De Havilland D.H.60 Gipsy Moth, double build, 1/72 Avis and Amodel kits

6 hours ago, John Aero said:

The three props you have are one Cirrus and two Gipsy types. The one with the flat boss and no spinner is for the Cirrus engine (Right hand rotation), the one with the indents is the Left handed Gipsy prop with a fixed laminated wooded spinner in which the bolts are recessed. The third type is a left handed late Gipsy II and III prop with a metal spinner.

G-EBXU (Cirrus III) is quoted in one of my records has having been a seaplane.

John

Thanks, John, useful information as always.

And very important, since the molds may be lacking detail for certain versions.

I am not about to add stringers in such minute airframe, that would have required some scratched parts earlier in the build, and if I add stretched sprue or similar now, I will ruin all the other detail in the subsequent process.

My friend had already decided what he wanted, a restored/rebuilt G-AANL, which has the stringers, although of course they are not, in this scale, a predominant detail. We may proceed as it is.

I have so far not decided what I want. May be using those floats for the Arctic explorer as boxed, may be not.

I have researched those Arctic planes (there was another) long ago, and came to the conclusion that there were some snags. I did not take notes, unfortunately.

In any case, I will take the easiest route regarding these two, since this is, as stated, a "twiddling fingers" build, as I wait for the delayed mail and packages to complete other projects also posted here.

I always appreciate your input and knowledge, and welcome it any time, being enlightening and bonafide.

I will keep it simple, matching photos of desired subjects to what the kit offers in terms of alternate parts, and see how far can we go.

Thanks again for the data

Cheers

To provide prop rotation, the axle is retained by a piece of styrene, thus avoiding the almost universal silly expedient of having to glue the prop at this stage to achieve the same, creating a painting and masking nightmare in the process. How many decades this impractical feature has been carried on?:

IMG_0181+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Nose on, airscoop hollowed:

IMG_0183+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 8

Well, I think it is 2 decades since Hasegawa introduced a small polyethylene collar that fitted inside a cap.  Or maybe someone else did it first, and of some kind of soft but grippy plastic anyway, but the principle is the same.  Plus they came as a set of four, so you could readily build up spares.  The propeller/spinner unit could then be removed when desired to avoid damage.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

I am (seriously) surprised at how small these Moth models are in 1/72.

Not sure if it is because they are "normal" biplanes or what, and that made me think they would be bigger, but it's somehow challenging to work on them.

And I have done small biplanes before!:

29 minutes ago, Moa said:

In an incredible, almost unreal feat of modeling, I glued the lower wings to both fuselages.

I deem these builds 99% complete, the worst is surely over...or is it?

Now there's famous last words if ever I saw them!

Apprehensive of Mars 👽

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, billn53 said:

You’re hardly done yet! Recall you have a penance to do (something about opening up an engine cowl). Here is a little something to help you along:

https://deknomodels.com/en/inicio/43-172-de-havilland-gipsy-major.html

Thanks, Bill!

i wasn't aware of this product.

A bit late now with fuselages closed, though.

cheers

34 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Of that I knew, but not my cuppa.

I would rather have their DH87A Hornet Moth! (ONLY the one with the dragonfly tips)

From Wikipedia

DH87.jpg

• Like 2

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!!!!

Well, I was almost leaning toward the Arctic explorer original boxing for my Moth, but fate intervened...again.

Unfortunately it seems that G-AAUR's registrations were not white, nor was the expedition title on the fuselage.

For you amazement, amusement and perusing, here is a PDF with photos that shows that.

http://www.dhmcc.com/November 2016 Newsletter.pdf

O also got more photos showing a color on those regs and lettering (compared to white or metal objects) further proving my doubts.

So all things being equal, if I can't use the kit's decals, then I rather do whatever other subject, related (G-AAZR, the other Moth in the expedition, of different colors) or not.

There are a couple of images that are "burnt" and seem to show white regs, but better (and more) photos show it may have been not so.

In fact, in some photos the lettering has the same hue of the wings, not looking like aluminium -as the kit would have it, compared with the aluminium or aluminium-painted (white?) floats.

Therefore: Beware, you proud owners of this boxing, things may not be as viewed by Avis in this regard.

Sigh....

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Moa said:

Unfortunately it seems that G-AAUR's registrations were not white, nor was the expedition title on the fuselage.

For you amazement, amusement and perusing, here is a PDF with photos that show that.

http://www.dhmcc.com/November 2016 Newsletter.pdf

Therefore: Beware, you proud owners of this boxing, things may not be as viewed by Avis in this regard.

Arrrggghhh! That would be me. Damn your eyes, Moa. Because of your find (and a very good one it is), this kit has fallen like the stock market toward the bottom of my “what will I build next” list. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Arrrggghhh! That would be me. Damn your eyes, Moa. Because of your find (and a very good one it is), this kit has fallen like the stock market toward the bottom of my “what will I build next” list. 

Do not despair, young master Bill!

I may still commission a decal set for it, or for G-AAZR.

I am trying to come up with plausible colors for those regs (and wings?)

Researching as we speak.

1 hour ago, Moa said:

Do not despair, young master Bill!

I am trying to come up with plausible colors for those regs (and wings?)

Researching as we speak.

Thank you. If you do decide to commission a decal set, I will split the cost with you. 

Also, did you take a good look at those kayaks in the first pic of G-AAUR?  Some very curious design features there.  A circular opening in front, too small for a person; something that looks like a little white sail or flag; and what the heck is that inflated thing in back? Some kind of float made from who knows what part of an animal? This will make a great diorama!

edit...

One question answered: “The kayak is perfect for hunting on the water as it doesn’t make any sound so it’s easy to sneak up from behind your prey, and if you put a white cloth in front, the animals or seals (who are easily fooled) think that you are a piece of ice.”

more edits: I found another, clearer photo of this type of hunting kayak. What looks like an opening in front is actually a platform for the harpoon’s line. And, it appears that the inflated-skin float is attached to that line. Makes sense, as do the white jackets and hats worn by the hunters (looks like ice).

Sorry, Moa, for hijacking your post. My curiosity demands to be satisfied. 

Last edit, I promise! The float is an inflated seal skin.

Everything you might want to know about Inuit hunting kayaks:

https://kayakgreenland1959.wordpress.com/tag/inuit/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moa said:

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!!!!

Love it you are an excellent researcher.

2 hours ago, Moa said:

I will buy this kit and a set of decals would be great.  I have an unhealthy interest in Arctic and and Antarctic aircraft.

We might have to go thirds in the decals

Moa gets my imagination and interest to boiling point.

Edited by StephenCJ
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, StephenCJ said:

Moa gets my imagination and interest to boiling point.

I’ve resorted to covering my head with aluminum foil, else his mind tricks would have me constantly pressing the “Buy Now” button.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, billn53 said:

I’ve resorted to covering my head with aluminum foil, else his mind tricks would have me constantly pressing the “Buy Now” button.

I have trouble with the "buy now" button.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, billn53 said:

I know you're joking but I heard aluminum foil does the opposite namely amplify the 'evil' waves, copper foil would really work tho :)

• Haha 3