing their way over the pond.

2 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Two great builds, I’ve got both in stock, which one is best ?

Wulfman

Wulfman, to answer your question truthfully, would be to compare apples and oranges.  I enjoyed making both kits; one "simple", the other requiring scratch building stuff.  I decided not to count rivets as that would mean trashing the Airfix for typical Airfix man-vegetables and errors, while Hasegawa produced this kit decades ago so it's just not up to date detail wise or 100% accurate.

Both aren't true replicas OOB.  Both look like Wildcats in model form.  I highly recommend building hundreds of them.