De Havilland D.H.60 Gipsy Moth, double build, 1/72 Avis and Amodel kits

41 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I will follow this and glean information on how to drag my FROG Moth into the 21st century, screaming and kicking (the kit, not me!).

Regards,

Adrian

:laugh:

And...err, are you an alchemist?

Transforming such low matter into something valuable may prove challenging!

But you are a man of talent, as you have demonstrated often.

Avanti!

Another issue with the instructions.
They will have you glue the other half of the engine with that flat ridge upwards:

IMG_0117+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_0117b+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Like so (Don't do that):

IMG_0118+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Problem is, if you do that, the fuselage top won't close (the part is not glued in this photo, it's only to show that there is no cutout in the skin of the right top fuselage):

IMG_0118b+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The way to glue the part is all the way around, that flat ridge down, and away from the top:

IMG_0119+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Thus allowing the fuselage to close, and providing a base for those cylinders that closes the space inside:

IMG_0121+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_0122+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

You may have to "help" a bit with the fit thinning that "flute" or air channel:

IMG_0124+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The small and sorta cute chunky representations of the throttle quadrants. I actually used them (they can be seen glued already above in one of the images):
IMG_0124b+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Of course a photo-etched part would be better, but they can't really be seen anyway, and I thought they were charming in their chubbiness.

• Like 9

Hi Moa,

Regarding the missing front control stick, it's very common on these types of planes. The pilot flew from the rear seat while the passenger sat in the front seat near, or at, the centre of gravity. The control stick would be present for training flights. My father had an interesting landing when a nervous passenger freaked out when they hit a little turbulence, and clamped her legs on the control stick. After that, it became regular practice at the flying club to remove the control stick from the passenger area when carrying passengers.

I don't recall where I read this funny one: An instructor would signal his confidence in the student to fly by removing his control stick, showing it to the student and tossing it overboard. A joker student then tapped the instructor on the shoulder, showed him his control stick, gave a thumbs up, and tossed it overboard as well. You can image what went through the instructor's mind! The student had a spare stick, so all was well.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, Wlad said:

I don't recall where I read this funny one: An instructor would signal his confidence in the student to fly by removing his control stick, showing it to the student and tossing it overboard. A joker student then tapped the instructor on the shoulder, showed him his control stick, gave a thumbs up, and tossed it overboard as well. You can image what went through the instructor's mind! The student had a spare stick, so all was well.

I could see myself doing that 😀😀😀.  Poor silly instructor

• Haha 2

Hi all,

I have this kit, the Frog/Novo one as well as an epoxy model. At the moment I really don't know would I select between Amodels/Avis or the resin kit.

Also I don't think the Frog one is not that bad especailly remembering it is 55 years or so old. Simple and heavy wing struts but if my meomory serves it was not that bad dimensionally. Amodel/Avis has much more details but needs also a lot of work on cleaning and still partial re-built of the details. Also they offer plenty of extra bits that can be utilized furnish the Frog veteran closer to modern standards.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,

AaCee

It has been a long day, but there is not much to show at the end of it.

Preparing the floats for the Moth (just in case I want to use them) and a pair of repurposed Norseman floats for a floaty Dragon Rapide. I corrected the shape and am adding the right detail to make them more like the EDO floats they are supposed to represent.

The diorama props are further assembled and enhanced. 

Some detail painting on the fuselages of the Moths and an unrelated prop, and the painted and weathered trolley:

IMG_0163+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 10

Nice to see a couple of Moths on the go albeit 'twiddle finger' jobs. The float version is on my wish list but your Jedi powers have been diluted for the moment.

Nice corrections there, that's what pathfinders are for.

Stuart

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Watching this with interest from afar Moa.

Thanks Colin

A telescope may become handy.

3 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Nice to see a couple of Moths on the go albeit 'twiddle finger' jobs. The float version is on my wish list but your Jedi powers have been diluted for the moment.

Nice corrections there, that's what pathfinders are for.

Stuart

Thanks, Stuart.

I agree, the floaty one looks verrrry nice.

6 hours ago, John Aero said:

A bit too late for comment tonight as I've only just spotted this thread. The rear rudder pedals are  under the front seat.

For now..

John

John!

We were all waiting for you!

Thanks for the information and photo.

Now, John, you have to work a bit on your timing :laugh::

IMG_0173+%25281280x945%2529.jpg

Fuselage halves joined. The fit is not good, as we knew. But it can be worked out with patience and ulterior puttying:

• Like 6

The three props you have are one Cirrus and two Gipsy types. The one with the flat boss and no spinner is for the Cirrus engine (Right hand rotation), the one with the indents is the Left handed Gipsy prop with a fixed laminated wooded spinner in which the bolts are recessed. The third type is a left handed late Gipsy II and III prop with a metal spinner.

G-EBXU (Cirrus III) is quoted in one of my records has having been a seaplane.

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/26/2020 at 1:59 AM, Moa said:

Hey, I keep telling my wife that!

Moa,

You like to live dangerous way? :D

Back to my earlier thought... I digged out my Amodel dH 60X and after looking it there is more than half Moth as spares. As I for some reason donät thing Frog/Novo is total waste combining fuselage, horizontal stabilers and tuned wing roots but little scratch building with Amodel/Avis spares would generate quite nicely another MOth without too much trouble. I have to think...

Cheers,

AaCee

Mr T earlier mentioned variations on the Moth.

The early Cirrus Moth had a less refined engine cowling and the engine was mounted higher in the fuselage. The Cirrus I and II versions had a centre section tank which did not dip below the wing lower surface. The exhaust pipes passed on the outside of the cabane struts (Left side). All these aircraft had the cross axle but some Cirrus II's were fitted with the X (divided type) under-carriage, A less common version was the Armstrong Siddeley five cylinder radial engined Genet Moth.

Most of the Cirrus engines had a Right hand prop rotation

The Cirrus III had better cooling fins and most of these were built as DH 60X with the X under-carriage, The exhaust now passed to the inside of the front cabane strut (left side) and had a more balanced lowered fuel tank Some were produced with the Cirrus Hermes engine, which now exhausted to the right, often with stub exhaust pipes. These had a cowling similar to the Avian IVM.

The major change to the Moth came with the introduction of the DH Gipsy I and II engines (left hand rotation), thus becoming the DH.60G and this bestowed the more well known name of Gipsy Moth. These were built with both the cross axle and the X type under-carriages. The exhaust was on the left and passed behind the first sloping cabane strut. All the foregoing aircraft had the wooden box plywood covered fuselage, except some Cirrus III powered  machines for National Flying Services which were called DH.60X Moths but they had 60M metal fuselages.  American built Moths had metal fuselage frames and used the Wright built Gipsy which rotated opposite to British Gipsy engines. These appear to be known as DH.60GM.

Some aircraft were fitted with the new 'balloon' tyres, the axles legs of which are longer for prop clearance with the new smaller diameter but fatter wheel.

DH developed a metal square tube fuselage to produce a more rugged trainer to be of interest to both to the Military and Civil flyers, this was the DH.60M. An almost identical machine for Overseas Air arms was the  DH.60T. This variant can be identified by the deeper front cockpit doors, the rear flying wires moved forwards to the front spar fixing and a forward and downwards pointing single short exhaust to replace the long exhaust which then allowed cockpit access and exit from both sides. This is the version which led to the Tiger Moth development. All the metal fuselage types have a prominent stringer down each fabric covered fuselage side. They also have stringer and fabric rear top decking. In France Morane also built metal fuselage Moths. 

The last wooden DH.60 Moth version was the DH 60G.III, powered by the inverted Gipsy III, or when fitted with the more powerful Gipsy Major, it became the Moth Major. This version had the the all plywood fuselage, the X under-carriage and the inverted Gipsy engine with the later more familiar Tiger Moth type cowling.

Wing (Handley Page) slats were only fitted to the customers order (there was a royalty on each installation). Moths so fitted have a different top wing rib structure to the un-slotted wing.

Moths.. Simples.

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4