De Havilland D.H.60 Gipsy Moth, double build, 1/72 Avis and Amodel kits

The canopy is on. The fit needed a bit of adjusting:

IMG_0530+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The small gap between the fin and stab, as per the original:

IMG_0532+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The exhaust has to be "threaded" through the first inverted V pair of struts:

IMG_0533+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Two very fine wire holders were inserted in drilled holes in the fuselage to support the pipe, as per the original. I had removed the kit's oversized ones that were located on the pipe:

IMG_0536+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 15

Although I laughed, I agree and applaud you.  I think most of us on this side of the Pacific cast our eyes eastward and think “wtf is going on?”

AW

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

I have a Novo Gypsy Moth

What are you waiting for?

It's time for that Moth to emerge from the cocoon!

(As a side note, butterflies emerge from chrysalis, and moths from cocoons)

41 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Seems to be my mantra these days 

We are going to change that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

They do look very beautiful in their colours. Lovely work.

Thanks, Jörgen.

Now the real "fun" begins, adding the struts, the upper wings, and all that rigging wire and control cables, not to mention adding the floats on very feeble and wobbly struts for one of them.

Cheers

• Like 1

I have spent some time doing dry runs of the addition of the upper wing.

The vague nature of the moldings that particularly impacts small parts like the struts regarding length, affects alignment and positioning.

This is aggravated by the flimsy nature of the parts involved (they are closer to scale, which on the other hand is good).

After many trials, I could not commit to glue the upper wing on either of the models. I have built many, many, many biplanes before, but these little fellas are giving me grief.

The cabane struts in my samples are a tad too long, so the external wing struts "float" and can't reach their locations. Trimming back the cabane struts equally and to the proper length is tricky business.

I will give it a rest until tomorrow, but I just wanted to make a note of the things encountered at this stage for those who have the kits.

These kits are in some regards very similar to the New Airfix's DH82, and I know the former are short run while the latter isn't, but the Airfix kit is a much more precise (and therefore more pleasant) affair.

Nothing terrible, mind you, but a note is taken.

Abler hands may not encounter issues at all, though.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Gosh, and I thought that adding the upper wings was tricky.

I just spent a not nice at all time trying to add the floats to G-AAUR.

Same problems for the same reasons. But this was really frustrating. I ended up having to replace a front float strut, and still not nearly there.

Some kits are demanding, challenging, and require skills, and some are just fiddly and tricky. These kits have areas that are just so.

I am already by the sixth or seventh -who knows- Heller D.H.89 Dragon built in my whole life -which is far from being a perfect kit- but one thing is for sure: no more of these DH60s for me after these builds.

(As you can see, I am for dramatic reviews 😉)

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Moa said:

Gosh, and I thought that adding the upper wings was tricky.

I just spent a not nice at all time trying to add the floats to G-AAUR.

Same problems for the same reasons. But this was really frustrating. I ended up having to replace a front float strut, and still not nearly there.

Some kits are demanding, challenging, and require skills, and some are just fiddly and tricky. These kits have areas that are just so.

I am already by the sixth or seventh -who knows- Heller D.H.89 Dragon built in my whole life -which is far from being a perfect kit- but one thing is for sure: no more of these DH60s for me after these builds.

(As you can see, I am for dramatic reviews 😉)

I am always impressed at your skills in making some of these spindly planes square and true! I lost count of the number of attempts I made at installing the upper wing of the biplane I am working on...

• Haha 1

Finally the floats went on, after much struggle.

In the original plane the decalage (angular difference) between thrust line and floats is quite noticeable (this normally facilitates take-off and alighting), but I think the kit got that angle higher than it should be.

In any case, I don't want to risk another nightmarish session of relocating everything, so that's how it's going to be. There are minute misalignments too, that nag me greatly, but I had it with this one.

IMG_0548+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

Both Moths are looking fantastic. I really like the look of the 'floater' but not sure that I like the scheme though.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart.

Yes, as you probably read above somewhere the colors came from the realization, after studying photos and share comments, that the silver-color flying surfaces chosen by the kit makers was unlikely.

If I recall correctly the kit follows a written account, but the account does not match the photos, studying all the available ones.

Since this was a plane that needed to contrast as much as possible against the environment, the chosen colors have to match that requirement.

My choices (deep red and orange) are speculative. It could have been red and yellow too, or other colors. For some the fuselage could have been black, which is another very good option.

The two planes involved in this arctic expedition suffered accidents and were repaired, patched up, possibly some elements exchanged between them, which makes things more complicated regarding assessing the colors, and the colors at a certain time.

As we often have to do with these vintage subjects, some speculation is involved, if we want to build and have a model of the plane. The choices, even when based on whatever may be available regarding written and graphic material and extrapolation (what we usually call "an educated guess"), imply, to a lesser or greater degree, a leap of faith.

And surely a bit of personal bias 😉

• Like 5

Most of the rigging is done. Little benches for the aft part of the floats are fabricated, so the model can stand with some dignity:

IMG_0549+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_0549b+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I have to wait now a bit for the decals that I just commissioned, and the queue is long, as we know 😉
After decaling is done, it will be then possible to add the many control cables, stab struts and other details. So this one goes into hibernation, and we will continue with G-AANL:

IMG_0550+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Jeddahbill said:

Such a beautiful machine!  Sensei Moa your work is a true inspiration and a real motivation to focus more on the civilian aspects of aviation which has so much to offer!

Respect!

Bill

You are more than kind, Bill.

I am very glad to share with fellow modelers our common interest and appreciation for these not so often seen -yet relevant and beautiful-  types.

Cheers

• Like 3

Beautiful work as usual.

Just a note of the tailplane trim on Moths. There is a small gap between the base of the fin and the top surface of the tailplane. See post 94) This gap does not change in flight as the tailplane incidence is set by the ground engineers, the gap varies by type. See bottom left of the drawing.

Trim is achieved on the elevator by a spring bias on the elevator Bell crank behind the rear pilots seat and is set by the quadrant thingy adjacent to the rear pilots left thigh.

John

Scan020_zpsnxyxz1zg.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1