1/72 BI-1

RJBud1

This is my thread for my old, unknown manufacturer BI-1. I bought it bagged.

This is what the sprue looks like.

spacer.png

I will finish this model in one 24 hour sitting.

I just started at 2:16 EST, so I'll have to finish by 2:16 EST tomorrow.

Here is the parts after initial cleanup.

spacer.png

The cockpit is very simple, just a seat and a base.

I'm undecided if I want to make anything more advanced. I gave all parts a warm bath after removing flash and sanding.

The basic cockpit: spacer.png

• Like 2

Now I've masked and painted everything, 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now everything has the Soviet color green on.

spacer.png

The paint came out a bit rough, so I sanded it with some 2000 grit sandpaper until I got a smooth appearance.

I wasn't satisfied with the canopy. But in honesty, I should have just left it.

(I wasn't too happy with how this canopy came out, so I rubbed a little acetone to get the paint off. But oh no! Now its all foggy!)

spacer.png

spacer.png

I added some paint with a brush to it.. My plan was to scrape the excess off with a toothpick...but, it didn't work out...

I ended up making it worse and just rubbed some acetone to clear off the paint, but I underestimated the strength of it.

spacer.png

Anyone know how to fix this? Would the floor polish technique take care of it? Or do I have to give up and push this model into the trash? Its all white and foggy now. If I wet it, it still looks foggy.... 😕

• Like 2

Decided I'm going to leave the windows faded, as there's no other option.

On the brightside, the canopy is painted the way I wanted it.

spacer.png

Downside is, when I was removing masking tape from the camo on the fuselage, the tail cracked. Easy fix though.

DXy52Te.jpg

Canopy is mock fitted. Seems to be an OK fit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm going to add another coat of camo since I did something stupid - that is, put the camo on both sides of the plane before putting it together. (Dum dum, I am ! :P

• Like 1

spacer.png

Now that the two parts are fully conjoined, I can see there is a gap.

I thought the gap wasn't wide enough to be visible when painted. In other words, I thought the paint would fill it in.spacer.png

Well, even after coating it with another coat of green, the gap still exists. So I'll let this paint dry and then get the putty out.

Time to pull weeds for an hour while the paint dries.....

RJ

Putty dried.

I'll try to have the model finished by 2:16 today. (EST)

spacer.png

Now I gave it a quick rough sand.

spacer.png

I also took a tiny drill bit and drilled 1mm portholes for the cannon armament. The kit had places to fit them, but they weren't deep enough.

spacer.png

After this I put a very light coat of superglue over any remaining gaps, after this cures I'll sand it with 1500 grit to 2000 grit.

Now off to paint the cannons....

KgKOR1C.jpg

Now I have sanded the super glue and its very smooth, with minor imperfections that don't bother me.

About 5 minutes ago I painted it.

yY61ath.jpg

nwdnF62.jpg

I'll let it sit for a minimum of 30-45 minutes near a fan, so I can quickly get the bicolor camouflage going. While I'm at it, I'll mix up some paints and get a "Soviet light blue" mixed. 

RJ

Finally got a good mix for the soviet light blue. This was a royal PITA.

Basically, I forgot to buy white paint to mix in, so I ended up having to experiment.

In the end, I ended up using Rock Tumbler polish containing Tin Oxide, a type of white pigment, to get my desired color.

VQ5BtFw.jpg

KoUNqj0.jpg

Finally done, after about 27 hours.

wTGkH5W.jpg

rOhk9p3.jpg

I know its not as good as most people here's models, but I'm 16 and am still learning. I personally am pretty happy with it, it was actually a bit of a tough kit in terms of fitting.

Thank you Charlie from Charlie's plastic models for having such a cool old kit available!

RJ

• Like 5