De Havilland D.H.60 Gipsy Moth, double build, 1/72 Avis and Amodel kits

A rather classic subject, and thus unusual for me, but here is a build of two Moths.
I bought the Amodel and Avis releases believing they were different molds, but no luck.
A very old Amodel mold was released long ago, and that was different (and not in a good way).
Therefore, here are two Moths, one for me and other for dear friend David the Tall of Chicago.
As much I may know about really arcane subjects, I am a total illiterate on these widespread types, and had to start to educate myself.
In any case, here are the boxings and contents.
There are many versions out there in different releases, but apparently the sprues are more or less the same. Save that the seaplane has floats, of course, and the Amodel has an extra wing with slats.

IMG_0020+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_0020a+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_0020b+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_0020c+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The quality is in general good, a lot of detail, not easy to handle (cleanup). The fit is... well, you know the drill, short-run fit-like. It is often described as "indifferent".

But hey, they release wonderful civil subjects for a moderate price, so good for them for that!

The masters for these kits are excellent, it's just the molding process that gives an impression of lack of definition.

I can't comment on accuracy, as I do not know this plane at all, but I like what I see.

IMG_0022+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I started with the cockpits, but noticed the strange absence of the front joystick.

IMG_0097+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Nope, nothing in the instructions. Therefore I must conclude that in my ignorance I didn't know that the first pilot handles the rudder, while the GIB takes care of the stick.
It Takes Two to Tango!:

IMG_0098+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

That Gypsy Moth Coupe kit is near the top of my “to do” stash, planning to use the box top markings (part of my Arctic / Antarctic fetish). So, I’ll be watching carefully to steal see what you do. 
- Bill

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, billn53 said:

That Gypsy Moth Coupe kit is near the top of my “to do” stash, planning to use the box top markings (part of my Arctic / Antarctic fetish). So, I’ll be watching carefully to steal see what you do. 
- Bill

Darn, I won't be able to do the Jedi mind trick on you this time, you already bought it!

These are not your droids, but you need a second kit for spares...

• Haha 3

Hi Moa

I hope you are well, very interesting choices and I will try and tag along as I love your build, I just don't get much time on here at the moment.  

The front joystick was stowed on the starboard side of the cockpit I think ( I am no I and could be wrong) but I think it would be stowed on the frame that slopes up forward towards the firewall if that makes sense.

Good luck with your builds

All the best

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Moa

I hope you are well, very interesting choices and I will try and tag along as I love your build, I just don't get much time on here at the moment.  

The front joystick was stowed on the starboard side of the cockpit I think ( I am no I and could be wrong) but I think it would be stowed on the frame that slopes up forward towards the firewall if that makes sense.

Good luck with your builds

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris!

Hope is well with you too.

Appreciate the input!

In any case, the instructions apparently tell you to install the back joystick (as I did :angry:) where the compass should be (pyramidal shape bit), for what I can tell from images. The aft joystick should be closer to the back seat.

I think I will add a front stick anyway, it looks lacking without it.

This is the first occasion in recent times that I start a build/s without really studying the subject. I am winging it, so to speak, if the pun is permitted.

I do have references, but I will keep things simple for these two, as they are actually more of a "twiddling fingers builds" while I wait for the stuff to complete several projects that are otherwise ready, only needing those last bits.

The general state of the mail in the world is not helping, but that's a very minor annoyance, considered the whole picture.

Cheers

• Like 5

No worries Moa, I am pleased that I actually know something that is useful !!!  I lost the joystick for the front cockpit in mine do have just used a length of rid in it's stowed position as won't be too visible when assembled.  The instructions aren't the best, but as you said kudos to them for releasing the subject.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

I have one of the boxings and notwithstanding what you have written about the kit quality, It is still streets ahead of the old Frog kit that I converted into a DH60M back in 1978. The boxings for the kit reflect what a complicated history the DH60 had. A major difference is that a fabric covered metal fuselage was introduced in the late 1920's, mainly for customers in hot countries and leading age slats were fitted. John Aero may come along and be able to give you a much better guide than I ever could. 

• Thanks 1

Excellent timing, Moa. I will use (rather cowardly, I admit) your superior building speed and let you sweep away the obstacles from the way for my Genet Moth build elsewhere on this forum. Please notice the rectangular aperture in the cockpit floor needs a lot of careful trimming to accept the insert without filling nasty gaps later and in my kit I had to adjust the lower wing central area in order to maintain the correct dihedral after inserting the fuselage. Nevertheless, so far nothing unexpected with a mediocre quality shortrun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mr T said:

I have one of the boxings and notwithstanding what you have written about the kit quality, It is still streets ahead of the old Frog kit that I converted into a DH60M back in 1978. The boxings for the kit reflect what a complicated history the DH60 had. A major difference is that a fabric covered metal fuselage was introduced in the late 1920's, mainly for customers in hot countries and leading age slats were fitted. John Aero may come along and be able to give you a much better guide than I ever could. 

Thanks Mr T!

And I agree, I have seen the old molds and it was a sight not to remember, and this is a big step forward no doubt.

Yes, I was also hoping John will bestow his wisdom on this. Although I am afraid it will be a lot of wisdom for my moderate goals with this build 😁

Cheers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Patrik said:

Excellent timing, Moa. I will use (rather cowardly, I admit) your superior building speed and let you sweep away the obstacles from the way for my Genet Moth build elsewhere on this forum. Please notice the rectangular aperture in the cockpit floor needs a lot of careful trimming to accept the insert without filling nasty gaps later and in my kit I had to adjust the lower wing central area in order to maintain the correct dihedral after inserting the fuselage. Nevertheless, so far nothing unexpected with a mediocre quality shortrun.

Hi Patrik

Thanks very much for the heads-up!

In such little kit small things may translate into big annoyances.

Will keep and eye!

Cheers

I'm looking forward to this one. A very historic aircraft with many firsts and record breaking flights including Amy Johnson's solo flight to Australia and Francis Chichester's round the world attempt. He named his yachts Gypsy Moth II and III in honour of his "little aeroplane".

ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I'm looking forward to this one. A very historic aircraft with many firsts and record breaking flights including Amy Johnson's solo flight to Australia and Francis Chichester's round the world attempt. He named his yachts Gypsy Moth II and III in honour of his "little aeroplane".

ian

Hi Ian

Thanks for the added interest.

This is good for me in the sense that I know absolutely nothing about this type of planes, "normal", well known, produced in large numbers, and popular. In fact, it's an area that I usually avoid, being attracted to darker corners of the aviation universe. Thus I am completely out of my comfort zone. The closest I came is scratch-building the DH83 (before the kit was released) that was is posted here:

But in that case my attention turned to the DH82, that shared some elements with the DH83.

Chris, my surf instructor in Hawaii, an old and wise Hawaiian man that I respect a lot, taught me a wonderful (life) lesson:

""Once at the shore, do not jump in like an idiot, blind in your enthusiasm, drunk with eagerness. That's when you may allow bad things to happen, or won't be able to avoid the hazards in your state of enhanced stupidity.

Stop, look at the ocean, listen to it. Understand what it is telling you. It's not about "cooling down", or tempering your joy, or diminishing or curbing your enthusiasm, on the contrary, it is about going deeper, going in fully, with your awareness deployed.""

I shall listen.

Cheers

• Like 4

I know what version friend David wants, on wheels, but I still haven't decided which would I do, just in case, I am building the trolley and floats (clamped in the photo):
IMG_0105+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

What??? what are these parts doing in MY sprues!
Heresy! Sabotage! Get off my building board!

IMG_0106+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

My guess is that they got things wrong here. The parts should go where the little squares are, not where the plan is indicating:

IMG_0107+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

As in there:

IMG_0108+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Cleaning proceeds carefully, but at a good pace:

IMG_0113+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The closer I look at the parts as I clean them,  the more respect I develop for the master maker.
The impression of vagueness comes actually form the molding process and the sprue trees and gates, not the parts themselves.

IMG_0114+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I also love that with these kits you get a lot of spares!!

IMG_0115+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 8