FAIREY SWORDFISH Mk II, Belgium, 1945.

Here's another build I did over on the 'In the Navy' GB, an Airfix new tool Swordfish.

Build thread is here;

A straight forward build, had to lengthen the Pavla Radome a bit but apart form that just the rigging was tricky with my fumbling fingers!

The extended exhaust, bigger oil cooler and wing aerials are from the Pavla set which also includes the cockpit hood and seating for the |Mk III.

This is a machine featured in Xtradecal sheet X72144, all Swordfish aircraft.

Apparently this is a Mk II airframe brought up to Mk III standard but retained the standard cockpit and 3-man crew, so I used a fair bit of modellers licence as to where to put the radar gear, eventually deciding to install it under the pilot. The observers scope can be seen under the coming behind the pilot in one of the shots.

Paints were the usual Vallejo ModelAir with Vallejo and Galeria Varnishes. Uschi thread for the rigging.

Weathering kept to a minimum, just a bit of dry-brushing to bring out some detail.

Comments and critism welcome.

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0003 DSC_0010 DSC_0005 DSC_0008 DSC_0009

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1

Nice!

I am also thinking on doing Airfix's Mk I as Mk II (not Mk III), so I have to be careful with all differences...

Rgerds

J-W

• Like 1

Terrific.  A very interesting scheme as I have only seen RCAF all black ones up until now.  Never seen Type C1s on a Stringbag before either.

• Thanks 1

A very interesting scheme as I have only seen RCAF all black ones up until now. 

MeatboxB:  Are you thinking of the Fairey Albacore?  The RCAF never operated the Swordfish. 

Scott

• Like 1

From "Swordfish Special" by W.A. Harrison, "Thus, on January 1, 1943, No, 1 Naval Air Gunners' School RCAF was formed.....Initially, Swordfish HS.209, 260-268, and 275 were on strength....", "....In October after a series of conferences between the higher echelons of the RCAF and the RCN an agreement was signed giving the RCAF management of all RCN shore-based air activities and this included air stores, supporting services, major aircraft repairs and maintenance"

• Like 1

Superb unusual Swordfish Davey, lovely crisp and clean build and well presented. Thanks for presenting something unusual, I love those black Swordfishes that went hunting by night.

I am tempted to repaint my white one now. I have a radar in my spares from the old FROG one.

regards, adey

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the positive comments people.

This is the fifth of Airfixs' new tool models I have done and like the rest was a pleasant build.

For some reason in the last couple of years I've started collecting various decal sheets just to build something different from what is in the box and perusing the interweb came across Xtradecals sheet for the Swordfish and Black Mischief' immediately grabbed my attention.

As it was researched by Tony O'Toole it must also be accurate? 😁

Davey.

3 hours ago, adey m said:

I have a radar in my spares from the old FROG one.

Hi, I think only the Matchbox one had radar and even this scheme in box (although in previous interpretation as overall black), the Frog was Mk I only, on floats or wheels :)

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, djos said:

Very nice work, clean and sharp. I like details, and how you managed black surfaces.

Overall great looking model

Regards Djordje

Thanks Djordje, the Black is simply Ultimate's Black Acrylic Primer airbrushed and I did a very, very light dry-brush over the surface with Dark Slate Grey (just what I happened to have at hand!)

Davey.

3 hours ago, JWM said:

I think only the Matchbox one had radar

OOPs, thanks for correcting me JWM, you are correct, it is from a Matchbox one

regards, adey

• Like 1

fubar57;   These Canadian-based RN Swordfish were not RCAF, but only maintained by the RCAF.

In October after a series of conferences between the higher echelons of the RCAF and the RCN an agreement was signed giving the RCAF management of all RCN shore-based air activities and this included air stores, supporting services, major aircraft repairs and maintenance"

The quote you furnished even confirms this. "...an agreement was signed giving the RCAF management of all RCN shore-based air activities and this included air stores, supporting services, major aircraft repairs and maintenance" , not flying and certainly not transferring the aircraft to the RCAF inventory in any way, shape or form.  These were always ex-RN aircraft transferred/loaned to the RCN, but in the care of RCAF 'ground crew and related admin. personnel' because the RCN at that time didn't have enough people trained within their own ranks to do the job on shore and at sea with the RN.  

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley

20 hours ago, Scott Hemsley said:

MeatboxB:  Are you thinking of the Fairey Albacore?  The RCAF never operated the Swordfish. 

Scott

I'm sure you are right.  I read an article in Aeroplane not long ago which I have clearly mis-remembered.  I'm also possibly mixing it up with 119 Squadron's all-black aircraft.  Brain's turning to mush due to Lockdown!

Meatbox8:  You were partially correct.  415 Squadron did fly all-black Fairey Albacore Mk.I, from Oct.'43 - July'44.

Lovely build, btw.  I've always thought that Airfix did a great job on the Swordfish.  Only wish they'd do the same for the Blackburn Shark Mk.II/III, so we have an alternative to the ancient Frog kit  🙂

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley
  • Thanks 1