De Havilland D.H.60 Gipsy Moth, double build, 1/72 Avis and Amodel kits

6 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh ceramic wire.  I have not come across that  before   I have heard of it though.

Chris

You call a number in the US, they take your information and they run your CC.

Once they confirm payment they send the goods (coiled 6 mil "wire"), in a rigid envelope.

I have done it about three times, without problems. The last time I got several bags, since it's my to-go material now for most of the rigging.

I have no affiliation with them whatsoever. For me it worked. I do not vouch for anything.

Precision Enterprises.
P.O. Box 97F
Springfield VT. 05156
802-885-3094 after 5:00pm EST

If you are calling from a different time zone, have in account the difference so you call at the hours indicated.

• Like 1

Only just caught up with this build Moa. They Iook  very good. I built the Frog kit as a DH 60M at the end of 1978 (I remember as it was when my first marriage was collapsing). I recall it was fairly accurate, but the wings needed a lot of thinning and the fuselage was turned into a metal framed one. It was a favourite of mine for years until damaged. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Only just caught up with this build Moa. They Iook  very good. I built the Frog kit as a DH 60M at the end of 1978 (I remember as it was when my first marriage was collapsing). I recall it was fairly accurate, but the wings needed a lot of thinning and the fuselage was turned into a metal framed one. It was a favourite of mine for years until damaged. 

Thanks Mr T

Pity yours did not survive. Not many of mine did either. I have been building for decades, but my oldest models is one from the 90s my older son has. Anything previous to that was lost.

I started to build again in the mid 2000s, and so far I have all the ones I decided to keep.

I have very few models left from builds in the late 70s to late 90's for a variety of reasons. I have a photo of the DH60 somewhere, but I would warn you it is an RAF machine. 

On reflection it seems odd that I have a fondness for a model produced on such circumstances (relief at the lucky escape in retrospect). 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Mr T said:

but I would warn you it is an RAF machine.

Let's imagine it, then, shall we? 😉 🙃 I am sure it was a beautiful model, but what about you post the photo on the chat forum as an article on what you have been talking about, our old models, our lost models, nostalgia, and stages in life.

I am sure it would be an interesting conversation.

Cheers

• Like 1

Control cables and props added. A teaser for the post with the completed models.

It's exceptionally hot here now, 96F (36C) degrees. The (black) camera was hot to the touch after 1 minute outside under the sun, and the air quality and visibility is awful due to the wildfires.

May be tomorrow I can do the shooting for the big reveal:

IMG_1912+%25281280x990%2529+%25282%2529.

IMG_1915+%25281280x990%2529-1+%25282%252

IMG_1917+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_1918+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Moa said:

Let's imagine it, then, shall we? 😉 🙃 I am sure it was a beautiful model, but what about you post the photo on the chat forum as an article on what you have been talking about, our old models, our lost models, nostalgia, and stages in life.

I am sure it would be an interesting conversation.

Cheers

That's a very good idea and I may well follow it up. I had no intention of diverting your thread. 

But where's the toilet, or is there only room for a potty? 😉

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mr T said:

That's a very good idea and I may well follow it up. I had no intention of diverting your thread. 

But where's the toilet, or is there only room for a potty? 😉

We shall ask those who flew in it, if they are willing to share the most intimate of intimates of secrets... 💩

But my guess is that many a pilot or passenger needed at some point a change of nappies.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Moa said:

It's exceptionally hot here now, 96F (36C) degrees. 

You should have been up here, on The Backside of Beyond, today. It's been lightly raining since about noon and the temperature got up to a cool 7C ( 45F ). Luckily, the really stiff breeze from yesterday has dropped to almost zero.

Chris

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

You should have been up here, on The Backside of Beyond, today. It's been lightly raining since about noon and the temperature got up to a cool 7C ( 45F ). Luckily, the really stiff breeze from yesterday has dropped to almost zero.

Chris

That may be so, but would you like a bag of beautiful wildfire air? it has a smoky, peaty aftertaste, like good single malt Scotch, and an ashy tang to it.

48 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautiful workmanship as usual!  Thanks for updating us on the Moth's progress!

Thanks!

If atmospheric conditions allow tomorrow, photography.

• Like 1

Hi Moa.

Saw these and thought of you.  These pics I recently scanned from negatives. Though a little late but thought they would add to your thread of a masterful build of one of my many favourite types.

Flo31L.jpg

L68slW.jpg

673QZS.jpg

ELYvRc.jpg

All taken in May 1997 at a PFA ( Popular Flying Association) Fly -In at Middle Wallop that year.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

Hi Moa.

Saw these and thought of you.  These pics I recently scanned from negatives. Though a little late but thought they would add to your thread of a masterful build of one of my many favourite types.

All taken in May 1997 at a PFA ( Popular Flying Association) Fly -In at Middle Wallop that year.

Great photos, thanks for posting them!!

Indeed they complement the build fantastically.

Cheers