1/700 HMS Prince of Wales Flyhawk Deluxe

Hello all,

Flyhawk 1/700 Deluxe HMS Prince of Wales 1941 Denmark Strait version, Flyhawk wooden deck.

Think she’s done. Superb kit, pretty faultless, my only whine would be I would have liked brass masts. I beefed them up a bit with the odd brass rod but I think you can always tell the plastic on the finished article. I’m learning in leaps and bounds about ship modelling and 1/700 in particular. Please feel free to say what you think I could improve upon and how.

I always feel macro photography shows a totally different model to the one I see with my eyes. In hindsight, (and with the benefit of looking at the magnified photos)  I would have found a finer, non hairy ‘rope’ for the lifeboats. Any ideas of what I could use for this scale in particular? Jamie? @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies . The ‘baubles’ (don’t know what they’re called) on the rigging could be more spherical 🤔

I’ve just got the Deluxe Flyhawk kits of ‘Scharnhorst’, ‘HMS Penelope’ & ‘Bismarck’ - that should keep me busy for a couple of weeks! 

Thanks for those that took the time to follow the build.

Sorry, lots of pictures!

Thanks,

Guy

ps I may even put this one on a base - still planning that.

ED6-A4449-AA8-A-4-ED6-AC1-B-4-E86-CCC846

18-B01685-5-B53-4021-AAE6-E0-A18-CB3-DCA

0-C09-CAEA-6804-4-A7-A-B31-F-46715-F78-D

1-C61-D825-CB8-E-4-E44-8-BFE-4-A1666-E8-

35-E21-A36-0-AC2-478-F-AD6-F-89-B6-EB28-

796645-AB-1-EDF-4-C27-9-A69-F988553-BFDB

820376-BF-D613-497-F-BA19-539-EDEEEAFAA.

8-C1-C43-F4-E377-4-F60-9584-6680-F073-A0

95215-D8-C-FEB1-4025-B5-F2-F259-BFFEB09-

9819-B07-C-9456-446-F-A9-E3-9-C2662-EA25

99827887-E44-B-418-A-9140-1-E51166-F3117

A1-E6-FE2-E-FBAC-4086-9332-366-AC55-E847

AB2-FAA75-17-C2-49-DC-B56-E-9426922-F921

ACA5-B8-F3-1-A26-4-A41-A783-C04-DE4-A51-

B17-C9-D08-5-CA3-480-C-A2-FE-818815-C81-

E1051-F3-D-820-E-40-CE-894-A-85-B0671-DA

E2-F65-FC0-6584-4-B6-B-AD35-D4-AE1649590

F6553054-9A40-4E64-B5DC-825F14CCE456.jpg

FC4DA09A-E9E6-4EBC-85FC-5CF903979818.jpg

• Like 44
  • Thanks 4

Wow this is insanely good!

The lifeboats are great, I hadn't intended to rig mine but having seen these I am going to have to try at least!

The weathering is spot on. 

What is the next project?

Edited by OutcastJoel
  • Like 1

Guy, that is amazing, I wish you would give lessons in photo etch and even more so in rigging, I have quite a little fleet waiting to be rigged. This is what inspires me on my builds, when i see something as great as this. Now get on with the next one 😂.

Mick

• Like 1

That is a wonderful result! The amount of detail shown is fabulous, even the bridges over the catapult! If my Derfflinger is half as good as this, I will be a happy chappy! And built so quickly too...

Great one!

Ray

• Like 1

Many thanks guys,

A great fun kit, I would heartily recommend building one.

17 hours ago, OutcastJoel said:

Wow this is insanely good!

The lifeboats are great, I hadn't intended to rig mine but having seen these I am going to have to try at least!

The weathering is spot on. 

What is the next project?

Hi Joel,

Thanks. Well, I’ve got HMS Penelope, Scharnhorst and Bismarck on the bench all calling out to me. I think I may do Penelope first and then Scharnhorst then Bismarck. By the time I get to Bismarck I should be more up to speed on techniques and have a little more experience under my belt. It’s probably the ultimate kit!

Guy 

• Like 3

This is very impressive and incredibly well-detailed at this 1/700 scale. Amazing job.👍

I haven't yet ventured to do the various insulators and blocks on rigging and aerials, even at 1/350 - it would require some practice on test rigs probably.

I've been using brown Easythread (?) for the rope rigging (de-stranded for halyards in 1/350, and mostly halved in width for 1/700) but it looks too pale and would need painting a darker hemp colour. I've found some very thin embroidery thread of a rope colour that works for 1/350 mooring/towing ropes (possibly OK for 1/700 at a pinch) - on HMS Mermaid - I run it through diluted white pva glue (between my thumb and forefinger) to reduce/eliminate the fibrous look.

Keep up the good work!

• Thanks 1

Another excellent build Guy and I think you've cracked the ensign on this build - the signal flags add an extra splash of colour and detail as well (can't work out what you're signalling though :) ).

You'll have to turn your considerable talents to a seascape next sir.

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1

Thanks again,

@Richard E - obviously I haven’t a clue re signals, I was waiting for someone to tell me I’ve just said something rude or nonsensical! 

I would love to have a go at a seascape, there are some talented guys out there that do it. I just want one of them to come round and show me how!

Guy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gisbod said:

@Richard E - obviously I haven’t a clue re signals, I was waiting for someone to tell me I’ve just said something rude or nonsensical! 

Without access to a copy of the WW2 naval signalling handbook its difficult to determine exactly what the signal means - it's not the same as the current system used in NATO where I could probably have a pretty good stab at it.  However, the individual flags you're flying are Order Pendant, 5, Lima, Mike, ????, Deployment Pendant.  I'm confused by the fifth flag in the hoist which is why I've marked it as a query.  It may just be the effect of the photograph but is that a green and white check or blue and white?  If blue and white, it's flag Zulu; if green and white it isn't shown in the limited references that I have.

Given that the Order and Deployment Pendants haven't been used for 50-odd years (maybe more), i have no idea what special meaning they bring!  i think you'll be fine.

Only other comment I would make is that if were the XO, I'd be screaming for my Chief Communications Yeoman to get the ensign close up and halyard taught!

But seriously, this is another extremely impressive piece of work.  Not only is it in the insanely small scale of 1/700 and you've got details in there that many of us can't achieve in 1/350, but you've achieved it in the same timescale that I might have got the hull and main deck together.  So to you, in modern signal flags, I say:

bravo-zulu-flags.jpeg

(which for the uninitiated is Bravo Zulu, the standard naval signal for well done)

Edited by Chewbacca
Spooling urrers
  • Like 1

Ha! Thanks for that, I probably ought to research it and make something legible next time (blue & white btw.

Thats kind of you to say so Chewbacca, it is a demanding scale, that’s for sure, I’m determined to crack it one day! I feel like every project increases my knowledge, so onwards & upwards (hopefully 😀)

Guy

Hello Guy!

This is an absolute masterpiece! With the speed at which it was built, your day must have 36 hours!

It is difficult to see in the photos how tiny all these exactly built parts really are.

I think 1/700 ship models are the biggest challenge in model building.

Regards

Andreas

• Like 1

Wow, just seen this one. What can I say. That really is an awesome looking job. Everything about it looks superb. I want to get back into 1/700 and 1/350 modelling myself at some point, but 1/700 can be scarily small. I have a half started US Minesweeper and some of the brass etch is so small. I'm treating it as a background job to some of my aircraft and AFV projects at the moment, but this has inspired me to carry on!

Well done indeed Guy.

Terry

PS forgot to mention the rigging I can see on the the Walrus - AMAZING!

• Like 1

Wow! I did not quite appreciate the size of this kit until you posted the picture of the glue next to it - I thought it was much bigger thanks to the detailing on it. Top stuff, really really impressive.

• Like 1